Vendor, Member, Sellers And Buyers

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
OK here is the story... I saw something nice on the sell board. I am very excited so pm to the seller right away while hope I am the first person. I will quote every word I pm and the text we exchanged while leave out seller information, what for sell and the person who bought it(just a hunt, but i believe they know each other). So here start with my pm and I quote with time that are sended

Me pm to seller 11:04 am "Hi I am interest in the stuff for sale, can you call me or text xxx xxx xxxx, thank Kevin"

Seller text 11:55 am "Hi Kevin. This is the seller. You asked me to contact you regarding the stuff I posted for sale today. Let me know what questions you had"

Seller text 11:56 am "I just spoke with someone else. He decided to buy it"

Me text 11:58 am "I was gonna pick it up tonight around 8, I believe to be first in line right or the first to contact you lol"

Seller text 12:00 pm "He was technically the first to contact me. Sorry about that. I had no idea how much in demand something like this would be "

Me text 12:01 pm "I think my pm got to you first, but what ever"

Seller text 12:02 pm "If your PM said I will take it, then yes you are correct but all it said was to contact you. I am really sorry that it didn't workout."

Me text 12:08 pm "I said I am interested and I can't believe you just text me between our conversation answer the phone and give it to some one else with out giving me the chance, it sad really. I would have call you soon but all I have is the store phone so I pm you first state I am interested "

Seller text 12:33 pm "I don't know what else to say other than I am sorry that it didn't workout for you. To be fair, I must sell to the first person who tells me they will take it."

Me text 12:38 pm "I will see what the members have to say on this... I like to know if I am in the wrong here"

Seller text 12:43 pm "sound good"

Sooo.... that the end of our conversation witch lead me to this post. So what are the rule of sale here, It seem to me that you can ignore your first contact, pm and sell it to who ever you want

Please express you serious and honest opinion only, thank

I think common sense works best. The more you want something the more sure you gotta be about your offer. I guess the seller can really sell to whoever they want. But to be decent first dibs should be honoured. Although he might have been playing phone or text tag a week on his last sale. However Lousy selling etiquette news will get around and maybe people will quit buying from him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I'm with you, first to contact should have the first right to accept or refuse. Just because you had a question shouldn't have eliminated you from the process, not much you can do but hope for karma.

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
I'm with you, first to contact should have the first right to accept or refuse. Just because you had a question shouldn't have eliminated you from the process, not much you can do but hope for karma.
My pm to the seller clearly stated that I am interested, it doesn't say that I have a question to ask. I am working at the time and was planning on picking it up after work, guess not :(

shamous113

IMHO the first person that shows interest has first crack at what ever it may be, and its up to both parties to clarify things prior to moving on to the next person. I my self have bought a few items that others have shown previous interest in and feel that until they turn down the deal I have no rite to get pissed off that I cant get it. (not saying that this is the case)

If your selling something that you know a specific person may be interested in then pm or contact them prior to posting and getting an others hope and excitement up.I guess it also depends oh how desperate the seller wants it gone and if their willing to wait for the first deal to go thru, or they want to get multiple people lined up so its gone, although that's a bit shady IMHO.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
There are no 'rules' for selling here. We do not get involved with selling at all. Like Kijiji, it is 100% on the members, although if someone is a dick enough, they normally leave on their own lol. This is a sad story to read though. I typically hold for the first PM unless I post otherwise. There has been a few things I have sold where I needed an ASAP sale and first person to send me cash won, but I post that in the ad. Typically, I follow first PM though. If I do not hear back after a day though, then I move onto the next one. I also PM the subsequent members to let them know what is going on.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Reading back on your OP, they very well could have already been talking to the other person. I typically say that someone is before them, then ask if they have any questions in the mean time. I think the big thing here is that it would have been nice if in their first message they said something like....

Seller text 11:55 am "Hi Kevin. This is the seller. You asked me to contact you regarding the stuff I posted for sale today, there is one person that already messaged me and we are working out a deal. In case if falls through, let me know what questions you had"

Nighthawk26

I see both sides of the fence here, but there are too many variables, and experiences people have. I totally see your position, as I've been there, and much worse. I had someone on GTA site agree to sell me something for X price, that his brother would be in waterloo the following week. Leading up to the days before he stopped replying to messages, then basically told me he sold it for more money. His argument (and backed up by many of his forum cronies) was first to EMT is first to get it.

Like you, I'm sure when you say you are interested in something, it's essentially firm. Unfortunately, MANY people flake around, or go on to ask 100 questions, then bail. So in that respect, can see their point. Maybe they don't know a questions of interest from you means 100% firm wanting it. Maybe he needs to move it right away to get the cash. That's just it. Way too many variables. Overall however, I think it's a dick move. That said, the answers you got here are COMPLETE opposite from answers I got on GTA site. The group here is very different. A good group of people more like an actual community looking to genuinely help each other.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Honestly I have been on the wrong end of this kind of thing many times on this site (same as kijiji) and the right side a couple of times. it is frustrating but I guess it is the way people do things now.....:mad:

To that end...if there is something I really want, I make it clear at first contact that I WILL TAKE IT at full asking price.

I don't do much selling, but when I do...I make it clear to people if it is something I will hold or if it is a first come first served type of thing....

Nighthawk26

Honestly I have been on the wrong end of this kind of thing many times on this site (same as kijiji) and the right side a couple of times. it is frustrating but I guess it is the way people do things now.....:mad:

To that end...if there is something I really want, I make it clear at first contact that I WILL TAKE IT at full asking price.

I don't do much selling, but when I do...I make it clear to people if it is something I will hold or if it is a first come first served type of thing....

Speaking of which! ;)

heath

Distinguished Member
I think if anyone has purchased items on the site that they have had the same issue...if there is something that I am interested in I will post " pm sent" I think that is respectful to the other members and if I see it I will back off and if it is something that you want, tell the seller if the deal falls through you are there...

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
BTW...twice I have had the text before I leave the house to confirm the deal is a go....then after driving an hour plus getting a text... "Hey my buddy/another guy was just over and he took (the item I wanted) along with the other stuff he came for sorry..." That is twice ON THIS SITE...not kijiji...

shamous113

make it clear to people if it is something I will hold or if it is a first come first served type of thing....

If people were to do this when posting items then it might reduce the chance of miscommunication. and if some one is on their way then its just rude to sell it to some one else. Karma is a B*#$h

heath

Distinguished Member
BTW...twice I have had the text before I leave the house to confirm the deal is a go....then after driving an hour plus getting a text... "Hey my buddy/another guy was just over and he took (the item I wanted) along with the other stuff he came for sorry..." That is twice ON THIS SITE...not kijiji...

that is not good...

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
Reading back on your OP, they very well could have already been talking to the other person. I typically say that someone is before them, then ask if they have any questions
Reading back on your OP, they very well could have already been talking to the other person. I typically say that someone is before them, then ask if they have any questions in the mean time. I think the big thing here is that it would have been nice if in their first message they said something like....

Seller text 11:55 am "Hi Kevin. This is the seller. You asked me to contact you regarding the stuff I posted for sale today, there is one person that already messaged me and we are working out a deal. In case if falls through, let me know what questions you had"
This is wrong of you to assume this Torx, clearly his first text to me that I quote above mean it not sold. For me to pm him and he text me back we have established a contact and it to be the first contact before anyone else, first dib
on the stuff. Minute later I got a second text said he just talk to somebody and sold it to him(the third person to contact him is by phone) . Meaning after he text me another person call him and he sold it to the person that call meanwhile I am here texting slow. If he would call me back instead of texting than I be the one picking it up already

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Wood be nice to have a feed back option, but that too has its own issues. I hate meeting up or going to someone's house to buy stuff. I would rather pay full price at a store.

I had someone on here go back and forth more than 4 different occasions wanting to sell me stuff only to end up blowing me off every time. They even contacted me first on a few occasions saying hey I have what your looking for. I am mad at myself after the second time falling for it again.

I have written two major players off. They won't even care, I'm small time. But I'll never darken your doors.

Nighthawk26

I am one in favor of public shaming. No question.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk