Di Resin From Reef Supplies Canada

Skim

I will get straight to the point. Anyone having any kind of issues with DI resin from Reef Supplies Canada or is just myself?

Skim

Nighthawk26

YES!

Fast, but more importantly and odd, is not changing colour! I have talked to Ray with nothing but reassurance. I had BRS and others changing colour. Then his, no change colour, back to another change colour, back to his, no dice. He offered to send a replacement, but I ordered 4. 2 left unused.

Sewerat

Super Active Member
I replaced all filters including to membrane, have made maybe 300gals water and now reading 3ppm on output side

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Skim

OK good, it's not just me. I spoke with Johnny today about it and he said he had couple of people say the same thing. Mine is showing only have used but meter shows other wise. He said that have moved to a different supplier now and will shoot one out me but we'll see, I believe he said the old stuff was green in colour and the new stuff is blue in colour.

Sewerat

Super Active Member
Ya that's what I have found as well last batch was same blue but only centre shows some change in colour

Sewerat

Super Active Member
I also run a 3 stage prior to my water softener fr whole house, then the 3stage ro/Di unit so you'd think I get enough filtration

Skim

I run the BRS 6 Stage 150 gal/day it has the dual DI I like it. I run the GE pre filters 1 micron and the special Carbon filters that BRS sells, things last for ever. I don't even know if its worth running DI, I get 4ppm out before DI I have thought about just stop using DI and save the funds. What the heck could be in the 4ppm, maybe gas off from Chlorine and Chloramine removal and separation?

Nighthawk26

I'm happy to hear these comments. Ray had me feeling like I was a PITA crazy person as he sells TONS of it, and not one single other complaint. I feel better about asking for all 4 being replaced now. I also run a 6 stage 150gpd BRS. With that DI, I'm getting a few hundred gallons at 0. I did order the chloramine kit from BRS that uses the granular carbon, then the chloramine specific carbon. I will change all filters out and go from there. Significant chloramine in water here in KW. That (and I have not tested) and according to BRS, I could have higher CO2. I'll give that a look too for explanation. Otherwise even using dual DI, I'm going through about 2 a month.

Nighthawk26

QUOTE="reef keeper, post: 217903, member: 651"]Just buy from MOPS. NEVER AN ISSUE[/QUOTE]

$19.99 for a canister worth. That's stupid.

I will likely be sourcing LARGE quantity. Maybe sell some off for a reasonable price to friends. I personally don't care about colour changing. It gets burned up faster anyways. Nuclear grade is all I need.

Skim

OK so at 2:30 am I finished replacing my DI Resin with the same stuff as before and I made sure I marked down the date in my computer so I don't lose it. The other thing I did was make sure to expel all air from DI Canisters so Resin is in full contact. I don't believe when they say it does not affect it, I believe it can create a tunnel affect or channeling then is misses much of the Resin and could leave you with unused Resin because of the channeling. Just my thoughts.

reef keeper

Super Active Member
I just packed it in like crazy. I change mine every year. And I JUST changed out my RO membrane after more than 2 years.

Source water is where a lot of issues can begin, and I believe, most do.

Bigfish

I've found in the past that the non color changing resin lasted longer for me. I could care less about it as I have an inline tds meter. A good trick, some of you may already know, is to use the bottom of a beer bottle to pack the resin into your canisters tighter. Not all bottles fit, but some fit just perfectly allowing you to force more resin into it. I continue to use mine until it goes over 2 tds. Otherwise it would be getting replaced way too often .

SamB

Super Active Member
I've found in the past that the non color changing resin lasted longer for me. I could care less about it as I have an inline tds meter. A good trick, some of you may already know, is to use the bottom of a beer bottle to pack the resin into your canisters tighter. Not all bottles fit, but some fit just perfectly allowing you to force more resin into it. I continue to use mine until it goes over 2 tds. Otherwise it would be getting replaced way too often .

Great tip ! Thanks !

Nighthawk26

I just packed it in like crazy. I change mine every year. And I JUST changed out my RO membrane after more than 2 years.

Source water is where a lot of issues can begin, and I believe, most do.

I'm sorry, what? You changed DI ONCE A YEAR?

Perhaps we have discovered another tank issue??

Nighthawk26

I use a 2" PVC pipe with a end cap. Works perfect.

Skim

I replaced all filters including to membrane, have made maybe 300gals water and now reading 3ppm on output side

Well just a little update on this topic. I had some bags of the same DI Resin so I changed both canisters on Sat. Jan.,16th and I just finished filling up my 5 gal. top up bucket and when I went to look at my numbers from my brand new TDS meters that I replaced on unit I was getting 5 ppm out from Membrane and 1 ppm from first DI canister and after thinking about how much water did I put threw the Resin, I came up with about the as Sewerat did 300 gals.
Interesting, I think I will be calling RSC.

Skim