Di Resin From Reef Supplies Canada

Nighthawk26

TDS meters cannot detect CO2, as it is an unseen contaminate only measured by chemical or pH tests. Its effect on downstream DI resin cartridges in RO/DI systems is two-fold; a decrease in the lifetime of the DI resin and a decrease in the purity of the DI water. High levels of CO2 from low-pH feed water can greatly decrease DI capacity and can result in DI water with high levels of silica and phosphates.

SpectraPure’s CO2 Test Kit can measure this capacity-robbing contaminate. Not all water sources have high levels of CO2, but any CO2 in the water will reduce the capacity of the DI resins, so testing is essential to recognize the need for pretreatment to remove this hidden contaminate.

Testing your feed water (tap water) is error-prone and often futile, as there are many elements in feed water that can affect the accuracy of the CO2 test results. Use the CO2 Test Kit to sample your RO water (pre-DI) and compare it to the post-DI reading. This is an excellent indicator of both CO2 presence and the capacity of the DI cartridge to remove it. CO2 in the post-DI water signifies the probable presence of silica and phosphates, as well.

Quartapound

okay guys... I'm confused.

here's a picture of the DI cartridge I've been running for the past few months. (with the DI resin I got from Reef Supplies). Last I checked, it was 1-2ppm after the DI stage, I planned on changing it soon.
ten6N0r.jpg

Here's a picture of the cheap TDS pen on the water AFTER the DI stage (it reads 121ppm, it was reading as high as 220ppm earlier)
VoSaArV.jpg

Here's a picture of my cheap TDS pen on the water BEFORE my DI stage (this is where I grab my drinking water from)
uIIrK9j.jpg

...13ppm (before the DI stage)!! my DI resin is actually ADDING 100-200ppm of something.
so... WTF is going on? the colour changing resin doesn't even look half spent!... I'll be replacing it immediately (I already have some from a Big Reef Depot order awhile back)... tempted to buy some of the real good stuff from @Nighthawk26 as well.

I had actually assumed my RO membrane finally went... I never tested my drinking water outlet at the time, so I removed the RO membrane,and ordered another one from Amazon... I broke a fitting on my RO membrane cartridge in the process, got that fixed (found the part at Lowes!) ... after fixing my cartridge I reinstalled my old membrane to make sure there wasn't any leaks with the new fitting, and decided to test my water one last time, found the cartridge still seems to be doing fine, it was the friggin DI resin.

Really not pleased... don't think I can trust the resin from Reef Supplies anymore?...

Nighthawk26

Bingo. Add yourself to the list. Did you get the email from Ray apparently doing some research into others with problems? Not a word from them since. Your experience is exactly mine except you have clearly continued to make much more water. I hot 1 tds and it had not changed colour even in the slightest so I am not surprised.

13 going in is still high. Make sure you are changing sediment and carbon blocks appropriately. Resin will be depleted by x times however many ppm it enters at. Ie. 5ppm is going to use resin 5x faster, 10 will be 10 times faster. So imagine if you want 2000g out, well with 10ppm you are going to be closer to 200. More to it than that but generally speaking.

There are only 4 or 5 left of that resin if you want any. Next batch if I do it again will be 18 bucks at least.

Also, color changing uses up much faster. Invest in an in line meter.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Nighthawk26

Also, now that I'm looking at this on my laptop, why is the resin changed colour at the top and not the bottom? Also catching a comment, if you have a 5 stage BRS unit, what are your inline meters reading?

Quartapound

Also, now that I'm looking at this on my laptop, why is the resin changed colour at the top and not the bottom? Also catching a comment, if you have a 5 stage BRS unit, what are your inline meters reading?

I don't have the inline meter (it was an option) just using the pen tester for now... I plan on upgrading to a dual in line eventually, I like the pen tester though because I can measure incoming, outgoing, and between the RO and DI... which you can't do easily with the in-line I'd imagine?

I have no idea why it changed colour at the top and not the bottom... I have it hooked up correctly (IN from RO and OUT to my top off bucket), and the cartridge arrow pointing up towards the cap (visible in the picture)...

After replacing the resin with the stuff from Big Reef Depot, my TDS is back down to 0ppm.

I was under the impression that the ppm coming out of the RO membrane is a factor of what went in... if the cartridge has an advertised 98% rejection rate, and my incoming is somewhere around 430ppm, outgoing at 13ppm (before DI) would mean it's removing 97% ... which is pretty damn close to the advertised rating... (I'll be replacing my membrane in a few days anyway when the new one shows up)

...so I'm not sure how much lower I can get than 13ppm, it'll be interesting to see what the new membrane does.

