To New Beginnings :)

Marz

Latest update. So far, water changes, skimmer cleaning and replacing floss every week seems to be working (knock on wood). I have a couple of questions as I just saw this little guy (Pic 1) which I think is a baby trochus...is that correct? Also, I have only seen 1, should there be more, or is this just how it works? BTW, if it is a trochus, it is very very small.

I didn't take a picture of the ricordea, but it is stretching off it's rock and getting bigger. I haven't figured out how to put it on another rock so that it can stretch.

I watched a bunch of my crabs (red legged that came with my blue and have since been moved to frag tank) destroy a trochus snail and pull it out of it's shell. They have also beaten the bejessuss out of a few nassarius'. Is this normal?

Also, Pic 2 is of the blasto. It is getting really big with 10 heads. Should I take a rock from my frag tank and put the blasto on it so that it can really spread out?

Pic 3 - I am not sure what this is, but I can see growth :)

Pic1
BabyTrochus_zps42be206c.jpg

Blasto (Pic2)
blasto_zpsda7f9044.jpg

Unknown (Pic 3) - decent extension?
Unsurewhatthisis_zps228932b3.jpg

I really love Torches - they show great movement. I have been eyeing a gold one but they aren't cheap
Purpletorch_zps0e3134f8.jpg

Radio Active Dragon eyes
RDE_zps324e3123.jpg

I really like Birdsnest, their polyps have good extension and it is growing quite well :)
greenbirdsnest_zpsfbd63101.jpg

And here is my teal one.
TealBirdsnest_zps62087193.jpg

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
All seems normal and I believe your unknown coral is a digitata of some sort I just can't think of name. Nice photos btw .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Looking awesome! :cool:

I have all of my blasto colonies on rocks. Love them.

IMO All hermit crabs are evil, some are just more evil than others.... Most "clean up crew" belong in messy predator tanks where the inhabitants rip up food but won't eat the small bits.

Do we really want to overfeed to the point that we need to throw a hand full of opportunistic predators into the tank to consume the excess?

BTW that is not aimed at you...you're doing great...just my general CUC rant...lol

Marz

Lol...I've got crabs. I am going to move most of them over to the frag tank tbh. I should have know that I had put too many, but at least it wasn't a major faux pas on my part. I was satisfied with the trichina and nassarius. If I lived closer to some members I would gladly donate a few.

Marz

Thanks very much! I will take one over the weekend. Had a bit of an accident so haven't been very mobile (nothing serious), so I haven't been able to do much (incl. my weekly water change:( ) I think that I have decided to look for another clown fish, maybe a platinum or one that isn't too expensive. I bought a fan to keep the temp normalized better during the summer, so I feel more comfortable about putting the top on until the fish in the DT learn how to get along. Unibob may have some Melanarus Wrasse's in soon, so I am hoping to add one as well. Fragbox has some photosynthetic gorgonians so I thought that I would also give that a try. The growth seems good in the DT, but I can only seem to keep a couple of types of zoas. Even the ones that I moved into the fragtank don't seem to be doing all that well - I am starting to believe that with zoas it is somewhat trial and error...but then again, I am still a newbie!

Marz

So, after much deliberation, I decided to go to advanced reef aquatics (BTW, Flavio is a great guy and the kids really liked him), to get a new pair of clowns. I moved the "crazy clown" into my frag tank...with the one she drove out, and purchased a pair of beautiful Flurry clowns for a wicked price. They are doing well and have already eaten in the tank (Flavio showed me they were eating pellets:) ). Here's a full pic of the tank, still bare, but I like to take my time. Also, a pic of the newbies :)

Full_tank_shot_zpsa1fcf49b.jpg

New "Flurry Pair"
Flurry_Pair_zpsa75bb2f5.jpg

Marz

Thanks! I am pretty stoked about the new guys. They are quite beautiful. I am stuck home today (will miss the Vaughan Fragmeet :( ), so I thought I would take a few more pictures. Will be moving the majority of the "little bast$%#s" into my frag tank as they are very destructive. I also have now seen what I believe are 2 baby Trochus snails and I am hoping that they survive. Still struggling with the zoa's that weren't doing so well, but have moved the light up in the fragtank and this seems better. I am hoping to add a gorgonian and dendro over the next week if I can make it out (not very mobile right now).
I am starting to see green and purple coraline staring in spots so I am very happy so far. Interesting hobby as the tenants in the tank will let you know if things are "off", but you really have to spend time understanding your tank (well at least this is what I think) to see any subtle changes. I knock on wood everytime I make a post :)

Onto some pics.
Torches Mouth.
TorchMouth1_zpsb8be7513.jpg

Sam the Shrimp had another molt today! so he's doing well. He is my hitch hiker when I am cleaning my tank. Likes to ride on my hand and clean :) The 2 new clowns aren't intimidated by him so that is good.
Sam2ndmolt_zpse0f7a276.jpg

My Eagles eyes are doing well and have great coloring. There has been 1 new polyp, but they seem to be very slow growers.
EagleEyes_zps105150b2.jpg

My RDE. Through a members suggestion, I had moved them onto their own rock so that they don't take over everything. They seem to grow very quickly and have already started to move off the plug onto the rock provided.
RDEGrowth_zps21427443.jpg

The "little bast#@s" I have 6 that will be moved to the frag tank once I get the cleaning done today. They knock stuff over all the time and get into places that I didn't even know where there

LittleBastards_zps81f127e2.jpg

I always forget what this is, but you can see the "horns" of growth. I picked this one as it was very odd the shape it is growing in. I am hoping to mount it today on the main rocks as it's been sitting on the bottom. Doing well with good extension :)
Growth_zps31bc5926.jpg

And lastly one of the new clowns. I have to be honest, although they are "designer" I guess, they really are quite beautiful. They also are very friendly and very active which makes the family happy as the others weren't so much.
FrontPictureFLurry_zps31da64eb.jpg

Marz

Ok, thanks. From what i just read, this sometimes happens in newer tanks and they generally are self-limiting. I love this hobby, how things change, new things grow, some die ( :().

Marz

It has been a busy summer in general (I know preaching to the choir). However, I figure I was due for an update. I haven't really added much, as I have been more concerned with getting my frag tank up and running so that I can decide on what goes in my DT based on color. Enough chitter chatter so I'll get at 'er with pics. - one thought though - I am looking for suggestions to add different colors in my DT and not just zoas. Through suggestions here, duncans, Alex at theFragcave got some beautiful recordeas - any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Love the new clowns. Anytime a member of the family is around (including the dog), they come to see what's up. Not shy at all. Then they vie for our attention. Great fish and the kids love them. BTW one of my favourite shots. I think this is the female as "she's bigger" and controls the other one when feeding or trying to get my attention.
LittleFishycurious_zpsf5a0a156.jpg

The Little'r one :) Likes to do the "dance"
littlefishy2_zpsf66e18ac.jpg

My ricordea that survived my Coral Glue debacle. Seems to be doing better. You can see on the right hand side where it is still in the process of "repairing itself" But it is puffy once again.
ricorecovering_zpsf38dfb46.jpg

I really dig my shrimp, also comes out from behind the rock when it notices something. Like to chase the fish from food, but they all get their fair share :) Sam will strike a pose every now and again for the camera. How often should they molt?
sammystaring_zpsf9716bf9.jpg

One of my baby trochus snails. SW truly is very interesting as to what occurs in a tank. I had not expected that I would get "smallies" So far there are only 2.

Trochusbaby1_zps76641fad.jpg

Blastoff is one of my fav's. I am still trying to figure out what to put this guy on. I have been thinking about using a tile so that it can spread out better as currently there is no room for it to grow. Any suggestions for what type of tile that I could use?
blastoff_zps089bf736.jpg

Teal Birdsnest. Growing well. And I get great polyp extension on these guys...yes I know most of my frags are begginers, but I can live with that :)
TealNestGrowing_zps9541c2a4.jpg

I never remember, or at least haven't found out what this is. I loved the shape of it and mounted it to the side of one of my rocks. Very nice looking frag that seems to be doing very well. I am not sure if you can notice the "horns" (that's what I call them) of growth on the tips. This was the frag that a piece broke off when I mounted it and is now in my frag tank.
favhanger_zps0bd3ca3c.jpg

Marz

I have been looking for a leather ever since I walked into Flavio's store...so...was there on the weekend...great price...and my daughter really liked it. So voila. Also thought I would post a fts.

Looking forward to Saturday :)

newestedition1_zps9aa5352b.jpg

newestedition2_zpsb997eb3a.jpg

fulltankshot_zps030ff755.jpg