Di Resin From Reef Supplies Canada

Nighthawk26

-- ALL resin changes color whether it from blue to brown... or brown to gold brown ... they all exhibit a slight change/shift in color.
-- The color change will happen from top to bottom or bottom to top deAgainpending on your flow
-- Resins are pretty tough and can last for decades if you decide to regenerate them yourself. Iron is a poison to the Cation(i think) resin but not to the extent it seems to be reported here.
-- The chances of a bad "batch" is pretty low due to the manufacturing process itself.
-- If you are not getting color change and suffering breakthrough early then you are getting channelling through the resin cartridge.... path of least resistance etc etc. They need to be packed evenly to avoid it.
-- They will exhaust much faster if the preceding filters are leaking by.
-- Hard water will deplete them faster as well.

=============

Typically Anyways ;)

=============

I'd like to trial some the "bad" resin if anyone is around the sarnia area.

As a general statement, I will agree 100% with everything said above.

However, like I mentioned in detail. Good, Bad, Good, Bad, Good. Those are my last resin changes. With a new carbon in between the first and second bad. That change being AFTER the 2rd good, and before the 2nd bad. The immediate last good which I've since JUST cleared through and now put more DI in (batch I got from ABD before they closed), and made 20G so far and 1" or so at bottom has started to change.

Packing is a huge deal for sure. I literally use a 1.5" pipe with a cap and POUND it in. There is no flex to the canister. Channeling can always happen, but it's not happening enough to where NOTHING changes, not even small sections.

Again. 6 on TDS meter after membrane with EVERY change. So that doesn't help explain anything. Not hard water, not anything. I have a softener.

I will email Ray the information he wants. This is all information I already gave after the first and second time, but I will allow him to collect what he wants in email to do whatever he chooses to do.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
I j
As a general statement, I will agree 100% with everything said above.

However, like I mentioned in detail. Good, Bad, Good, Bad, Good. Those are my last resin changes. With a new carbon in between the first and second bad. That change being AFTER the 2rd good, and before the 2nd bad. The immediate last good which I've since JUST cleared through and now put more DI in (batch I got from ABD before they closed), and made 20G so far and 1" or so at bottom has started to change.

Packing is a huge deal for sure. I literally use a 1.5" pipe with a cap and POUND it in. There is no flex to the canister. Channeling can always happen, but it's not happening enough to where NOTHING changes, not even small sections.

Again. 6 on TDS meter after membrane with EVERY change. So that doesn't help explain anything. Not hard water, not anything. I have a softener.

I will email Ray the information he wants. This is all information I already gave after the first and second time, but I will allow him to collect what he wants in email to do whatever he chooses to do.

When I pack it I fill 1/4... tap it on the counter... fill to 1/2... tap.. 3/4 tap.. full tap. Over packing it can lead to channeling as well. Maybe try a slightly looser pack.

zoomster

I j

When I pack it I fill 1/4... tap it on the counter... fill to 1/2... tap.. 3/4 tap.. full tap. Over packing it can lead to channeling as well. Maybe try a slightly looser pack.
this is the method I use as well.then at the end I press it down firmly with just my hand. I did try the " hard pack" method but found it to be inefficient.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
=============================
MOVED REGEN TALK TO OTHER THREAD - HIJACKING ... my Bad
============================

Skim

Well far as I understand you want it to be packed as tight as possible because if the resin is loose it will channel for sure.

Sewerat

Super Active Member
I just pack tight enough so it all fit in the supplied canister, why pack anymore? I don't have leftovers to fill with. Now when my 5lbs supply shows up that might be a different story.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quartapound

Well obviously they (Reef supplies) has some cause for concern, they must have a lot of people contacting them about it that aren't happy I would assume, got this email from them a few days ago....

Hello (Français ci-dessous)

I hope we can have a minute of your time? We are doing quick survey on the our bulk DI resin that you purchased in the last 3-6 months.

We want to know:

- has it been performing to your exceptions?

- Are you satisfied with the product and pricing?

- Are you seeing a significant rise in TDS as the color fades from blue to tan?

Lastly, would you buy this product again?

Thank you

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Nighthawk26

Thanks for posting that. I got the same email, and had asked the other 2 guys commenting in this thread if they received the same email, and they have not. So I was wondering who actually did get it.

Sewerat

Super Active Member
After some of the comments on here I appreciate the fact that they are looking at this forum and want to rectify this problem. But at the same time I am looking into other methods to improve my own system

reef keeper

Super Active Member
I think the biggest key is going to be the BRS carbon blocks. Ryan shows a scientific testing method. I'm sure hawk has the link, since I'm in California having to sweat. Boohoo.

Nighthawk26

Well of course your treatment pre DI is going to play a MAJOR role. The idea here is all things equal TDS out of sediment and carbon, and Membrane, what are different DI's doing for people.

Personally, I think the largest misunderstanding is the differences between Chlorine, and Chloramine, and how SIGNIFICANTLY worse the latter is. That and running any TDS through the DI. From my understanding, someone running 10TDS into DI compared to 1 TDS into DI is literally meaning you will burn through it x10 faster. That and when to change out Sediment and or Carbon. People reading filter seeing X number of gallons and changing then. Also not understanding that it's not system water you count, it's total water, INCLUDING waste. many systems are 4:1, 3:1. SO for every 250g of usable water you make, you are actually more like 1250. WHICH if you are using a Chloraplus-10 cartridge and it lasted that max amount it claims (again, isn't necessarily the case), if you make 500G of product water, your carbon is pretty much dead, if not before that.

Nighthawk26

So what about a guy like me that is well water and no chlorides at all? Likely heavy nitrates

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another thing I should have added was CO2. Have you checked your output RO water for that? You will tear through DI crazy fast if you have CO2 in your RO water.