Toronto Maple Leafs 1st Round Draft Pick. Will It Help?

Nighthawk26

Decent Pickup for 2.5M. Needed a little grit added to the team. Glad they didn't do anything else. Some of those numbers going through were just stupid. A lot of teams are gonna be hurting cap space wise for what I am sure will be a lot of deals they wish weren't done. Such long term too. Talk about a sellers market.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Interest rates are so low they figure buy when it's like this kinda like the housing market :)

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Do you guys ever wonder if the leafs planned this rebuild perfectly ?
Im a die hard leaf fan, and I can admit our team sucked ever since that last TRUE Capton (not phaneuf ) and we had no one to blame but the leafs staff, so gl they get all new staff finish in last (but in style)
And get Austin Matthews and some other great guys ,

What I've been thinking did they not want connor mcdavid ? And would rather have Matthews and planned to come last to draft him ?

IMHO mitch marner will be better then everyone on te leafs but matthews and even marner will be better then mcdavid .. This kid can play under pressure ..

Nighthawk26

Crazy talk. NO one would NOT want McDavid. Beyond that, I don't see the correlation. THey could have won McDavid in theory I guess, and also then won Matthews. There was no planning that draft. Either of them really.

I will give Marner credit. I have Ranger Season tickets so I've seen him play a lot. He will never be a McDavid, and neither will Matthews. McDavid literally has potential to be one of the best ever. I've seen him play a ton, and he is an absolute machine.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Crazy talk. NO one would NOT want McDavid. Beyond that, I don't see the correlation. THey could have won McDavid in theory I guess, and also then won Matthews. There was no planning that draft. Either of them really.

I will give Marner credit. I have Ranger Season tickets so I've seen him play a lot. He will never be a McDavid, and neither will Matthews. McDavid literally has potential to be one of the best ever. I've seen him play a ton, and he is an absolute machine.

I just see mcdavid getting hurt but I believe he will make a come back , I believe if other hockey teams ignore torontos talent boiling here and with solid coach and goalie I see the leafs making the play offs every year . But as soon as you talk about players on the DL then things change and the habs are a great example .. I think the leafs are the younger pits pens ..

Nighthawk26

Hahah... I literally logged on just to update this thread with similar comments. Most amusing thing is die Hard Leaf fans will be talking Stanley Cup tomorrow after Matthews performance tonight.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Will they? Considering not a single other leaf player showed up tonight? OMG way to kill another promising career.

Skim

The thing I worry about is he becomes a marked Man, someone will welcome him to the NHL and will end up like a Lindros or a Crossby. Being off more than playing. I wish that the NHL was played more like World Cup Hockey.

Nighthawk26

You can't compare Lindros era of hockey to Crosby, and certainly not as time has gone since Sid came into the league. The game has evolved a great deal and that typical type of player is not only rare but even fringe players walk a fine lone keeping a job as the league cracks down hard. Matthews will be just fine. He has played with Men for years.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
love how a young kid does so well, and hes still ripped to shreds simply becauses hes on the leafs... ive even heard "scoring 4 goals is the worst thing you could do because blah blah blah" doesnt matter cuz the leafs lost blah blah

i love leafs haters

Nighthawk26

Don't listen to the noise. He sure as hell doesn't'. You hear him last night? Scores 4 goals then takes responsibility for the loss. Truth be told, weak backcheck on his part and he knows it and owned it. That's why he will be just fine here.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Lol. Same ole leaf fans. Horrific loss, but "hey we're still going to win the cup this year!".

Oh and Matthews was NOT responsible for that loss last night, every other guy on the team was, including that sieve of a goalie. Did he even stop one shot? Ovechkin sucks on the backcheck, and he wins games because the rest of the team does something. Kessel was a flop in TO for the same reason. Seems to do fine with a real team around him, yet the leafs keep putting AA players on the ice (what game did kadri go to last night, because he sure wasn't in Toronto). Lupul? Is he even in the league anymore? van reimsdykie must have still been golfing...

Trash the "haters" all you want, but we're right. I don't think you will (can?) be last in the league this year with a talent like that on the ice, but WOW there are some serious problems if you can't handle ottawa. Hopefully you smear the ice with the Bruins on Saturday and I'll eat some crow, but they need to fix a whole lot between now and then.

(oilers rink looked fantastic however) :)

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Hey, as long as they had fun and tried their hardest that's all we can ask. Poor fellas can't expect to win them all.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Lol. Same ole leaf fans. Horrific loss, but "hey we're still going to win the cup this year!".

Oh and Matthews was NOT responsible for that loss last night, every other guy on the team was, including that sieve of a goalie. Did he even stop one shot? Ovechkin sucks on the backcheck, and he wins games because the rest of the team does something. Kessel was a flop in TO for the same reason. Seems to do fine with a real team around him, yet the leafs keep putting AA players on the ice (what game did kadri go to last night, because he sure wasn't in Toronto). Lupul? Is he even in the league anymore? van reimsdykie must have still been golfing...

Trash the "haters" all you want, but we're right. I don't think you will (can?) be last in the league this year with a talent like that on the ice, but WOW there are some serious problems if you can't handle ottawa. Hopefully you smear the ice with the Bruins on Saturday and I'll eat some crow, but they need to fix a whole lot between now and then.

(oilers rink looked fantastic however) :)

We should watch the game, with suicide wings, opposing team score you eat a wing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk