What's the best way to get rid of Aiptasia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenn

Inactive Since Crash
I have about 10 of these annoying little anemones and I don't want them to spread. I used Joe's Juice a few years ago and it worked great but big als online doesn't carry it, and now I'm not sure what the best product is out there. Does anyone have any suggestions?

E

estwing2

copper bands eat it.Just but one in your tank and they will be all gone.  At least that is what works for us

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
I injected the few i found with rubbing alcohol... the thing basically retracted in a ball of pain and let go and floated away.  I tired hydrogen peroxide witht he same effect :)  Two things most people have inthe house and two things i have killed them with.

Give it a try :)

D

Dr BlueThumb

you can also use a paring knife on some, if you can get their foot.

I also mixed pickling lime and hot water into toothpaste consistency, then squirted with the test kit baster on to them.

Never tried it with the thin hypodermic needle, but if it fit's and squirt's, I'm sure that is a better way. You can add to the mix vinegar or limejuice too, to make it more potent, and faster.

Jenn

Inactive Since Crash
will the rubbing alcohol hurt anything in my tank especially my bubble tip anemone? Its only a 24 gallon nano cube so will i need to do a water change after the application.

S

shayneh

Rubbing alcohol sounds like a bad idea to me......really bad!

I don't know the exact ratio but a mixture of hot vinegar and calcium injected in them kills them off quite well as does kalk. You have to be careful because the vinegar/ca mix will kill anything else it comes in contact with until it is diluted sufficiently. It may take a few tries and I would suggest you don't kill too many at once to prevent an ammonia spike or ph swing.

I believe eco-reefer may have a berghia nudibranch farm and they might be able to help you.....

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Alcohol worked with me with no ill effects... course I used like .1 of a ml in 46 gallons of water with a small gauge needle. I just had to stick them and they just let go, then i netted them and that was it :)  

I did not have any corals or nems in the tank at the time though

Have heard that peppermint shrimp will eat them as well... sometimes

Cheers :)

S

shayneh

Vinegar is usually in the house also and is not detrimental.....I use this as a guage. If you can eat it or drink it than it can be considered for use in the aquarium (I didn't say it had to taste good). Although I have heard of people ingesting rubbing alcohol.....most of us wouldn't do it.

Buying livestock other than a Berghia Nudi is a risky venture since they may or may not eat it.

S

shayneh

From what I've read on other forums.....peppermint shrimp don't always eat them and they usually only eat up to a certain size. Berghia Nudis only eat aipstasia (sp.) and will starve to death after it's all gone. I have seen people buy Berghia's and after they have eaten all the aipstasia they just sell them off to the next person. I have heard of places where they farm Berghia's and they will trade you for your aipstasia covered live rock in exchange for pest free rock.

Blob-79

Super Active Member
Actually, just so everyone knows Eco-Reefer is offering pound for pound exchange for live rock with aptaisia on it

S

shayneh

ONLY if you get a direct stream of hot vinegar on it since it is an acid. If there are aipstasia very close I would recommend you just inject them with very small doses and keep repeating till they are gone. You have to inject the base of the aipstasia otherwise they won't die and if you can inject through the mouth even better.

That or look into the Berghia.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VDhykIiQpg&feature=related

I use a mixture of Vodka, Sugar and Vinegar (aka VSV dosing) in my tank every day so having vinegar in the water isn't bad for anything.

I didn't know if eco-reefer was still doing that but that was why I said to contact them.

Jenn

Inactive Since Crash
Ok i'll read up some more on that...I was just reading up on using pickling lime and calcium...not sure what the easiest will be

Jenn

Inactive Since Crash
i didn't mean to put the "and calcium"...i meant to put the calcium in brackets...i found this idea on this forum http://www.michiganreefers.com/forums/reef-discussion/7249-need-source-pickling-lime-kill-aiptasia.html

S

shayneh

Pickling lime is the same thing as kalkwasser at the LFS (both are food grade calcium hydroxide). It's very hard to get pickling lime here in Canada.....at least in my neck of the woods. I have seen where they make a paste and smear it on.....it's much easier to get a syringe (LOL) and inject. Most vets will look at you funny when you ask for a small guage syringe and tell them what for but they will give you one. Hell my vet has ordered stainless steel bone cutters for me......ummmm for fragging purposes LOL!

T

The Box of Water

Hey.... We sell both Joes Juice, and Red Sea Aiptasia-X.....Both work Great

Darren
The Box Of Water

xxmurrxx

I read somewhere that pep shrimp work good but they are often confused with cammel back shrimp (which wont eat aiptasia).  Pretty hard to tell the difference.. To me at least

Neopimp link said:
Ya the pep shrimps are hit and miss :)

Status
Not open for further replies.