Di Resin From Reef Supplies Canada

Nighthawk26

Well just a little update on this topic. I had some bags of the same DI Resin so I changed both canisters on Sat. Jan.,16th and I just finished filling up my 5 gal. top up bucket and when I went to look at my numbers from my brand new TDS meters that I replaced on unit I was getting 5 ppm out from Membrane and 1 Let us ppm from first DI canister and after thinking about how much water did I put threw the Resin, I came up with about the as Sewerat did 300 gals.
Interesting, I think I will be calling RSC.

Skim

Let us know. I had 4. Used 1, thought it went quick, used the second to double check while keeping a closer eye. Crazy fast and color wouldn't even change. Have 2 left that I will just knowingly burn through for the sake of it. Ray offered to replace 1. :confused:

After much research and digging... I will be buying resin by the cuft (roughly 44lbs) and will sell off majority of excess. Will be non color changing. Hopefully will be here next week.

Reef Supplies

Hello everyone,

Rest assured we will do what is necessary to rectify this issue, if there is indeed an issue (more on this below).

YES!
Fast, but more importantly and odd, is not changing colour! I have talked to Ray with nothing but reassurance. I had BRS and others changing colour. Then his, no change colour, back to another change colour, back to his, no dice. He offered to send a replacement, but I ordered 4. 2 left unused.

Correct, We offered you a free refill to help us diagnose the issue. All our DI resin from day one has been colour indicating. Yours seems to be going bad BEFORE it has time to change colour. Like I said on the phone, that makes no sense to me and we offered you a free refill to try to solve this.

OK good, it's not just me. I spoke with Johnny today about it and he said he had couple of people say the same thing. Mine is showing only have used but meter shows other wise. He said that have moved to a different supplier now and will shoot one out me but we'll see, I believe he said the old stuff was green in colour and the new stuff is blue in colour.

You either misunderstood him or vice versa. We have one supplier and they have two types of resin. One is green and one is blue. Both are colour indicating, both are the same price. They send us what they have available. It has nothing to do with the pre-usage colour.

Just buy from MOPS. NEVER AN ISSUE

Or we can try to resolve this? :)

I'm happy to hear these comments. Ray had me feeling like I was a PITA crazy person as he sells TONS of it, and not one single other complaint. I feel better about asking for all 4 being replaced now. I also run a 6 stage 150gpd BRS. With that DI, I'm getting a few hundred gallons at 0. I did order the chloramine kit from BRS that uses the granular carbon, then the chloramine specific carbon. I will change all filters out and go from there. Significant chloramine in water here in KW. That (and I have not tested) and according to BRS, I could have higher CO2. I'll give that a look too for explanation. Otherwise even using dual DI, I'm going through about 2 a month.

I don't understand why you would say something like that when we tried to help you by offering you a free refill? Maybe I do sound annoyed at times when you call but that's because you say stuff like ours sucks and BRS's is the best thing since sliced bread. When call a store to slam their stuff while praising the completion you will stir up emotions. We take pride in our business.

Yes we sell TONS. We go through a 540 pound batch roughly every 30-40 days. So yes, that would constitute as tons. No one else in Canada sells that much Di, period. So forgive me if I may brush off 5 lbs of complaints when we sell 5000+ LBS per year. But then again, I did offer to help.

Each 500 LBS batch has 12 x 45LBS bags. This means that we can pinpoint the batch by 45 lbs increments.

On to the problem at hand.

You must understand that not everyone in the hobby is as well knowledge as you guys here are. LOTS of hobbyists don't know that they have to replace their membranes, most don't even have TDS meters and the ones that do are till reading water in and water out. Instead of membrane out and clean water out. In other words, they have no idea what they are putting into their DI. Put in crap and you burn through DI in no time.

With that being said, We need YOUR help to try an solve this. I need you to email me personally, my email is rayATreefsupplies.ca

Email me the following:

- Purchase date or invoice ID
- Sediment / carbon age
- membrane age and type

And how many gallon approx. have you made with the DI until you saw a TDS of 1

Once we have this info we may be able to pinpoint IF indeed we have had a bad 45 pound bag. I think that IF there is an issue, its only with a 45 pound bag. Like I said, we would here a lot more complaints since we sell a TON.

Thanks,
Ray

Last edited:

zoomster

I agree with Ray ( @Reef Supplies ) some people don't know how to treat the rodi units properly. I have each stage of my rodi on a multi point meter ( water in, then after mechanical filters, membrane and finished product out of DI ). I also do frequent cross checks with a TDS pen so I know EXACTLY where and when things are going wrong and/or becoming exuasted. That way I if my DI seems to have a shorter lifespan, I can check if maybe my membrane is what actually needs replacing ect.
It sounds to me like they are trying to resolve the issue and maybe there actually is one.
If so, suppliers need us to work with them so that THEY can fix the issues on their end.

shamous113

Just a thought for those having problems with longevity of their DI resign, have you checked that your carbon hasn't been bunged up due to high iron levels in the input water? Iron will create a gelatin over the carbon block forcing water to bypass the carbon and allowing chlorine and chloramine to enter the membrane if you use GAC instead of carbon block, it will still have gelatin issues but not nearly as fast since with GAC there is a ton of surface area and not just a block. This is damaging to the membrane and will result in high TDS and early failure of DI resign.

