tekksavvy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quartapound

Zakk link said:
Worst thing??  I have my old e-mail on allllll my business cards and alllllll my mailouts, contacts, etc.  Proving a point could be very costly.  I guess my business partner was right in that I should have been using a gmail account all this time.  :-[

just thought of somethin that could help you Zakk,

As an alternative, you might be able to find a method of transferring your email address to a friend's Rogers account - and then you could continue to monitor your email via Yahoo mail.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/1106/page/1 

..... but yes... use Gmail in the future lol

Z

Zakk

Quartapound link said:
[quote author=Zakk link=topic=2001.msg15355#msg15355 date=1327619466]
Worst thing??  I have my old e-mail on allllll my business cards and alllllll my mailouts, contacts, etc.  Proving a point could be very costly.  I guess my business partner was right in that I should have been using a gmail account all this time.  :-[

just thought of somethin that could help you Zakk,

As an alternative, you might be able to find a method of transferring your email address to a friend's Rogers account - and then you could continue to monitor your email via Yahoo mail.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/1106/page/1 

..... but yes... use Gmail in the future lol
[/quote]

That might work, cool tip.

I just went and bought proper e-mail accounts for my real domain names... probably something I should have done a long time ago, a little more professional considering my company keeps growing.  Good excuse to contact everyone I know too...

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
News flash...if it wasnt for the CRTC prices and competition would be even more pathetic than they already are.

Could they do more ya.....definitely not the free market at work though.

Z

Zakk

Darryl_V link said:
News flash...if it wasnt for the CRTC prices and competition would be even more pathetic than they already are.

Well, if the CRTC didn't pander so much to the big corps, and really anything Bell petitions them for, they get, unless it gets a huge public outcry (UBB for example). 

I'm just glad there is a choice (such as it is).  Our internet is actually paid for by my wife's company, this is more of a statement move.  I said to the guy "so your idea of increasing profits is to raise rates, instead of improving services and attracting more customers?"  (they have actually reduced services considerably over the past 5 years).  He had no answer for that one.  Example:  My apartments all used to have 'rogers light' internet, which had 50GIG of download per month.  Suddenly, they dropped it from 50 to 2(!!!).  I asked them at that point how a 96% reduction in download with a 0% reduction in price, is at all fair.  This latest round of price increases is just too much for me to take.  They claim it was a "CRTC DECISION" but correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they ask the CRTC for the increase??  To ask fo it, then say "it was mandated by the CRTC" seems retarded.  As far as I can tell, the CRTC seems intent on protecting the big corps, and doesn't do much at all to foster any kind of competition. 

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merged-rogers-annual-price-increases-coming-march-1st-2012-all-services-1130129/

Z

Zakk

As an interesting fact.

I am now having absolutely no luck sending e-mails from Eudora.  I use eudora because I have used it for years....and for the 15 or so years I have been with Rogers, I have never had a problem.  Now that I have told them I am leaving, it starts timing out and refusing connection.  Could be a coincidence, but the timing is suspect.  Very classy on their part. 

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Zakk link said:
[quote author=Darryl_V link=topic=2001.msg15377#msg15377 date=1327634019]

Well, if the CRTC didn't pander so much to the big corps, and really anything Bell petitions them for, they get, unless it gets a huge public outcry (UBB for example). 

I'm just glad there is a choice (such as it is).  Our internet is actually paid for by my wife's company, this is more of a statement move.  I said to the guy "so your idea of increasing profits is to raise rates, instead of improving services and attracting more customers?"  (they have actually reduced services considerably over the past 5 years).  He had no answer for that one.  Example:  My apartments all used to have 'rogers light' internet, which had 50GIG of download per month.  Suddenly, they dropped it from 50 to 2(!!!).  I asked them at that point how a 96% reduction in download with a 0% reduction in price, is at all fair.  This latest round of price increases is just too much for me to take.  They claim it was a "CRTC DECISION" but correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they ask the CRTC for the increase??  To ask fo it, then say "it was mandated by the CRTC" seems retarded.  As far as I can tell, the CRTC seems intent on protecting the big corps, and doesn't do much at all to foster any kind of competition. 

