Great day goes to worst day

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Came home to find one dog tangled in the other dog's collar, one strangled, and the other one badly hurt in the mouth.  Must have happened just when I left for work this morning, found them at 3.  THANK GOD my daughter didn't walk in on that scene.

I will stress to everyone don't use the martingale type collars, the ones with the half chain loop (supposedly safer for the dog because it only tightens up so far).  The smaller dog got her lower jaw under the collar and somehow must have twisted.... trapped her there for 4 or 5 hours  :(

I'll never use anything but a breakaway collar again except when walking.  To think this was recommended by someone who was all offended that I usually use the metal correction collar on walks.  "this is sooooo much better for the dog and you can leave them on".  You know?  I wish people would just mind their own goddamn business. 

Sorry, I'm probably a little out of sorts.  He was just over a year old, and they said 120lbs.  I -never- would have thought anything could hurt that beast :(

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
A sad day in your house in deed. I know these collars, for those who do not CLICK. We used one when we were caring for my mother-in-laws husky. She managed to get her own jaw stuck in it. We quickly switched to a regular collar around the house and the martingale for walks only. We use one still with our black lab, but again only for walking and it is a great training collar.

So sorry about the loss this time of year.

Child-Condolences-Card-Free-Clip-Art-Geographics-3.png

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Torx link said:
A sad day in your house in deed. I know these collars, for those who do not CLICK. We used one when we were caring for my mother-in-laws husky. She managed to get her own jaw stuck in it. We quickly switched to a regular collar around the house and the martingale for walks only. We use one still with our black lab, but again only for walking and it is a great training collar.

So sorry about the loss this time of year.

Child-Condolences-Card-Free-Clip-Art-Geographics-3.png

Thanks, yeah I used to use a tighter wide collar, and then swap out for walks with the correction collar (a 120lb dog and a 50 lb dog both trying to get a rabbit is tough even for Schwarzenegger).  In fact, I was more a fan of them, because every so often the puppy can get her collar off (with the large plastic fasteners), and these seemed awesome.  I even knew that the puppy liked to hold onto that collar, I just figured that was better than her holding onto his neck.  Never thought anything of it. 

I guess I was a bit incomprehensible when I called the vet.  They said I said "my one dog killed my other dog, so I need to bring them both in".  I was worried about the puppy and she just kept asking if she was violent, if there was a lot of trauma to the other dog, etc etc.  She thought I had brought in the puppy to be put down for being violent.  So that was not fun either. 

Amazing "how far gone" the bigger dog already was, rigor, unbelievable smell, the whole deal.  It must have been pure hell for the puppy.  Ugh.  Now the guilt starts :(

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
I am so sorry to read that Glen.  Must have been just awful to come home to that, I can't imagine.

My condolences to you and your family.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
BIGSHOW link said:
I am so sorry to read that Glen.  Must have been just awful to come home to that, I can't imagine.

I can think of worse things, but not many.  Thanks everyone.  It took me months to get over the last one, I know it sounds cold but I hope this one is a little easier....

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
wow thats awful glen, i know how much you liked those dogs and where proud of them, terrible way to lose one of your friends.
:(

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Truly a sad day, I love dogs, I use the same collar pictured above for my dog too.. He's never had an issue but now your making me question it.

Sorry for your loss man.

jroovers

Super Active Member
That is beyond horrible, sorry to hear this, I would have never thought such a thing could even happen.

theyangman

Distinguished Member
My condolences Glen.

Our furry family members are always difficult to lose. Take solace knowing that he is running free now man in the biggest yard up in the sky with all the other dogs ('cause all dogs go to heaven). You'll see him again one day. All the best and speedy recovery to the baby girl that is still with you guys too.

It's funny how sometimes we find our pets naggy or a nuisance, but when someone loses a pet, we realize just how much our pets mean to us. I think I'll be giving my girl some extra belly scratches and a longer walk than normal tonight.

Once again, my deepest sympathies to you and your family Glen.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Duke link said:
Truly a sad day, I love dogs, I use the same collar pictured above for my dog too.. He's never had an issue but now your making me question it.

Sorry for your loss man.

Evidently they are a higher risk of strangulation because they are loose, but can tighten, and there is no breakaway.  Evidently lots of things like this happen at dog parks of all places.  So use them, just don't leave them on when not on the lead. I'll be going back to a spiked-correction collar if needed, because I would never leave it on once the walk was done and the dog wanted to lie down.  realy beating myself up over it obviously now, I can say without question it can happen

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
sorry to hear this. ...we have that camera that i have trained on the fish tank. ..it has tilt and pan.  i can pan  down to the sump and around a circle. to look and see what our pup is doin. from my ipad .. 

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Petercar link said:
sorry to hear this. ...we have that camera that i have trained on the fish tank. ..it has tilt and pan.  i can pan  down to the sump and around a circle. to look and see what our pup is doin. from my ipad .. 

I have to say thank god I didn't have to watch what happened and be too far away to be able to do anything about it.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=Petercar link=topic=7066.msg71642#msg71642 date=1386203189]

I have to say thank god I didn't have to watch what happened and be too far away to be able to do anything about it.
[/quote]could yu not have called sumone to go untangle them if yu saw sumthing wrong on the iphone?