Sewerat

Super Active Member
I replace all filters when Di goes. Generally it's only maybe half brown and half blue and usually blowing 20-30ppm. I have just replaced my membrane as well and same. Saw 3ppm and approx 200gals my Di only had about an inch band in the middle of it that had changed. Just another note my system is the vertex system with a pump and automatic flush for the membrane

Nighthawk26

To be clear to my points.

1.) I never said BRS was the best since sliced bread. In fact my only comment about BRS was that I had used it previous, AND after the first bag of DI that didn't last long nor did it change colour, and that both the before BRS batch, and the batch from BRS I used AFTER the first from Reefsupplies both changed colour and lasted considerably longer. That is the ONLY comment I made, and it was said to simply indicate I did in fact have different results with another product, and that clearly it's not how I'm using my RODI unit. I also said I used resin from another source and had same result with that as I did with BRS, which were both better. Regardless, this is not BRS resin vs RS resin vs any other companies resin. This is not YOUR resin. Meaning you don't make it. So ultimately if something is wrong, it's not from your doing, it's from the manufacturer.

2.) I called after the first batch seemed to be odd, and Ray asked me to try another and change out Carbon and sediment. Which I didn't feel was needed, but did none the less. Beffore that change I got about 6 out of membrane, and after changing out 2 carbons, as suspected, still 6 pre DI. So I used BRS that change, color changed and get longer than the last batch. Second time used the Reefsupplies 2nd bag and had same result again. At that point I called Ray back to let him know that I did exactly as he asked, trashed 2 perfectly good carbons as I figured to be the case just to be sure, and second bag was exactly the same. Back to BRS for another, and changed colour and lasted about 50% longer again. That's more than enough to me to show something is up.

3.) Multiple people chimed in here with similar issues, so that's when I start to get a little upset how I'm told it must just be me. Similar to you claiming you basically took offence to comments of not having issues with a competitors product, I take offence to being made to feel like I'm basically crazy, and take "pride" in my common sense.

4.) My membrane was 3 months old. Brand new unit. 6 out of my membrane is 6 out of my membrane.

NOW, to the defense of the whole thing, and this is just my understanding through research. Basically, 6TDS, isn't 6 TDS isn't 6 TDS. This number only tells us what the total dissolved solids are. It does NOT tell us WHAT components are in that 6 TDS. Point being some TDS are harder on Resin than others, so there is no way to know. That said, region to region will have different results. In the KW area we have to my understanding some of the hardest water in the WORLD. In Waterloo anyways, I test very little Chlorine in the water, and according to city information we use an incredible about of Chloramine. It for sure tears through Carbon much faster and I've been experimenting with different blocks, and medias. Remember that you can't just look at Gallons produced out of RO when seeing how fast you're going through the blocks. You have to factor waste water at that point. On most units, that means if you get 500G output, you've made 1500G water through that carbon block.

HOWEVER, when you isolate 1 specific home, with someone who has changed multiple resins out and can quantify that both times one resin is not performing the same as the other 3 resins while all else remains constant, there IS an issue. Period.

Personally I don't really care if I'm the only one, or if there are 100's. I care that I'm having issues, and that's what matters.

I appreciate the fact that there is a process. To troubleshoot, and to ensure there are no additional things perhaps me the customer is missing or doing wrong. I exercised those tests, got the results, communicated the results, and the answer back was here, we will send you a free bag. 1 free bag to replace 4. I don't even want to go and use the other 2 as I can't see the point. If it was a bad batch those 2 will equally be affected. My only other variable I could think to mention is any resin I've gotten elsewhere, it's been vac sealed with no air in it. The bags from RS are not sent like this. At least mine were not. I'm reaching now, but I'm looking for any explanation and offer that as literally a last consideration.

Nighthawk26

T
Just a thought for those having problems with longevity of their DI resign, have you checked that your carbon hasn't been bunged up due to high iron levels in the input water? Iron will create a gelatin over the carbon block forcing water to bypass the carbon and allowing chlorine and chloramine to enter the membrane if you use GAC instead of carbon block, it will still have gelatin issues but not nearly as fast since with GAC there is a ton of surface area and not just a block. This is damaging to the membrane and will result in high TDS and early failure of DI resign.

I've tested water out of Carbon, and out or membrane, and numbers aren't that far off, but to your point, I've read similar and my next carbon experiment will be with GAC specific for Chloramine removal. My other added thought for all people, especially when they comment about color changing inconsistently, is channeling, and making sure you are packing it TIGHT TIGHT.

