To New Beginnings :)

Jewel

It does look like Bubble Algae, I would take it out of the water and discard it. Often this is the way it makes it into your tank. I know it did mine, thanks to a Frag I bought from another reefer. The others I'm not sure of.

Marz

Bubbles gone. How would they transfer throughout the tank?
Vermitid snail, busted up. Didn't read too many good things about them TBH.

Thanks for the insight!

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Marz link said:
Bubbles gone. How would they transfer throughout the tank?
Vermitid snail, busted up. Didn't read too many good things about them TBH.

Thanks for the insight!

Bubble algae most easily spreads when bubbles are popped in tank as the spores released are like hungry sperm looking for an egg, except these spores will just settle for something to grow on, like an STD.

Hope this made the bubble algae thing clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marz

Thanks, now that I have identifications I was able to research. I will have to check my nitrates again tonight, but they have been in line. Between the vermitid snail and the bubble algae, it would seem that they aren't in-line.

None-the-less, I have also been looking at image of hair algae online to try and see if this in fact is also what I have. Is this hair algae?
hair1_zps830691a6.jpg

hair2_zpsc2e4b5b7.jpg

Marz

Latest update....

I have to say that my cleaner shrimp HAS to be the coolest in the tank. Anytime I am near, he's there expecting to get fed. Anytime my hand is in the tank, he decides to ride on my wrist until I am finished. I also had the opportunity of dropping by Flexin5's place this week to pick up a Birdsnest that I have been wanting to get for awhile. Love the way it looks, and apparently went WAY OVERBOARD on the CG to the plug...but wth, first try with this. Also noticing that RDE zoa is a crazy grower. SO I don't have to take a hammer and chisel to my rocks later on, my plan this weekend is to make some special "plates" to put any zoas on to grow them out (a great suggestion btw, wish I thought of it). Anyway, thought I would post some pics since I also added the blue legged hermit crabs, wicked little cleaners that's for sure....and the BEST PART...my 4 year old decided to help put them in the tank :) Added to this that they made quick of any of the "algae" that I had growing.

So tomorrow, water change, get the frag tank setup. I also bought a WP10 today so that I could move the Koralia into the frag tank. I am not sure how to program this little sucker with my Apex or what "speed" to run it at, but hopefully google garners some helpful hints.

The obligatory picks.

FTS - not sure if I have done one since the rock went in. Yes it's sparse, but I like how it's progressing.
IMG_3654_zps1141be62.jpg

Sam the Shrimp. Already had one molt :)
Sam_Shrimp_zps9e364986.jpg

I also am not sure, but the Torch has made itself smaller today and I noticed these 2 green things...does this mean that it is going to grow another head (or split)?
Somethinggoingon_zpsd928d5c7.jpg

Just a pic I like
shellthief_zps2d71d46a.jpg

And last but not least, my first Birdsnest. I believe that the polyps are pretty extended which leads me to believe that it is happy?
birdsnest_zps0c61f948.jpg

Marz

Thanks! This has been really fun, and as I add slowly the kids have really been participating. Especially when I feed and the Shrimp walks on water (upside down). For me, trying to figure things out, reading, etc, has also been enjoyable. Although it's a small tank, I do like sitting in front of it.

I have one more fish that I will be adding as soon as an LFS gets them in - that is a Melanarus Wrasse.

Jewel

It doesn't matter the size of the tank, The smaller the volume of the water, the harder it is to keep the water perameters. So don't say its only a 30. Just enjoy and create something special, It's really nice to see the kids enjoy it, My 4 year old Grand daughter is right into the tank, she helps me alot and knows so much.

Marz

Well I like pictures :p This thread is great for me to go back and read peoples suggestions, etc (diary). Anyway, thought I would update and see what others thought. The first thing is that the poly extension on the birdsnest seems to be really good. Also, the Torch seems to be growing new tentacles and I even think that at some point there may be a new head that will grow. Included a pic of the eagles eye as well.

