Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

reeffreak

No offense to anyone but why do we keep starting threads and  then locking them it's beginning to look at like a kindergarten classroom around here . Either let the thread continue or whats the point of posting here.  Seeing all that crap yesterday is brutal we're supposed to be a community who shares information and has respect for each other.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I agree, I really also dislike that members have been revoked their posting privileges in the store sub-forum, I think that since this is a discussion forum anything a store posts should be up for discussion, end of story. I realize each store has many ways you can get in contact with them privately and that's great but this is a public board, if stores want to post here, I see no reason we as a community shouldn't be allowed to comment on those posts or in those sections. The store owners themselves all know and would probably agree that transparency like that is good for business, and not to mention the fact its good for us as the hobbyist community. Bottom line is this is a discussion forum.. If you have something to say but its not going to be up for discussion, it should be kept to PM or email and not posted at all!!.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Why?

Would you laugh or be offended if I locked this thread with only your post.  :)

I would think it will be a little humorous but I didnt really see  the hub bub yesterday and am not sure if I would push the wrong buttons.

There are reasons for locking threads.  They have run the course if the initial topic,  have deteriorated into petty arguments,  just general assholishness ( I made a new word),  items being sold,

I have not had a chance to read the thread in question but those are just a couple of reasons for a thread getting locked.

R

reeffreak

Why?

Well I think that thread shouldn't have been locked until there as an explanation to what jerry wanted to know

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Why?

As far as stores having a no  post section. 

We thought it would be an online flyer/ digital version of a poster on a bulletin board with the phone number tabs cut into it, kinda set up.

We could add another section u der each store that is open to everyone while retaining the stores one way bulletin board.

Thoughts?

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Why?

I really hope that any issues we have with each other aren't personal enough to cause serious problems. If you have an argument with some one, Pm them or better yet, call them.
I don't want to get involved and I appreciate all the work the moderators do, but I agree with Duke and reef freak, we kinda have to let the argument blow itself out, if you lock it then all the anger? Just gets bottled up.... That's not something anyone wants to have...

R

reeffreak

Why?

My thought is if we can't post in their section why are they even here. There's only one store who has a problem with it And they had a problem with it before they even became part of the forum ... so the members are at a lose because someone had a temper tantrum and can't deal with negative feedback as far as I'm concerned if a store can't take the negative and turn it into positive then they should not be a store they deal with the public these things happen they need to find better ways to deal with it. Not the forum or the mods

R

reeffreak

Why?

We can all go on kijiji and find their ad or flyer

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Re: Why?

reeffreak link said:
My thought is if we can't post in their section why are they even here. There's only one store who has a problem with it And they had a problem with it before they even became part of the forum ... so the members are at a lose because someone had a temper tantrum and can't deal with negative feedback as far as I'm concerned if a store can't take the negative and turn it into positive then they should not be a store they deal with the public these things happen they need to find better ways to deal with it. Not the forum or the mods

I wasn't really aware any specific store had an issue with having members post in their sections, I cant see why they would, the exposure must be good for business. I took it that it was done by the mods to keep the peace yesterday. Whatever happened maybe should have been kept to PM, and maybe should have been kept public but that's up to the mods to figure out, after all that's their job. I do also agree with reeffreak, I get news letters, facebook posts, emails, etc etc from the stores already, so I would be good with removing the stores section all together if its not something our community here can speak publicly about., maybe giving them a small section in the For Sale area where each store can have their own thread for advertising.

B

Bill@IA

Duke link said:
I agree, I really also dislike that members have been revoked their posting privileges in the store sub-forum, I think that since this is a discussion forum anything a store posts should be up for discussion, end of story. I realize each store has many ways you can get in contact with them privately and that's great but this is a public board, if stores want to post here, I see no reason we as a community shouldn't be allowed to comment on those posts or in those sections. The store owners themselves all know and would probably agree that transparency like that is good for business, and not to mention the fact its good for us as the hobbyist community. Bottom line is this is a discussion forum.. If you have something to say but its not going to be up for discussion, it should be kept to PM or email and not posted at all!!.

Duke, your point is valid but you are looking at it from a different angle than I. A store owner such as myself gets many emails and questions at work both in the warehouse when open to the public and Online and thus is extremely focused on the plate in front of him. I am only speaking for myself here, but as the busy season approaches I won't have the time to frequent all of the forums and answer questions in a timely manner. (And answering one question sometimes leads to many more.) Or I might not have the energy left. If you need to know... ask me where I am focused...  info@incredibleaquarium.com

I agree with you an open discussion here about what we post may be more convenient for you, and I will try to oblige, but you will get better and more timely answers if you ask me directly.

