Wp apex harness help

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Torx link said:
This is going to sound stupid maybe, but the DC wire, the one is black with white stripes is the positive and leads to the inside pin and the outer sleeve is negative right?
if ur talking about the jaebo power supply, the inside is + and the outside is -

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Yes, just wanted to be sure I was hooking up the female end the right way, and I did. Tested all the connections and all soldered well. At a loss. I have 2 more 1/4w 1kohm resistors, I may just try another from scratch, only with more lead on the wires to make it easier to work with. Or it is my Apex stupidity that is causing it to not work...

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
u must use a patch cable, not a crossover cable, the connector in the picture from reefs.com is a patch cable, term 3 is green and is neg, term 4 is blue/white and is pos.
use can use an ohm meter to verify the wire color from the rj45 connector pin to the wire at the cut off end.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Torx link said:
Yes, just wanted to be sure I was hooking up the female end the right way, and I did. Tested all the connections and all soldered well. At a loss. I have 2 more 1/4w 1kohm resistors, I may just try another from scratch, only with more lead on the wires to make it easier to work with. Or it is my Apex stupidity that is causing it to not work...
when the ports are at 100% the green lights should be lit on either side of the vdm port on the controller

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Pistol link said:
u must use a patch cable, not a crossover cable, the connector in the picture from reefs.com is a patch cable, term 3 is green and is neg, term 4 is blue/white and is pos.
use can use an ohm meter to verify the wire color from the rj45 connector pin to the wire at the cut off end.

Yes, I did use a meter to verify the wire color from the rj45 connector to the wire at the cut off end. I am using pins 7 ground and 8 0-10v per the previous picture.

This is what I have and verified all the connections...

aa7w21.jpg

is there something in the Advanced setup for the Apex that I should try? The lights are green on all the vdm ports on the controller. Right now it is just Set PF2

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
in outlet set up, you will have 4 variable ports, set the corresponding port or all the ports if your not sure to ON

Set ON

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Pistol link said:
in outlet set up, you will have 4 variable ports, set the corresponding port or all the ports if your not sure to ON

Set ON

All set to Set ON, and no spinning. The outlet that it is on is set on and works find when using the factory controller on that outlet.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
with your voltmeter set to volts and auto-ranging, connect the black lead to the blue wire(-), then touch the red lead to the brown wire(+), it should read @ 24v, then touch the red lead to the green wire and it should read @ 5v. Do this with the cable plugged into the apex controller.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Hrmmm, interesting, getting 24v on the positive lead when connected to the positive from the adapter and negative as mentioned, but when I move the positive to the other cat wire before the resistor, it is only 2v and 1v after the resistor.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Torx link said:
Hrmmm, interesting, getting 24v on the positive lead when connected to the positive from the adapter and negative as mentioned, but when I move the positive to the other cat wire before the resistor, it is only 2v and 1v after the resistor.
Pump won't run at 1v, sounds like your resistors are too low in wattage.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
dammit. I went to the only 2 places I could think of an the only ones they had were 1/4w and 1/8w. I thought I read that others did it with 1/4 resistors, which is what I got.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Torx link said:
I should look for 1w 1K Ohm resistor?
I used 47k ohm 1/4 watt
You are getting the divide but you are overloading the 0-10v signal IMO, I have heard of peeps using 1k but most use 5k, and 47k definitely works.
I would try at least a 5k 1/4watt

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
you won't damage anything trying those resistors, i am double checking the wattage of my resistors but they are either 1/4 or 1/2 watt.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Torx link said:
From what I know, it will just make them run warmer if anything. I will try a 47k 1/8 watt now, iron is already hot and waiting.

PS, killer avatar.
Hold the presses, just opened mine up and checked, I have for certain 2.7k 1/4 watt. (my bad memory)

Thanks, I like to change it up if you haven't noticed.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Torx link said:
just tried 3.3k and I am getting 5 out of the apex, but 2.8 after that resistor, maybe try  10k once i find it in this pile o resistors
you mean 1k?
pump running now?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
The first one was 1/8w 1K, that is where I was left with 2v out of the Apex and 1v after the resistor from the Apex. 1/8w 3.3k I am getting 5v out of the apex, but 2.8v after that resistor...still no spinning.