Birdsnest_zpse138cdd9.jpg

eagleeye_zps31fae0e2.jpg

TorchGrowth_zps479c502b.jpg

Cheers

Marz

I had to update based on adding my first blasto!! I picked it up last night, cleaned everything up, and put 'er in the tank. It opened up today and looks to me like it is ok in my tank - I believe it is happy (so far) and actually ate tonight with my spot feeding. See pics below. Additionally the birdsnest polyp extension is really impressive. I moved my zoa that was having issues and we'll see how it does over the next couple of days

more pics :)

Blasto_day1a_zps13e6b664.jpg

Blasto_day1b_zpsf53921f2.jpg

And I believe it is eating
Blasto_dayeating1a_zpsfc542af7.jpg

Blasto_dayeating1b_zps1c66496e.jpg

Cheers!!

benzzz

nope nope I believe it just farted......

Wow it has been a few days and i pop in to see your tank and you are adding stuff like a true reefer now. Congrats on the new stuff !!! I think your tank is starting to look great !!

Marz

Hmm...now I have to look up Duncans :). Thanks btw.

I like the idea of the different colors and textures. The blasto is sooo interesting. I have to admit that planning a tank with corals is very difficult to get the right "balance". We'll see how well it does over the next couple of weeks.

I think what I would like next is a pink birdsnest for the top. Then at least that part of the rockwork will be done in my mind...not sure where the blasto will end up. I have been looking at all kinds of tanks and where they put corals to get ideas.

Jewel

Duncans are one of my favs, It's an LPS, Green with heads that grow quikly if fed, they can go any where in the tank, 5 or 6 years ago they were very hard to find but very popular now, I have 3 Colonies in my tank, wish I could send you a pic, but my Camera isn't working. you can't go wrong with them, i know you'll love em.

Marz

Well, had to go away on a business trip and just got back. During the trip I get a picture from my wife about my smaller clown who had jumped out of the tank. I figure that the larger one was chasing him and he just launched himself. Well both the female and the shrimp seemed really depressed so picked up another one today. We'll see whether my tank is a "jumper" tank or if this was a fluke. I don't like having the glass top on as I have noticed the tank gets warmer during the summer. Will take some pics in the next couple of days.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
You can always buy eggcrate or other various forms of screen tops to put on your tank , I would advise against glass as well

Marz

Latest update. The new clown has been in the tank since the weekend, and seems to be doing well. The larger one (orange) still pushes the little one around everyone now and again, but the little one does the "clown" dance - the pair has been renamed and the family has agreed that this is it - Gnomeo & Juliet - which I much prefer. Sammy the shrimp is awesome!! and everytime I am near the tank, he's there, during cleaning, he rides my hand until I am finished, and he eats upside down when the food is floating...big hit with the kids and even me. The zoa's that weren't opening and "kinda" opening in the 10G frag tank. Just got a HOB skimmer as I want to keep the tank nice and clean. Picked up a teal birdsnest and it is doing well :)

So far, I am really enjoying the hobby. Takes work, but well worth it. The growth on my birdsnest has been really good and I am going to show a comparison from when I got it until today.

Here's the Green Birdsnest when I got it

S_Birdsnest_start_zps316c5e14.jpg

today

S_Birdsnest_June25_zps1352a183.jpg

Teal Birdsnest (not sure what the "hair" is, but will probably pluck it :)

TealBirdsnest_zps0afe6584.jpg

Branching Monti - will be time to move up next week I think

S_BranchingMonti_zpscc0493ed.jpg

Blasto - really growing - if anyone knows how to frag this and feels like taking a drive let me know. Kind of freaks me out.

S_Blasto_zps843de6e0.jpg

10 Pics limit/post, so I will add the other pictures in the next post :)

Marz

And continuation of last post :)

Crappy picture of Juliet, but her coloring is awesome :)

S_Juliet_zps98b36fa6.jpg

and finally, the new addition, Gnomeo. As you can see Sammy has to be in the pic with the new res ;)

S_Gnomeo_zps1ffff9d3.jpg

As I said, really digging this hobby. Rewards and challenges.