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merged-rogers-annual-price-increases-coming-march-1st-2012-all-services-1130129/
[/quote]People have a very poor understanding of the telecommunications technical and business aspects.  The CRTC does not pander to the big guys...what they do is put them in the corner for being bad..... but what you would like them to do is give them a knock out punch to the face.

Here is an interesting fact.  About 4 or 5yrs ago the CRTC regulated that bell couldnt restructure/reduce pricing on its home phone service until they lost 30% of their client base.  I would hardly call that pandering.  As well as being forced to offer there equipment and infastructure and employees service to resellers and the competition.  Like I said .....with out the CRTC competition in the country would be even more pathetic.

UBB is also a fair pricing structure....bandwidth costs money.  We all share the internet so a pay per use pricing structure is appropriate as long as the pricing structure itself is fair (which it isnt right now but that is the true issue).

Dont get me wrong....I agree more competition in Canada and Ontario is what we need....the question is how do we get there....

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Fair pricing in deed. Just look at overage charges. Charging $2 of overage fees when data costs 5 cents per gigabyte to transmit would actually be a 3,900% mark up. If they charged that for regular usage, 500gb a month of data transfer would only be $25 a month at their cost but would charge me $1000 a month to use it. They want to charge me $43.95 on a plan that includes 25 gb of data when it only cost them $1.25.

Fair pricing is the bottom line, I do not mind paying for what I use. I do that with my hydro, gas and water already. Mind you I do not pay per minute to watch TV, or talk on the phone (other then long distance), I also do not pay per minute on my cell phone or per km that I drive on the road. SO, are they suggesting that the internet be called a utility? That opens a whole new can of worms.

This is all that I had time to write this morning, I am sure this thread will go on for days/weeks :)

Z

Zakk

Darryl_V link said:
[quote author=Zakk link=topic=2001.msg15380#msg15380 date=1327639989]
[quote author=Darryl_V link=topic=2001.msg15377#msg15377 date=1327634019]

[/quote]People have a very poor understanding of the telecommunications technical and business aspects.  The CRTC does not pander to the big guys...what they do is put them in the corner for being bad..... but what you would like them to do is give them a knock out punch to the face.

Here is an interesting fact.  About 4 or 5yrs ago the CRTC regulated that bell couldnt restructure/reduce pricing on its home phone service until they lost 30% of their client base.  I would hardly call that pandering.  As well as being forced to offer there equipment and infastructure and employees service to resellers and the competition.  Like I said .....with out the CRTC competition in the country would be even more pathetic.

UBB is also a fair pricing structure....bandwidth costs money.  We all share the internet so a pay per use pricing structure is appropriate as long as the pricing structure itself is fair (which it isnt right now but that is the true issue).

Dont get me wrong....I agree more competition in Canada and Ontario is what we need....the question is how do we get there....
[/quote]

The issue with UBB was that it would benefit Rogers, for example, and punish any small competitor that had to 'buy bandwidth' from them.  So it instantly would have eliminated any small competitor offering unlimited bandwidth. Inone thread it was simplified down to actual bandwidth costing $.00001 per gig to actually transfer, and they wanted to charge $2 per gig to consumers.  That's an exaggeration I think, but not by much.  Competitors were buying the bandwidth for a fair price from providers, but charging a much better price to consumers.  The providers weren't losing any money, except from the loss of revenue from people that switched to the competition. 

