anybody tried one of these

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
I believe on CanReef it was determined with information direct from the manufacturers that the variable speed power suppliers are not certified in Canada. 

....IIRC

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
BIGSHOW link said:
I believe on CanReef it was determined with information direct from the manufacturers that the variable speed power suppliers are not certified in Canada. 

....IIRC

So what's your take on the reef octopus using the identical power supply?

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Duke link said:
[quote author=BIGSHOW link=topic=6721.msg70037#msg70037 date=1385479327]

....IIRC

[/quote]

How is it identical?

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
With the amount of them out there... How many have you heard of burning up?

It would be like winning he bad lottery ...I would take the risk lol.

KBennett

I was actually surprised that Jebao has UL certifications for it's stuff.
You can look it up here: Just search Jebao and China
http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/index.html
Nothing came up on the ULc site, bu there is mention of Canadian certifications on the link I posted.

Honestly, If it passes UL, thats good enough for me.

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
Duke link said:

....IIRC

[/quote]

As Jerry said, it sure looks identical, but is it?  As well, maybe Reef Octopus did there due diligence and had there power supply certified.  Again, I don't know.

As I have said before I have no problem using either of them, with or without the certification, as Neo stated the likely hood of something happening is slim (this can be backed up by the amount of people using the pumps with no issues). However,  as a seller you can be held liable for the products you sell. 

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
unibob link said:
[quote author=Duke link=topic=6721.msg70040#msg70040 date=1385481029]

....IIRC

[/quote]

How is it identical?
[/quote]

How is it not identical? The changed power adapter to reef octopus.. The manufacturer and everything else is identical..

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
its only a matter of time until you begin to see rebranded wp-40's being sold by the major hardware companys.. you dont think reef octopus and rlss arent going to cash in on the craze jabeo has brought?, Jabeo will be happy to rebadge them for anyone just like the DC pumps, im sure once the patent legalities are all settled and its found that while strikingly similar when you get down to techlicalities.. they are no infringements at all.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
power supply and controller look the same as my speedwave 1320 gph

http://www.advancedreefaquatics.ca/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=496&osCsid=9drdhts25jd2f2mo506pa5jf45

theyangman

Distinguished Member
pulpfiction1 link said:
power supply and controller look the same as my speedwave 1320 gph

http://www.advancedreefaquatics.ca/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=496&osCsid=9drdhts25jd2f2mo506pa5jf45

Photos like this make me feel so much better about the rats nest of wires I have behind my tank. At least I am not the only one who can't make heads or tails of all the cords behind my tank.... lol

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Not to drag up an old topic...but I will LoL

I just spend the day really digging and this is what I found.

The pumps and controller do not need to be CSA approved as they run at less the 100v per OESC Rule 2-022(3) (c) specifies some exceptions (being: Class I hazardous locations are those in which vapours or gases may be present and Class II hazardous locations are those in which dust may be suspended in the air to the extent that explosive concentrations may be present) to electrical product approval requirements. Electrical equipment does not require approval if it connected to the load side of an approved Class 2 power supply whose power output does not exceed 100 V, (thanks to a fellow TFT member who posted info on another forum), either way, the pumps are CE approved.

The power source on the other hand is where the legal concern rises. The power source IS c UL US approved and c UL US is certified for use in Canada. (http://www.ul.com/canada/eng/pages/aboutus/). Jebao (jebao.com) is a major manufacture of pond and aquarium pumps. They have been around for over a decade and are the MAG drive pump of China, if you may.

BUT If you are really concerned with the CSA stamp you should also probably get rid of any wavelive/speedwave/diablo dc pumps, as well as, CADLights pumps are not certified from what I have read thus far.

So the only thing really remaining in question is if you want to use their legally branded c UL US power source, if you are worried about that, then you can get a CSA one and still be spending a fraction of the cost of a vortec product. That is of course if you can even find one on the market listed as CSA approved as my brand new Alienware 17 laptop from Dell came with a power source that is not labeled CSA approved, as well as all of my name brand external hard drives, Dlink router, wireless phone, canon video camera, Bell HD reciever, Samsung 46" LCD TV...etc etc, all not listed as CSA approved, only c UL US approved.

Link to Jebao's power source certification: (Source)

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
look at you go buddy,must be done for the week and sitting home bored  lol 
nice work  :)

and on a side note,they are looking for peeps to work tomorrow if your bored  hahahaha

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Long story short, these are legal in Canada.

I was advising someone on FB to grab one of these up for their flow issue in their tank and she said that her electrician husband said no. Which then got me to thinking and well...that blurb came from that. There is a final answer to anyone who wondered about the product. It IS 100% legal to use in Canada and meets all safety standards.

As for working tomorrow, no thanks :D, I have spent enough hours this week dealing with weather, I am happy to stay home.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
pulpfiction1 link said:

and on a side note,they are looking for peeps to work tomorrow if your bored  hahahaha
pulpfiction1 link said:

wrorking weekends is good

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
anyone catch that neptune systems is working with or should i say (rebranding) the jebao powerheads to have their very own apex controllable powerhead and word on the street is that the DC return pump is also in the works.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Duke link said:
anyone catch that neptune systems is working with or should i say (rebranding) the jebao powerheads to have their very own apex controllable powerhead and word on the street is that the DC return pump is also in the works.

Yes, I heard that too. Probably only because they have found that Jebao is already one step ahead of them on it and planning on releasing a multi pump controller. They probably also heard about how easy the pump itself can be modded to work with an Apex unit and going to piggy back the RA harness design only make the harness and pump 'theirs' before Jebao releases it.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Torx link said:
[quote author=Duke link=topic=6721.msg76394#msg76394 date=1389391564]

Yes, I heard that too. Probably only because they have found that Jebao is already one step ahead of them on it and planning on releasing a multi pump controller. They probably also heard about how easy the pump itself can be modded to work with an Apex unit and going to piggy back the RA harness design only make the harness and pump 'theirs' before Jebao releases it.
[/quote]
http://reefbuilders.com/2014/01/08/signs-point-neptune-systems-working-apex-pump/