I also just recently replaced the sediment and carbon block with the Pentek ChlorPlus a few weeks ago...

I'll let you know ASAP if I decide I want that resin from you... I probably should, I know.

Last edited:

Nighthawk26

Assuming your BRS unit uses the same membranes as they do today, they are the DOW, and are 99% rejection rate. The ChlorPlus Carbon block will help for sure as I have come to find the Chloramines in our water will eat through much much faster. I have a few left of those at $22 bucks. I have not checked my incoming, but I get between 3 and 5 or so out of the RO. I am going to add a 2 stage inline. To your point, a 3 line can monitor whatever you want it to. You could have it do incoming, after RO then after DI. BRS 6 stage comes with a 3 inline, but they have it set up for After RO then after 1st, and after 2nd DI. I will add a 2 inline to be able to check incoming, and then after carbon blocks. So the only thing I can't really monitor is between the 1st and 2nd carbon block because they are hard fitted together.

Honestly, if I understood all this when I started out a year ago, and had the experience I have now, I would build the RODI from scratch myself as you can buy every part individually. Can customize it however you like.

Let me know if you want inline meters. I am getting a price from my plumbing friend that I got all the resin and blocks through this week for myself.

Also, what membrane and size is it? I ordered a bunch from BRD when he was closing as did my friend, and he didn't realize he can't user them on his vertex, so I can buy them back from him for you if you want. Was like 28 bucks plus tax for the DOW 75GPS. WAY cheaper than anywhere else.

Quartapound

Assuming your BRS unit uses the same membranes as they do today, they are the DOW, and are 99% rejection rate. The ChlorPlus Carbon block will help for sure as I have come to find the Chloramines in our water will eat through much much faster. I have a few left of those at $22 bucks. I have not checked my incoming, but I get between 3 and 5 or so out of the RO. I am going to add a 2 stage inline. To your point, a 3 line can monitor whatever you want it to. You could have it do incoming, after RO then after DI. BRS 6 stage comes with a 3 inline, but they have it set up for After RO then after 1st, and after 2nd DI. I will add a 2 inline to be able to check incoming, and then after carbon blocks. So the only thing I can't really monitor is between the 1st and 2nd carbon block because they are hard fitted together.

Honestly, if I understood all this when I started out a year ago, and had the experience I have now, I would build the RODI from scratch myself as you can buy every part individually. Can customize it however you like.

Let me know if you want inline meters. I am getting a price from my plumbing friend that I got all the resin and blocks through this week for myself.

Also, what membrane and size is it? I ordered a bunch from BRD when he was closing as did my friend, and he didn't realize he can't user them on his vertex, so I can buy them back from him for you if you want. Was like 28 bucks plus tax for the DOW 75GPS. WAY cheaper than anywhere else.

I'm not sure about spending the money for the inline meters just yet ( I bet the 3 inline is pricey!) even the 2 inline I'd imagine would be more than I would like to spend at the moment, my pen tester cost 8 bucks I think lol... I would like to upgrade at some point if I can, though it's probably not a priority for me right now.

the DOW membrane I have (the old one.... TW30-1812-75) has 98% rejection rate... but could be as low as 96% http://www.lenntech.com/Data-sheets/Dow-Filmtec-TW30-1812-75.pdf

they replaced that model with the new DOW BW60-1812-75 which is 99%, but could still be as low at 97% http://www.dow.com/webapps/include/GetDoc.aspx?filepath=liquidseps/pdfs/noreg/609-50165.pdf

...If I'm reading things correctly.

I've found the Pentek Chlorplus blocks on Amazon Prime(I have membership) for $22, they also have Pentek 1micron sediment filters for $1.80 as well... I like ordering from amazon prime whenever I can to justify my membership fee lol, free shipping and usually here in a day or two is always nice.

I would definitely be interested in a DOW 75 if it's unused and still dry (I assume it's the BW60-1812-75?) for 28+tax if you can do that for me, that would be great... I just cancelled my amazon order for the RO membrane as it was more than that, it was only the 50gpd model, it was the only one available through amazon prime... and now I realize my old membrane isn't the cause of my insanely high ppm (probably could/should be replaced anyway though!)

If I'm coming your way for the RO membrane I might as well grab a DI resin pack from you as well, could you set one aside for me? Let me know when you can get the DOW 75 back in your hands again!

Thanks a bunch!

Nighthawk26

I have 4 here so you can take one of them and I will get my friend to get his he can't use back to me when I See him again. I will out a resin aside for you. Let me know when you wanna pop by.

The 22 blocks from amazon prime is where I set the carbon block pricing at. 22 bucks tax in. Call it 32 all in for the membrane.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk