45g Shallow Rimless Peninsula Aquacultured Sps Reef

Kyle1970

I think you did a great job.
Not the typical look for a light fixture which is nice to see. Taking notes for a future build for sure.
Also really like the tank dimensions. Starting to "long" for a shallow tank setup myself.

Keep the updates coming.

jroovers

Super Active Member
Looks good Jordan I wish my progress of setting up your old 120 was where you are. If i knew you where thinking of going with the JNS C01 skimmer we could of maybe figured out a swap of skimmers. You will like the C-01 mine has handled my 90 gallon with ease. Can't wait to see your awesome pics of this tank.

Yes, I was back and forth on the skimmer, and in hindsight I'm maybe wishing I would have stuck with the CO2, especially if I plumb another tank or barrel inline with the system to increase water volume. I'm thinking I'm getting the CO1 tuned in finally, it has taken longer than expected and give it is smaller, I find it more difficult to tune. I love the nice small footprint though, and it is very quiet.

reef keeper

Super Active Member
If you can't find old knob and tube wiring try using black parachute cord. The rope comes out. Just make sure to use a lighter on the ends or it will unravel.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Yes, I was back and forth on the skimmer, and in hindsight I'm maybe wishing I would have stuck with the CO2, especially if I plumb another tank or barrel inline with the system to increase water volume. I'm thinking I'm getting the CO1 tuned in finally, it has taken longer than expected and give it is smaller, I find it more difficult to tune. I love the nice small footprint though, and it is very quiet.

I've still got my old CO2 sitting unused in my basement if you ever decide the CO1 isn't cutting it.

jroovers

Super Active Member
If you can't find old knob and tube wiring try using black parachute cord. The rope comes out. Just make sure to use a lighter on the ends or it will unravel.

That is a good idea, I wrapped the cords in rope though, so won't need to do this, but still a good thought :)

I've still got my old CO2 sitting unused in my basement if you ever decide the CO1 isn't cutting it.

Thanks Phil, I'm surprised someone hasn't scooped that up from you yet

DerekL

I have found with my C01 if I have the bubbles breaking right at the first white ring on the body the thicker one I get a really good dark skimmate. I wish I had the C02 for when I set up the 120 but am going to see what results I get with the C01. I have a vertex in180 as a back up if I find the co1 not cutting it. Just really like my JNS skimmer.

jroovers

Super Active Member
Time for a long overdue update. I've made progress with the tank:

- Finished side trim and top grating, which is all detachable through shelf brackets and adhesive to allow me access to the overflow area if needed for adjustments and maintenance

- Removed my RW4s. They were ok on one half of the tank, but the water stalled at the far side of the peninsula. I added a Maxspect Gyre 130, so far this thing is amazing, the flow is perfect for my tank. :) Have it at setting 5 and even at that setting the flow is incredible.

- Removed my sand bed and replaced with travertine tile. Over the long term, this will be easier for maintenance. Had a temporary nutrient spike (0.02 on the Hanna for phosphates), but everything is looking good.

- Did some more trim on the stand, added venting, mounted controllers, etc.

- Added 165W Chinese LED fixture to my refuge, which will become my frag area.

- I did a bunch of other stuff, can't remember it all, onto the pictures.

jroovers

Super Active Member
22215875081_14506c6643_c.jpg

22192833522_71725948e2_c.jpg

22017479010_fbea945567_c.jpg

21584534873_9ce4a98da6_c.jpg

22018662859_6763fa65c4_c.jpg

22018663749_fe40efd0ba_c.jpg

22205547605_98a5cded8a_c.jpg

21584529633_0b9ccdd545_c.jpg