What's the best way to get rid of Aiptasia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dr BlueThumb

Camel shrimp's,  have the hump on their back like a camel. I believe will eat coral too.

F

Fraggle Rock

isn't Joe's Juice and Aiptasia-X just 100% Lye mixed with water? Coulda swore I read that somewhere? WWM perhaps?
I'll take a look, if I find anything i'll link it.

Blob-79

Super Active Member
im fairly positive it isnt lye...I was always understood it was basically a kalk mixed with a binding agent.

Jenn

Inactive Since Crash
Thanks again everyone...still not sure what route i'm going to take...going to have to decide soon though before these little buggers spread!

S

stellarflare

Hi everyone, It has been brought to my nubius attention that I have two Aiptasia on two of my live rocks. So I removed the two rocks from my display.

007-1.jpg

My question is, since I removed the two rocks, would a vinegar bath get rid of them because as the two rocks are now removed and sitting in the open air. The two Aiptasia have retracted into the rocks and I cannot see them to remove them. Any advice  will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

Brian

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
i bought 2 rocks with corals on them last night,i see at least 1 aiptasia,damn,sheynah,you say that hot vinegar worked?what do you think the interaction with the vodka dosing i do might be?

F

Fraggle Rock

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/cnidaria/anthozoa/aiptasia/aiptasia.htm

Couldn't find any links about the Lye but I found this

S

stellarflare

Hi Fraggle Rock, Thank you for the link my friend http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/cnidaria/anthozoa/aiptasia/aiptasia.htm

I have put the two rocks back in my tank for now to see if they will come back out of their hiding places. The funny thing is, before It was brought to my attention by crazybizzle that those cute little critters would be nothing but trouble. I had become attached to them as " awe.. aren't they cute" hmmmm now I feel like it was a bad one night stand. lol  :)  I will make it a top priority now before they multiply.

Thank you again for your help my friend.

S

shayneh

Pulp....I use the VSV and I also dose kalk and sometimes I'll dump some vinegar in the high tech kalk dosing contraption I have (1 gallon jug) and add water and then dose that into the tank. The extra little bit of vinegar you would add won't do anything to your tank...

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
stellarflare link said:
Hi all, I believe I have wiped out the problem. I grabbed the rock with the Aiptasia on it brought it up to near the water surface. Started up my propane torch and quickly raised the rock out of the water and hit the target area with the flame tip which confined the heat to just the hole in which it had resided. Minimum collateral damage. Heat was contained within the cavity. I observed the Aiptasia shrink to white ash. No residue was observed leaving the target area.

SWEET!!!!!  the 2 i have found are in the rock with corals close by both, but i might be able to pull that off

S

shayneh

LOL as I stated in my previous post don't blow anything up! I would recommend goggles and don't do it near the tank.....applying a torch to a porus water filled object is a great way to have the resultant steam shatter the rock.

Blob-79

Super Active Member
ya that could actually be very dangerous. Thats kind of how old masons used to shape rock...bits can explode off, and doing just above your tank, one of those bits could hit and or break one of your panes.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Hope ya got them all:) Keep an eye and nuke on sight :)  Cheers

F

Fraggle Rock

A pen torch might be a Safer and even more controllable approach.

D

DJ

i used aiptasia-x a few yrs ago when i had that problem and it worked awesome you get a little suringe with it n u just pump some into the aiptasia and it desintegrates right away

Blob-79

Super Active Member
my only concern was the rock blowing bits off and shattering your tank. I was not refurring to personal injury at all. hence why I feel boiling water is safer. safer as in avoiding a disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.