The 50gig to 2 gig cap that I talked about... approved by the CRTC.  Right when netflix came into canada, rogers suddenly wanted to drop all their caps.  At 2 gig you can't even get one movie from netflix, but you could get it from 'rogers on demand'.  So conflict of interest approved by the CRTC in favour of a cable company.  Should rogers also be able to have a sports access channel AND own the blue jays AND have radio?  These are things the CRTC should address, but doesn't.  Why is there a regulated YEARLY increase in fees? What if costs actually go down in a calendar year, the fee increase is already approved.  This doesn't seem to me like the CRTC is in favour of competition at all, they let one company own, regulate and resell EVERYTHING.  And when another compnay comes along with a better deal, rogers runs to the CRTC with something like the UBB and -almost- gets it approved.  Only a huge public outcry stopped that.  Now they are trying for a backdoor UBB, because they have the CRTC convinced that they will go out of business

I will say that all the info I get about the CRTC, I get from online sources, I have probably read an encyclopedia of accusations on redflagdeals alone.  However, the overwhelming consensus seems to be that the CRTC is more interested in keeping itself a valid entity, then protecting consumers.  That said, I'm not an industry insider, and I'm not an activist, I just think we constantly get a raw deal here in Canada. Also, I don't want to get into an argument over it, as I like your corals too much  ;D

Z

Zakk

Torx link said:
Fair pricing in deed. Just look at overage charges. Charging $2 of overage fees when data costs 5 cents per gigabyte to transmit would actually be a 3,900% mark up. If they charged that for regular usage, 500gb a month of data transfer would only be $25 a month at their cost but would charge me $1000 a month to use it. They want to charge me $43.95 on a plan that includes 25 gb of data when it only cost them $1.25.

Fair pricing is the bottom line, I do not mind paying for what I use. I do that with my hydro, gas and water already. Mind you I do not pay per minute to watch TV, or talk on the phone (other then long distance), I also do not pay per minute on my cell phone or per km that I drive on the road. SO, are they suggesting that the internet be called a utility? That opens a whole new can of worms.

This is all that I had time to write this morning, I am sure this thread will go on for days/weeks :)

I don't think it's actual cost is $.05 per gig, I think that was a number brought out by the cable company that encompassed all their overhead, and even investment losses or something like that, it was a HUGELY manipulated number, and even then it was a fraction of what they wanted to charge for it. 

Z

Zakk

Blob-79 link said:
i say we start a frag tank action group and stick it to the man

We're far too cheap and lazy for that.  We stare at sticks for a hobby for god's sake :)

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Zakk link said:
[quote author=Blob-79 link=topic=2001.msg15413#msg15413 date=1327687617]
i say we start a frag tank action group and stick it to the man

We're far too cheap and lazy for that.  We stare at sticks for a hobby for god's sake :)
[/quote]

;D ;D ;D

Z

Zakk

Well this is the big day.  Rogers already put the 'install' off by a few days because they said I gave them the wrong postal code (except the only one they had is the right one).  So I have to take my modem back to rogers, hope they actually cancel my service, then a ROGERS guy is supposed to be here bewteen 11am and next fall to set up the teksavvy modem.  I plan to follow the guy around even out to the box to see what he does, since it's already a flawless install. :sigh:  see you guys in the fall!

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
It is just because they are all bitter. However with their latest win with the CRTC, places like Teksavvy will slowly disappear. They already had to lay off 56 people.

Z

Zakk

Well, I'll enjoy it as long as I can.  The transfer was painless (mostly), and the install guy didn't do anything at all, not even sure why he showed up.  He wanted to put a lockbox on my electrical meter, and I said "no", and that was it, he just left.  As soon as I returned the old modem, the new one started up. 

So what did rogers, er bell er I mean the CRTC (I can never tell them apart) screw us with now?

Z

Zakk

Two weeks in, and I can honestly say that Teksavvy absolutely RULES.  ;D

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Great to hear. I have been with them for years. No complaints to date. Well, maybe a small one...sometimes customer/tech assistance takes forever to reach. I just press the button and they call me when there is someone available, you will hear it on the prompts.

Z

Zakk

Torx link said:
Great to hear. I have been with them for years. No complaints to date. Well, maybe a small one...sometimes customer/tech assistance takes forever to reach. I just press the button and they call me when there is someone available, you will hear it on the prompts.

Yeah, I read a lot about the complaints... if I had been in downtown Toronto I never would have even considered them.  ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.