320 Gallon/ 1212 Liter - SPS/mixed Reef

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Thanks for sharing!  Stop by more often :) I've been following your "success with LEDs" thread over on Reef Central.  Love the stuff you've been trying out.

nexusnight

Congrats on ur tank being featured as an example of aqua scraping on advanced aquarist. I thought I recognized it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bayinaung

Re: 320 Gallon/ 1212 Liter - SPS/mixed Reef Chesterfield MI USA Just over the Border

tdb320reef link said:
Thanks - Here is a FTS shot in Jan where I won TOTM for a Michigan Site.  This tank is 100% LED Driven with over 200 different SPS colonies.  All of these colonies started from approx. 1\" frags Nov. 2012:

[img=1400x933]http://images.cpucs.com/images/jan2013.JPG[/img]
holy crap!  that looks amazing!  dude that's TOTM ANYWHERE. yeah I just found your thread. :)

tdb320reef

Website
www.coralfragz.com
Here are some pics - I posted on other boards but for those that don't travel outside.

uw1.jpg

uw2.jpg

uw3.jpg

uw4.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
:drool:

I'm so jealous of your tank size!!!!! I can spy lots of spots still in your tank where I think I could sneak a frag or two in lol ;)
Are you going out to the Lansing Coral Expo this weekend Tom?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Reef Hero link said:

I'm so jealous of your tank size!!!!! I can spy lots of spots still in your tank where I think I could sneak a frag or two in lol ;)

what happens when the frags fill in though, doesn't the trimming just get redic?

tdb320reef

Website
www.coralfragz.com
unibob link said:
How much are you dosing each day? And what method/product are you using?

CA, MG, and ALK
I use Two Part 100ML per day and 20OZ of MG per 1gallon,  Calcium Reactor with a steady stream and Kalk about 16OZ per week.

Light
10 120 Watt LED panels and 4 250 Watt Mh Radiums

Carbon, Nitrogen, Phosphate  (C:N:p)
I use 500ML of biopellets recirculating with about 100GPH of Flow through,

Carbon, Nitrogen
Nutrient solution everyday before lights on.  20ML of Fuel, 60 ML of Vinigar, 1 drop of iodine, 2tsp of oyster feast all mixed together.

Feeding the tank - everyday  (Phosphates)

3 instances of pellets mixed with 1MM, 5MM, cyclops-eze, coral frenzy, and reef chili on Neptune AFS
2 Large sheets of Nori
Large melted rchunk of PE Mysys in the evening
Sometimes flakes if my fish are good.

I have also changed my skimmer to Dry Skim
Moved Water changes to once per month
Removed GFO  as the aforementioned solution keeps the natural bacteria up eliminating the phosphates in the system.
Use .5 cup of Rox .08 to remove, prevent OD in trace elements considering they are being added daily.

My Crash over the summer 100% was stressed starving corals giving up with a serious absence of nitrogen!

tdb320reef

Website
www.coralfragz.com
Reef Hero link said:

Yes, I will be there.  The reef is rocking so I am not going to sell frags but hopefully I can score a couple nice RR Pieces.

tdb320reef

Website
www.coralfragz.com
unibob link said:
[quote author=Reef Hero link=topic=4364.msg81207#msg81207 date=1392252337]

what happens when the frags fill in though, doesn't the trimming just get redic?
[/quote]

All of my colonies are on large pieces of rock that can be remove trimmed and replaced or moved.  The only one that I cannot move is the big green slimmer which by the way the purple cap will eventually take it over if I don't do something.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Interesting ...So do you think if you would have added this nitrogen mixture all along, that you could have prevented the crash you had over the summer?

Was the issue that your corals were starving due to a nutrient imbalance related to an increased demand from the biopellets?

tdb320reef

Website
www.coralfragz.com
teebone110 link said:
Interesting ...So do you think if you would have added this nitrogen mixture all along, that you could have prevented the crash you had over the summer?

Was the issue that your corals were starving due to a nutrient imbalance related to an increased demand from the biopellets?

Yes the corals were starving as the system was so efficient at removing nitrates and phosphates.  What little bit was put in the system was quickly removed by the biopellets, bacteria, wet skimming and clams.  Nitrates remained 0 for a few months after I stopped using biopellets.  Given the weak corals,  HVAC issues and several adjustments there after the corals were giving up.  Once the Nitrates hit .2 - 1 the system came back alive but the growth was slow.  The solution was to turn the BP's back on with minimal biopellets and slow flow.  Dry skim and extend water changes. Add nutrients to get the CNP process in gear.  I am sure what I put in the morning is removed by the end of the day.    Corals are now Rich in color,  Less expense in WC,  Less effort changing the skimmer, and I have not had an STn event since I change the philosophy.  The damaged corals are growing back and encrusting over the dead spots.