Nighthawk26

Pe
Also I run dual DI. I figure I get between 400 & 500 gallons between changes. ( meter starts showing 1-3ppm ).
Is this good or bad?

Personally, I run dual DI as well. I wait till the second shows 1tds, then pull both, trash the first, move the 2nd to the first, and use new resin in the second. When that reaches 1, I repeat. Basically the second is adding polish and squeezing a little more use out of the 1 rather than trashing it as soon as it hit's 1tds. Trust that makes sense.

zoomster

Pe

Personally, I run dual DI as well. I wait till the second shows 1tds, then pull both, trash the first, move the 2nd to the first, and use new resin in the second. When that reaches 1, I repeat. Basically the second is adding polish and squeezing a little more use out of the 1 rather than trashing it as soon as it hit's 1tds. Trust that makes sense.
makes absolute sense as you are correct about the second chamber polishing the first, there is still a lot of life left in the second one!
and... I do the same thing, back rotate my resin and replace #2 with new.

zoomster

I do hope you and the vendor can come to an amicable resolution.
There are so many great people and vendors on this site that it is sad to see any disagreements among us.

benzzzz

Just received new DI from Reef supplies. Changed out cartridge this morning. Going to monitor.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

shamous113

T

I've tested water out of Carbon, and out or membrane, and numbers aren't that far off, but to your point, I've read similar and my next carbon experiment will be with GAC specific for Chloramine removal. My other added thought for all people, especially when they comment about color changing inconsistently, is channeling, and making sure you are packing it TIGHT TIGHT.

From what I've been reading Chloramines require a special type of granular carbon called Catalytic Carbon to totally remove it.

Nighthawk26

I agree with Ray ( @Reef Supplies ) some people don't know how to treat the rodi units properly. I have each stage of my rodi on a multi point meter ( water in, then after mechanical filters, membrane and finished product out of DI ). I also do frequent cross checks with a TDS pen so I know EXACTLY where and when things are going wrong and/or becoming exuasted. That way I if my DI seems to have a shorter lifespan, I can check if maybe my membrane is what actually needs replacing ect.
It sounds to me like they are trying to resolve the issue and maybe there actually is one.
If so, suppliers need us to work with them so that THEY can fix the issues on their end.

How many opportunities do you give?
From what I've been reading Chloramines require a special type of granular carbon called Catalytic Carbon to totally remove it.

This is exactly what I have ready to go.

Amaroq

For what its worth I've used the Reef Supplies DI resin in the past and while I didn't notice it burn through exceptionally quickly I did notice it wasn't colour changing and had the colour of spent DI despite being new in bag. On closer inspection I noticed both 1lb bags had a couple small holes here and there likely just from wear and tear so I assume the air seeped in a spoiled the bags. It never bothered me enough to contact RS and file a complaint though. I personally didn't really have too much of an issue with it as my TDS before DI comes out at 002 after I bleed the system a little to prevent TDS creep. I'm curious if that is whats happening here and people are simply getting TDS creep and its eating a large chunk of their DI before its being used properly.

You need to install a T and two ball valves, this way you can prevent water from running straight to your DI chambers immediately and let it run for about 5-10 minutes and then switch it over. If you have a TDS meter between your DI and your Membrane you can see what the TDS is before opening the ball valve for the DI chambers. I currently get a TDS of about 400 pre membrane (after sediment and two carbon blocks), 2 TDS after membrane, and then I assume 0 after DI as I don't test after DI because I always use colour changing and swap the second canister into the first canisters position when spent. When the RO unit is first running though I'll get a TDS creep of as high as 200 TDS sometimes for the first 5 minutes, and that happens regardless of how long I run my manual membrane flush after each use of the unit. I should also note I use the smallest micron carbon blocks and sediment blocks I can find and have been using the same carbon blocks and sediment filter for over a year now with no need to replace IMO. I also run BRS unit to note.

benzzzz

I use a Chloramine filter from Lowes. Think I pay$40 for one.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Reef Supplies

errrrrr, why do we continue to argue? No one has yet to email me what I ask but yet you have time to keep replying here. The sooner you email me the sooner we can resolve this, IF there is something to resolve.

So....

AS STATED I'm not ruling out a "bad batch" as it can happen. I will repeat yet again, we need YOUR help to try and solve this issue IF there is indeed an issue.

I need you to email me personally, my email is rayATreefsupplies.ca

Email me the following:

- Purchase date or invoice ID
- Sediment / carbon age
- membrane age and type

And how many gallons approx. have you made with the DI until you saw a TDS of 1

Once we have this info we may be able to pinpoint IF there was a batch issue. We will email every single client who bought 1 month prior and 1 month past your purchase date.

Thanks,
Ray