Toronto Maple Leafs 1st Round Draft Pick. Will It Help?

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Man Phil Kessel is on fire, also smiling joking around. It's really nice to see.

Work environment does mean a lot. Plus he has some play makers to help him out. I hope Toronto doesn't grind Austin Matthews up and spit him out like they have with so many other players

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
When he was on Boston, Phil had other players to assist him. On Toronto, it was just him, screaming up the ice, and trying to shoot. He's fast, and he has a great shot, but when the goalie sees him coming...

Again, it was a abysmal lack of talent on the blue line that kept him from shining. Again, that's why I'm so surprised they just didn't clean house on the offense, get rid of everyone. They're in last place, nobody would care. Keeping the hacks they did was just a weird move.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
well they have really screwed up some pretty good Goalies having no support on the blue line. It messes with their confidence and having twice as many shots on them game in game out. I think they kept some help back there to help grow the goalies.

Nighthawk26

I feel for them right now man. I feel like they are almost loose loose. So much hype on the Finnish Kid Laine, and when having to choose Babcock went to watch him play in the quarter game over Matthews as they played same time. Can you imagine the fallout if they take Matthews, and Laine blows up way bigger, or Matthews falters. Winnipeg is sitting pretty on this one. I'm sure they don't envy Toronto at all with the first pick

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
It's not a horrible spot to be in, to be honest. Babcock isn't the best at picking talent (he really liked Dion and he's likely why they're keeing kadri), so I hope someone with a better eye is checking things out.

I seriously hope Toronto does better next year. I don't like going to the last person in the race and kicking them into the dust. I prefer a good competition, with leaf fans all puffy-chested about how awesome they are. This "worse than Buffalo" is crazy.

Winnipeg will likely do better than Toronto in this, just because it's Toronto ;)

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Hope it's not a repeat of the Alexandre Daigle, Chris Pronger Draft. Because no one remembers who was drafted 2nd

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
its looking fairly promising to be honest, watching marner, zaitsev, mathews (or laine), reilly, all doing really well wherever they are playing is exciting.
Theres always a chance it amounts to nothing and there is zero chemistry, but all these young talented guys led by babs, its going to be an exciting year, i feel a middle of the pack finish is expected, but should be some good hockey to watch

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
acquiring impending restricted free agent goaltender Frederik Andersen on Monday from the Anaheim Ducks.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
hes a decent tender, only 26. The leafs didnt give up much for him either 1st round (30th) pick and next years 2nd which could be nothing.
theres no future in bernier... good move IMHO

Nighthawk26

LOL. Nothing ever changes. The more they "change" the more they stay the same. Maybe they can get another sweet Mccabe-style defenseman and lock him into a crazy long huge deal.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/frederik-andersen-gamble-maple-leafs/

How do you have issue with this deal? It cost them essentially nothing. They gave up a 30th pick which is not much, especially with the depth they have in prospects now, and a late 2nd round next year. Another smart move. If he plays above average, just like Kadri, we are sitting pretty.

Nighthawk26

What is wrong with his numbers? Went 22-9 last season. Fastest Goalie to 50 Wins by a long shot since some forever time ago. Like we are talking last time Leafs won the cup sort of time ago. Previous year 35 and 12. He has Playoff experience. Posted something like a 1.4 GAA this year there, and more important to me, came in down 2 games, and almost helped the Ducks advance. If he carries on that trend and or gets better, we are golden at 5M. He is more than fine for the next few building years. No point in having an All Star Goalie at this point. Would be a complete waste. Leafs can afford the cash with all the young developing talent, and cash aside, didn't cost much at all to get him.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
With all the cash they're saving, I wonder if they'll pass it on to the fans with cheaper ticket prices? /s

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
What is wrong with his numbers? Went 22-9 last season. Fastest Goalie to 50 Wins by a long shot since some forever time ago. Like we are talking last time Leafs won the cup sort of time ago. Previous year 35 and 12. He has Playoff experience. Posted something like a 1.4 GAA this year there, and more important to me, came in down 2 games, and almost helped the Ducks advance. If he carries on that trend and or gets better, we are golden at 5M. He is more than fine for the next few building years. No point in having an All Star Goalie at this point. Would be a complete waste. Leafs can afford the cash with all the young developing talent, and cash aside, didn't cost much at all to get him.
Im A Leafs fan and I am not that happy with the deal. He has had a below average save percentage. Yes his save percentage is good when you are down close but that's because he had a whole lot of large bodies men pushing away attackers se he could get a clean view of the puck. Toronto doesn't have that gritty style of defense and I think It will hurt Andersen. He might be a decent goalie but he had an awesome team in front of him which is not what he will have in Toronto. I hope I get to eat my words about him but for at least the next two years he won't be their saviour. I would have offered him about 11 mil over 3 years.

Nighthawk26

Im A Leafs fan and I am not that happy with the deal. He has had a below average save percentage. Yes his save percentage is good when you are down close but that's because he had a whole lot of large bodies men pushing away attackers se he could get a clean view of the puck. Toronto doesn't have that gritty style of defense and I think It will hurt Andersen. He might be a decent goalie but he had an awesome team in front of him which is not what he will have in Toronto. I hope I get to eat my words about him but for at least the next two years he won't be their saviour. I would have offered him about 11 mil over 3 years.
If only it worked like that. So you clearly don't get him at 3M. So, beyond that, what is your next play for a goalie?

Cash is irrelevant. It is the easiest thing to worry about in todays NHL. The Leafs have it, and had plenty of cap space to work with.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk