To drill or not to drill

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
J_T link said:
Well, now you can get ready for next year! I have no doubt that people would pay the right $$ for some colonies, and not just frags!

Perhaps the fall.... If you look on GTAA it has been hinted that someone is planning to do a TO show. Perhaps they will contact you for some pointers!

Can't really blame them.  Hell, I might go as a simple vendor :)

Put it this way... there is WAY more money to be made, and less to be spent, as a vendor.  My motivation wasn't money when I decided to do one, so the only advice I would give someone would be "don't plan to pay off your house".  ;D

However, I am in the fortunate situation that both my wife and I make good money elsewhere, and this can remain a truly fun -hobby-

I really should have had a helper that could sell coral (not that my almost son-in-law wasn't awesome for showing up in my daughter's place!).  I wanted to spend more time checking out the other booths.  You had stuff I wanted to see (should have bought that little scope when I saw it!).  I'll want you to make up a custom ato tank with 2 of those dosing tanks attached, and a built in funnel for the ato.  I'll draw it out soon!

vdubz

I had a feeling...hope you hand the reigns to someone else for that one. Like you said on the other thread, a lot more politics...

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Little update.  Running for a couple of months, just got dosers for ca and alk today, so that will simplify things a bit, just have to add a top up system and I think I'm good.  It has been a lot of experimentation to figure out what will go where, what will bleach out and what browns out, and I think everything is coming around.  It's definitely nice that I can bring a large 'colony' from the DT and put it in here, let it adjust before chopping it into smaller frags. 

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Love the use of the neon rods with black crate. There are tons of different lighting areas for different corals, nicely planned.

Nice little regal tang, can not wait to get one in my tank. I think you have a little gsp outbreak kicking there though  :eek:  ;).

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Yah gotta give kudos to BS for the inanimate carbon rod.  All hail the rod!

I plan to add in a few more shelves of egg crate, just have to get more of those waterproof magnets, this sweet setup already got me some kickass aragonite sand!  :)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Unboxed the reef octopus pumps tonight, man they must have been in the box for ages, the tubes inside the rollers were fused together, had to take them completely apart and replace the tubing, right out-of-the-box. 

Seem to work now though, starting with 10ml a day of each then I'll start doing testing of alk, Ca and magnesium.

Added a bunch more substrate today, pulled all the random colonies off the sand and cleaned it all up, I think the algae is finally subsiding, there was an outbreak of cotton candy algae but it sort of just went away. 

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
So 8 or 9 months later....

The tank pretty much went through everything shitty you can think of..diatoms, valonia, some huge outbreak of some sort of cotton candy algae, and then.....DINOS.    It forced me to upgrade the pico skimmer to a reef octopus (thanks brandon), but as fast as the problems came, they left.  knock on wood the tank looks stable and I can finally think about putting frags back in.  So it looks like it takes a tank ~9 months to 'mature'.  That said, it will likely explode with HA tomorrow, or some other incredibly bothersome pest. 

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Salty Cracker link said:
So 8 or 9 months later....

The tank pretty much went through everything shitty you can think of..diatoms, valonia, some huge outbreak of some sort of cotton candy algae, and then.....DINOS.    It forced me to upgrade the pico skimmer to a reef octopus (thanks brandon), but as fast as the problems came, they left.  knock on wood the tank looks stable and I can finally think about putting frags back in.  So it looks like it takes a tank ~9 months to 'mature'.  That said, it will likely explode with HA tomorrow, or some other incredibly bothersome pest.
i miss having a tank

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I almost would have given it back free over the past couple of months, it was a godforsaken mess in there, but I just let it be and it worked itself out.  :dead:  Someone gave me that good advice  :dead:  so it's a good thing I followed it.  :dead:

RYOUNVS

davesolo29 link said:
Yup.  Nothing to it.  Glad it went well.  You will never have an undrilled tank ever again.  Heck! You will be looking for reasons to drill more holes now.  Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well if anyone is ever 'looking' for a reason to drill a tank... and lives close to Sarnia... feel free to come on over and drill my 125 long!

reeffreak

Super Active Member
RYOUNVS link said:
[quote author=davesolo29 link=topic=4961.msg48181#msg48181 date=1365835037]
Yup.  Nothing to it.  Glad it went well.  You will never have an undrilled tank ever again.  Heck! You will be looking for reasons to drill more holes now.  Lol

Well if anyone is ever 'looking' for a reason to drill a tank... and lives close to Sarnia... feel free to come on over and drill my 125 long!
[/quote]

What size hole you need? Ive got bits and drill.

RYOUNVS

reeffreak link said:
[quote author=RYOUNVS link=topic=4961.msg69179#msg69179 date=1385003392]
[quote author=davesolo29 link=topic=4961.msg48181#msg48181 date=1365835037]

[/quote]

What size hole you need? Ive got bits and drill.

[/quote]

No idea what size, I'm sure you all can tell me better! I have a 6ft long, 125 gallon aquarium. Suggestions?

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Depends what you are doing for overflow styles.  1.5" drains is more than adequate for the bean style.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
1" was barely adequate on this 35 gallon, I would have done 1.5 - 2" drains if I could do it again.  Now can you guys piss off and make your own thread?  :)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
So 8 months, and finally it's taking care of itself.  I should have taken a 4 month pic, but I was really thinking it wouldn't pull through.