anybody tried one of these

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Reef Hero link said:
Off topic again but waves are not created from the sun or moon..... Maybe whale farts tho.
Waves are created by the wind (air molecules rushing past the water surface) and also by the ground (seabed) earth movement (I.e in extreme cases a tsunami)
Neither of these actually cause the water to move horizontally but rather only vertically.... The water however when caused to move vertical will flatten out again and appear to be moving horizontal. Horizontal water movement is important for the growth of many corals because it will import and export nutrients.... This is why the best reefs in the world are usually in areas where water is flowing through very rapidly caused by the narrowing and widening of streams.... This was explained in the video I posted, \"reefs of riches\"

All tides are caused by the moon.  Waves aren't, but it is conjectured by some that if we didn't have tides, creatures that inhabited the ocean may never have adapted to breathe air.  Think about that one some time. 

KBennett

I think the major reef currents are more likely caused by prevailing currents and tides. 
I also think that quite a few of our corals feed at night.  We don't have the plankton concentration as on a real reef, so I think it is more important to keep things stirred up for them.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Can we say we all win?

The tides are caused by the moons gravitational pull.
Waves are mostly caused by the wind.
Underwater earthquakes can also cause huge waves which can hit the shore hundreds of miles away.

All of them equal flow, just some appear on the top of the water and most happens under the water line.
It is a little of everything that makes the wavy shit wavy.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Reef Hero link said:
Off topic again but waves are not created from the sun or moon..... Maybe whale farts tho.
Waves are created by the wind (air molecules rushing past the water surface) and also by the ground (seabed) earth movement (I.e in extreme cases a tsunami)
Neither of these actually cause the water to move horizontally but rather only vertically.... The water however when caused to move vertical will flatten out again and appear to be moving horizontal. Horizontal water movement is important for the growth of many corals because it will import and export nutrients.... This is why the best reefs in the world are usually in areas where water is flowing through very rapidly caused by the narrowing and widening of streams.... This was explained in the video I posted, \"reefs of riches\"
The sun powers the wind, it heats the water and air, the air rises, carries moisture, causes the wind and storms and hurricanes and tornados and typhoons and all the weather

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Pistol link said:
[quote author=Reef Hero link=topic=6721.msg77041#msg77041 date=1389903024]
The sun powers the wind, it heats the water and air, the air rises, carries moisture, causes the wind and storms and hurricanes and tornados and typhoons and all the weather
[/quote]

No all that is done by Jesus. 

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=Pistol link=topic=6721.msg77061#msg77061 date=1389907695]
[quote author=Reef Hero link=topic=6721.msg77041#msg77041 date=1389903024]
[/quote]

No all that is done by Jesus.
[/quote]What does some spanish guy have to do with it?

sidewinder

My only thinking in wanting to ramp down flow at night is that in the ocean, critters have more options on where to find somewhere to rest at night as opposed to my 2ft by 2ft cube.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Well all I was going to say is that if by "critters" u mean pods, bristleworms, etc...
Then most of these critters are nocturnal and are most active at night.
I have my flow going all the time full blast.... I only turn off everything except wave box and return pump to feed and work in the tank.

sidewinder

Errm, I was assuming that everyone's main concern was the critters (livestock) they cared about. My appologies for using the vernacular. What I was getting at is that most "creatures" dont eat and rest or sleep in the same area. In smaller environments, such as a nano tank, we have sort of limited their options. I'm guessing that not many of us are marine biologists in here, including me. So lets call it personal preference  :)

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
finally, most people have been waiting for this one.

a dual controller.

http://www.fish-street.com/jebao_twins_linkage_controller?category_id=126

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
this skimmer is looking like a great deal also, just shipping is a killer

http://www.fish-street.com/coral_box_dc_curve_skimmer_d700?category_id=126