Hope that helps,
:)

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Bill@IA link said:
[quote author=Duke link=topic=3466.msg29421#msg29421 date=1352122401]

Duke, your point is valid but you are looking at it from a different angle than I. A store owner such as myself gets many emails and questions at work both in the warehouse when open to the public and Online and thus is extremely focused on the plate in front of him. I am only speaking for myself here, but as the busy season approaches I won't have the time to frequent all of the forums and answer questions in a timely manner. (And answering one question sometimes leads to many more.) Or I might not have the energy left. If you need to know... ask me where I am focused...  info@incredibleaquarium.com

I agree with you an open discussion here about what we post may be more convenient for you, and I will try to oblige, but you will get better and more timely answers if you ask me directly.

Hope that helps,
[/quote]

+1

B

Bill@IA

Re: Why?

reeffreak link said:

If you are referring to me it was only because I thought your best answer would be a fast and thoughtful one. I didn't hang out here as much as you do and was afraid of coming back to posts I never answered that got answered by someone else, correctly or incorrectly, and finding you guys ready to burn me at the stake.

We put a lot of time updating our website so the kind of answers we expect you to have will be right in front of you. ...and you get them quickly while I am putting fish away or travelling between warehouses etc etc.

dale

i dont know who posted what or who offended who.,., but i believe that if you post on here business or otherwise,. your post is open for discussion or debate or criticism  or even argument.,., and yes it feels like kindergarden and the teacher puts their hand between your faces and makes you stop sorting out your problems., we are adults here and fully aware of our actions and repercussions.,., store or no store .,., you post we respond,.,., pls dont close our threads!  I (and im shure others) take offence to a gorverning body controling me, censoring me or guiding me in the direction they want me to go.,,, many of us like this site because of the freedom we have here.., ther are other sites without this freedom .., thats why we are here

R

reeffreak

Why?

Nothing ever gets solved when their closed up so quickly, hence the reason why this thread was started. I felt that the member who started that post yesterday got a smack in the face and then the door slammed in their face. Some cocky comments were made then thread was closed. I agree with what's been said by members on this post,  if it's posted on the boards it should be left for discussion until the issue is resolved not until someone makes arrogant statements then shuts it down.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
That thread was getting nasty.  I suggested it be closed because goddammit, this is a goddamn hobby site and if I wanted drama I'd just tell my wife she looks like she's putting on a few pounds.  :eek:

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
true

Salty Cracker link said:
That thread was getting nasty.  I suggested it be closed because goddammit, this is a goddamn hobby site and if I wanted drama I'd just tell my wife she looks like she's putting on a few pounds.  :eek:

+1

But I figure seeing how people would like to keep a thread open about it, I would leave it for a bit. Even though the same thing has just been repeated over and over again by the same users. Which has just been repeated over and over from other threads and multiple PM's to staff and other users. As well has been discussed in detail in the chat room. There is nothing more to be solved or done at this point. We are not some sneaking government trying to be the man and censor things, we were and still the most lax site out there. But as it has already been stated, there are reasons for locking/edited threads.  Some times people need to agree to disagree and any personal attacks should be brought to PM. Yet another reason to moderate posts made by all users.

The posted messages express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of this forum, its staff, its subsidiaries, or this forum's owner. Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify an administrator or moderator of this forum immediately. The staff and the owner of this forum reserve the right to remove objectionable content, within a reasonable time frame, if they determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, please realize that they may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. This policy applies to member profile information as well.

If any user objects to post, they are encouraged to reach out to staff and voice their concerns. This goes for all users and we have stepped in on multiple issues. We have removed posts by both stores and users in the past and hold no bias towards it.

On a personal note, I do not care who likes me or not, store or user, I am here to be as neutral as possible. 

R

reeffreak

Why?

Lol I hear that salty but the fact is the matter was never solved. So close it down and let it be doesn't do a thing. We all know theres some snaky maneuvers going on and I think people have finally had enough and won't put up with it, you wanna come post on the forum store or not then have some respect callin people perverts and pretty much saying they can't afford way they have to offer is insane can't believe I seen that put up publicly.

R

reeffreak

Why?

Ya but who you guys are missing is you closed that thread another gets started ... What's the point leave it open, nasty or not we are all grown men and women here...  I sure hope we can handle a few remarks without having a temper tantrums and askin mods to close threads

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
You think this site not having paid sponsors wouldnt be subjected to all the drama as the other sites.

Personally I think anything could and should be discussed as long as it's truthful and there are no personal attacks. 

I didnt see any personal attacks in the other thread but maybe in not in the know.  Either way if the premise of the thread is truthful and not slander a discussion should be allowed to take place...if the thread goes into personal attacks those posts should be deleted and the user possibly disciplined (i know bad word).

In a thread where we are unsure of who is telling the truth the discussion should still continue and let all parties have there say......

If we keep the conversation open and civil we can have disagreements and still be a happy place.

Also the key to open forums is to realize that people will speak their mind more so than real life....so in turn you also have to be more flexible and not take comments to heart.  It's just the way it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.