Torx's 120 Gallon Peninsula Tank Part2

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
New year, new thread. Here is the old build thread Torx's 120 Gallon Peninsula Tank

It has been a while since I have done any updates. That is primarily due to the medical issues I have been having. Shortly after the chaos with my eyes started, something went through my tank. I have no idea what it was, but it killed everything but about 5 fish in a matter of 2-3 days. I still have no idea what happened, but I was not able to figure it out and it happened all too fast to even react. Then it just stopped. Survivors were 3 chromis, melanurus wrasse, scopa tang, sand sifting goby and a yellow tail damsel. I lost 4 clowns, 3 stripe damsel, a scopa, hippo, powder blue tang, royal gramma and dotty back. I also lost some fish I was fish sitting in a separate tank that was plumbed to the same system, a kole tang, coral beauty and royal gramma. I also lost all of my shrimp, but the rest of the CUC was just fine.

Fast forward to now. I am slowly getting caught up on the maintenance and placing frags from Fragfest. Tank is looking better every day. I added a test fish two weeks ago, orange shoulder tang, and he has been doing just fine. I also just added a purple tang on Sunday. I could not afford it, but for the price ($120 something after sale price and instore bucks) there was no way I was turning it down. I used the mirror trick for both of the new tang additions. The scopa tang hit up the purple pretty bad the first day, but now they are swimming together. His fins are pretty chewed up, but should heal nicely. The mirror trick has been by far the most successful way to introduce a new tang.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
New orange shoulder and purple tang.
c6281c5c335af65484d90704e60e3512.jpg
001d7734b52864fe0f2573ae963fcb9d.jpg
c3e2124692349877dcffaf22cd459fa4.jpg
cc4e8d12539100501ad490b179f7716b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
The Tang king adds to his collection, how many is that now?
Well just 3 now due to the losses as noted above. I have a scopa, purple and an orange shoulder tang. Next I would like an Achilles and maybe 2 yellows. I wish these damn chromis' would die off already.

Jewel

What's black on that, I bought a purple torch and a gold torch at the frag fest, both look like a purple torch. Your black torch looks like a purple as well, what is the mirror effect?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
What's black on that, I bought a purple torch and a gold torch at the frag fest, both look like a purple torch. Your black torch looks like a purple as well, what is the mirror effect?

All blacks are actually purple, it is darker in person.

Not sure what you mean by the mirror effect

Jewel

You said in your post that you used the mirror effect to add your Tangs, do you mean you added two at the same time? Also Orange Shoulder Tang is a beautiful addition, I love them, wish I had a bigger tank.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
You said in your post that you used the mirror effect to add your Tangs, do you mean you added two at the same time? Also Orange Shoulder Tang is a beautiful addition, I love them, wish I had a bigger tank.

Oh no, simply by taping a large mirror to the tank they turn their defenses to the 'other' tang. Which is actually them in the mirror. I move the mirror around a few times. For the orange shoulder it only took 3 days before I could remove it and all aggression was gone. I have kept it on for longer when I added the purple. It will be 2 weeks this weekend and I will probably remove it then. Aggression has been gone for about a week now, but I want to be on the safe side due to the fact that the scopa is the same body type. There tends to be more aggression in tangs with similar body types over tangs of different body types. His fins are already healing up.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
How is your external box holding up? I'm building an external box, just curious what silicone you used and how it has lasted!
I only use SCS1200 for tank builds. 0 issues, 0 leaks, holding strong since I replaced it. I had to replace it a few years ago because the overflow glass cracked. That was my fault though with the way the plumbing was set up. The new one has been on for 3 years or so maybe.

Rick Hickman

I only use SCS1200 for tank builds. 0 issues, 0 leaks, holding strong since I replaced it. I had to replace it a few years ago because the overflow glass cracked. That was my fault though with the way the plumbing was set up. The new one has been on for 3 years or so maybe.

You have no idea how excited I am to hear that. I just found this forum today - I'm in Whitby. I can't find Momentive RTV up here, SCS is the only thing I can reasonably find up here. I'm doing an external box, 24x10x7, 7 front to back. I'm going to use 3/8" or 1/2" glass, run a bean animal with a 1" siphon with a DCP15000 return pump turned way down. Other 2 drains will be 1.5". The water level in the box will be about 4-5" when running. With regards to yours breaking, what happened to the bottom pane so I can try and avoid it? I'm about 8 pages through your first thread.

On my box I was planning to mount 2 triangle gussets underneath to help support the box, and a Eurobrace around the top. I don't see any support under yours - it was solely mounted with the SCS1200?

Thanks for any feedback. I've been looking for information, from someone who has had success with an external box they built and mounted for use with a BA setup, so I really do appreciate it!

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
You have no idea how excited I am to hear that. I just found this forum today - I'm in Whitby. I can't find Momentive RTV up here, SCS is the only thing I can reasonably find up here. I'm doing an external box, 24x10x7, 7 front to back. I'm going to use 3/8" or 1/2" glass, run a bean animal with a 1" siphon with a DCP15000 return pump turned way down. Other 2 drains will be 1.5". The water level in the box will be about 4-5" when running. With regards to yours breaking, what happened to the bottom pane so I can try and avoid it? I'm about 8 pages through your first thread.

On my box I was planning to mount 2 triangle gussets underneath to help support the box, and a Eurobrace around the top. I don't see any support under yours - it was solely mounted with the SCS1200?

Thanks for any feedback. I've been looking for information, from someone who has had success with an external box they built and mounted for use with a BA setup, so I really do appreciate it!
The plumbing runs from the external under my house. There was no play in the pipes and bulkhead at all and eventually the pressure from the old floor settling and vibrations and such cracked the glass. When I replaced the box I also replaced 3' of each drain with braided hose and gave the pipes under the house some play/wiggle room. It took me a while to get it off, if the crack didn't happen I am confident it would have outlasted me.

Lots to read, I have had lots of ups and downs over the years. Happy to answer any questions I can. We are here to help.

Yes mine is solely installed with scs1200

Rick Hickman

The plumbing runs from the external under my house. There was no play in the pipes and bulkhead at all and eventually the pressure from the old floor settling and vibrations and such cracked the glass. When I replaced the box I also replaced 3' of each drain with braided hose and gave the pipes under the house some play/wiggle room. It took me a while to get it off, if the crack didn't happen I am confident it would have outlasted me.

Lots to read, I have had lots of ups and downs over the years. Happy to answer any questions I can. We are here to help.

Yes mine is solely installed with scs1200

Just read through the 'crack' thread. I'm glad you found it. What are the dimensions for that box? My plumbing is just going to run down behind the tank, and I'll have it braced against the stand so it doesn't act as a lever and break my box.

I noticed you put the seams together first and then mounted it on the tank. Did you do the inner seams (between panes) first, tape the panes together, corner seams, let it rest, and then mount it? I'm sorry, I'm going to try and sponge as much information as possible from you if you don't mind lol if mine leaks, my parents will show me the door

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Just read through the 'crack' thread. I'm glad you found it. What are the dimensions for that box? My plumbing is just going to run down behind the tank, and I'll have it braced against the stand so it doesn't act as a lever and break my box.

I noticed you put the seams together first and then mounted it on the tank. Did you do the inner seams (between panes) first, tape the panes together, corner seams, let it rest, and then mount it? I'm sorry, I'm going to try and sponge as much information as possible from you if you don't mind lol if mine leaks, my parents will show me the door

Yes, that sounds about right. I let it rest over night as that is about all the time I had do to the cracks getting worse. It was installed in less then 24 hours after I made it. Mine is 4x6hx12"

Rick Hickman

Yes, that sounds about right. I let it rest over night as that is about all the time I had do to the cracks getting worse. It was installed in less then 24 hours after I made it. Mine is 4x6hx12"
I'll be giving mine atleast 2 weeks to dry for sure since I have the luxury of waiting for mine to dry. By dry I mean on the side of the tank, not the seams before its mounted to be clear.

You have about half of the box that I am going to be building. Do you think the triangle braces underneath the outside edges are necessary? I have never worked with SCS1200 before, but I've been told it's much stronger than GE 1 which is what I've worked with on inner seams before (not a good idea).

Thanks for your responses, I appreciate it!

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I'll be giving mine atleast 2 weeks to dry for sure since I have the luxury of waiting for mine to dry. By dry I mean on the side of the tank, not the seams before its mounted to be clear.

You have about half of the box that I am going to be building. Do you think the triangle braces underneath the outside edges are necessary? I have never worked with SCS1200 before, but I've been told it's much stronger than GE 1 which is what I've worked with on inner seams before (not a good idea).

Thanks for your responses, I appreciate it!

Oh right, you are going 7 where I did 4. That is a large overflow for sure which means the tank will have to stick out pretty far from the wall. That is why I went 4". I do not see why you would need the additional support so long as it is installed properly. The silicone is more then strong enough to handle the full weight of that with water. Plus the bulkheads and plumbing will also be there to support it. SCS1200 is construction grade silicone. It is the real deal.