Torx's 120 Gallon Peninsula Tank Part2

Rick Hickman

Oh right, you are going 7 where I did 4. That is a large overflow for sure which means the tank will have to stick out pretty far from the wall. That is why I went 4". I do not see why you would need the additional support so long as it is installed properly. The silicone is more then strong enough to handle the full weight of that with water. Plus the bulkheads and plumbing will also be there to support it. SCS1200 is construction grade silicone. It is the real deal.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
To be fair, I'm only going to have 3-4" of water in the box depth wise and that's what effects the pressure. How deep is your water in the box? A few inches? I could go more narrow, my concern is drilling for 1.5" plumbing. I don't want it sticking far out, but I'm concerned about having too little glass on either side of the hole. The scs1200 documents show its strong. I did some math and I'm well above where the failure points are - my concern is I'm not a professional tank builder and have 0 experience building the overflow. I guess as long as I assemble things correctly that's the best I can do.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
To be fair, I'm only going to have 3-4" of water in the box depth wise and that's what effects the pressure. How deep is your water in the box? A few inches? I could go more narrow, my concern is drilling for 1.5" plumbing. I don't want it sticking far out, but I'm concerned about having too little glass on either side of the hole. The scs1200 documents show its strong. I did some math and I'm well above where the failure points are - my concern is I'm not a professional tank builder and have 0 experience building the overflow. I guess as long as I assemble things correctly that's the best I can do.

The 1.5" drains will take up a lot more room in the box. Mine are only 1". You must have a big build on the way.

Rick Hickman

Just a 125 gallon cichlid tank, running a DCP 15000 return around 50% at 3 feet of head ~. 1" would be adequate? 1200-1500 gph I would estimate.
The 1.5" drains will take up a lot more room in the box. Mine are only 1". You must have a big build on the way.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Just a 125 gallon cichlid tank, running a DCP 15000 return around 50% at 3 feet of head ~. 1" would be adequate? 1200-1500 gph I would estimate.

In my opinion you may be overpowering your sump slightly. Running a single 1" full siphon drain on will do between 750 and 900+ GPH conservatively. I think you are going off the 10x rule. Although you only really need 5-7x.

Rick Hickman

In my opinion you may be overpowering your sump slightly. Running a single 1" full siphon drain on will do between 750 and 900+ GPH conservatively. I think you are going off the 10x rule. Although you only really need 5-7x.
Ya I was aiming for closer to the 10x rule. I'm reality, I know I have two RW-8s in the tank turned down right now for flow, so I don't need to blast water through my sump for flow through my tank. The sump is not going to be a main source of flow, I just want it to be a really good filter. Looks like I'll be able to shrink my box down and convert to 1" plumbing good news for me - my parents weren't too pleased about having it so far out from the wall in the living room.

Do you find the surface skimming is good enough with the box at the end of the tank? I'm concerned it wouldn't be effective for a 6 foot tank going over the 18" end

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Oh this is never good but so glad to finally get started on my fish room this weekend.

More parcels to pick up tomorrow and stop at the plumbing shop for some peices.
dbdde2522dd4fdea8968825ed0b4e70f.jpg
058ba72e1bbff9745616b9e9c0307c72.jpg

Winks

Website Affiliate
I seen this tang Sustainable Marine Canada. It's a gorgeous Sohal Tang! @reefdiver has some other great looking livestock in there right now. It's hard to contain myself to not purchasing. You have a great tang Torx

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Anothe killer addition. I have wanted one for a while and this guy looks pretty happy in my tank. Pink Spiney Sea Cucumber. Again, thank you @reefdiver and Sustainable Marine Canada. It has been expensive week between this hobby and last minute family Christmas shopping.

0ab5fd88a2e792f12afe00918f3885eb.jpg

aeaf9352f271d30f64a15b116ab6b0ad.jpg

derrick orosz

Super Active Member
Anothe killer addition. I have wanted one for a while and this guy looks pretty happy in my tank. Pink Spiney Sea Cucumber. Again, thank you @reefdiver and Sustainable Marine Canada. It has been expensive week between this hobby and last minute family Christmas shopping.

0ab5fd88a2e792f12afe00918f3885eb.jpg

aeaf9352f271d30f64a15b116ab6b0ad.jpg

Algee water?

Rick Hickman

Hey pal, sorry to hear you're selling this setup off. Did you find the setup was adequate in terms of surface skimming with just the narrow-end weir?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Hey pal, sorry to hear you're selling this setup off. Did you find the setup was adequate in terms of surface skimming with just the narrow-end weir?

Oh yes. I did start to get a film on the surface early on but I lowered my overheads and that went away on its own.

Rick Hickman

Oh yes. I did start to get a film on the surface early on but I lowered my overheads and that went away on its own.

I was thinking I would have one powerhead beneath the overflow box at the end of my tank (peninsula style). Have the other powerhead at the other end of the tank, and have the return light at the far end of the tank as well. So I would point the overflow-side powerhead up at the surface from beneath the overflow. Point the far side powerhead up at the surface toward the overflow direction, and the return line would point into the main body of the tank. Thoughts? I want to keep the surface of the water well agitated and clean.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I was thinking I would have one powerhead beneath the overflow box at the end of my tank (peninsula style). Have the other powerhead at the other end of the tank, and have the return light at the far end of the tank as well. So I would point the overflow-side powerhead up at the surface from beneath the overflow. Point the far side powerhead up at the surface toward the overflow direction, and the return line would point into the main body of the tank. Thoughts? I want to keep the surface of the water well agitated and clean.

Mine barely rippled and it was perfect. There is no need to agitate the surface as that is what the overflow does. Agitating the surface is for proper gas exchange which is a closed fresh water system issue.

I kept my powerheads on the overflow end. I did not want to clutter up the other end with equiptment. Nice clean look.