140g rimless reef

nexusnight

Nope never got around to a par test. Whish I had to be honest. I feel like these are def brighter.
I am running 6 blue plus 1purple and 1 coral plus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teebone110

Distinguished Member
nexusnight link said:
Nope never got around to a par test. Whish I had to be honest. I feel like these are def brighter.
I am running 6 blue plus 1purple and 1 coral plus

images

nexusnight

Thanks guys!!:) I'm sure this light is putting out mor par then the five hydras were. In the pic of the Zoa garden u can see a green rock nem, he seems more light sensitive then the others cause as soon as these lights came on full blast he was quick to relocate under that shady spot he's in now. Also my tube nem hardly opens during the day now, it would be open all day and night under the hydras. I'm excited to see the diffrence on the comming months. I'm also wondering if the better overall spectrum will curb my algea growth.

MrHermit85

Just read your entire thread! Man it's inspiring to see someone build everything including the tank! Great scape and design!

nexusnight

Quick update... Lights been running now since Thursday.... Already I have seen an improvement in sps colour and the cyano do been battling is 95% gone and still dieing off :) also I'd been battling some fluffy green algea, when I cleaned the tank on sat I left or on the powerheads, last night I had to remove the remaining algea a as it was literally letting go and falling off. I'm thinking its dieing off? Anyway I am extremely surprised by the changes already.  Will keep updated on results and may have to do a hydra to t5 comparison review.

nexusnight

If in doubt of the sudden changes, not implying anything here, jerry was by last night and saw first hand what's goin on ;)

nexusnight

i like new toys lol, all seriousness i found the hydras were not cutting it for sps.... they look awesome and do great on lps,softie and zoas. in fact my zoas were growing extremely well. I had to run the hydras dialed way down,whites never exceeded 20% because stuff would bleach. My tank is still young and water params are not perfect IMO yet to make life easy for the animals in my tank (corals) so by using t5 that we all know work this gives things a chance to actually grow. My colors are coming back and new pieces look great. I thought i could go just  softie,lps,zoa but the sticks keep calling me lol. I was able to grow sps and keep it colored up well in my 55g with t5 so i figure i would go back to it.
I feel that when running led fixtures this removes any margins for error in water quality as the lighting is far different than what corals are used to. If everything was perfect and coral were doing extremely well than maybe a switch to led would be ok. Im not going back at least not until t5 gets phased out because something else is better. I don't think that will happen....

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
cptstnkpnts link said:
You know anyone who is selling some hydras???

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

I have one hydra left for sale.

Bayinaung

nexusnight link said:
i like new toys lol, all seriousness i found the hydras were not cutting it for sps.... they look awesome and do great on lps,softie and zoas. .

yeah I found the same comment for hydras. same goes for maxspect razors. some are able to do SPS with hydras though, haven't seen their tank in person yet. It's a lot of money only to find out they don't work so I'm sorry to hear that.  I am hearing good things about ecotech radions gen3. evergrow does fine for all but it doesn't have pop as they dont use a lot of the expensive diodes (near UVs) so they are relatively inexpensive. If you still have your hydras I will get him in touch with you. I asked him what he does with his and he said don't play around with them. whatever that means.

nexusnight

I no longer have the hydras. I made a deal in order to get the lights I have now.

nexusnight

Here is the par map of my tank. I was suprised at the numbers  :eek: Thanks phil for comming out and hope thoes frags do well for you!!!!The meter jumps around a bit as u need perfect steady hands and well, i think we both lacked that lol. any way we were able to get good readings that were steady long enough to write them down.
highest reading was 705par and thats about 7" below the water line. water is about 20" from surface to sand.This light is a beast  8)

nexusnight

its been awhile so i was messing around last night and shot a vid. check it out:) Dont mind the small patch of gha or whatever algae it is lol,i only grows out of a couple rock, so i figure it leaching po4. i trim it and watch it grow for now, eventually itll go away lol

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLIGASAj1jw&feature=youtu.be
Have a great day fellow reefers!!

nexusnight

new video ;) had to rescape the tank to fit my overall vision better an a couple new pices that are quite large lol. belive this is the final scape as i really like the way the tank looks now, also tried dosing the microbacter7 as was suggested by monzib for the cyano problem, works pretty darn good i must say,
removed any live rock from display that was still growing gha and it now lays in the dark sump :)

a note on the vid i shoulda cleaned the back wall the other day as it looks worse in the vid than in person, but it feed my tangs and lawnmower blenny and cuc lol

Watch it in HD!! ;D

feel free to let me know what you think! thanks guys and gals and happy reefing!!!

http://youtu.be/Tc325pwMQVA