Great day goes to worst day

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
She had named him Jax, seems not too bad a name so we'll just stick with it.  He's busy howling up a storm in the bar, guess he isn't used to sleeping without the owner, but he'll get used to it. He does seem to like me, maybe he is happy to have an alpha in charge, as she obviously really didn't do any kind of discipline (and I think she left that correction collar on 24/7 it's in all the photos and it was on him when I picked him up).  Maybe he likes me so much because I took the think off him. 

I hope this is the last adjustment phase I have to go through for a while.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
aww cute puppy howls all nite... at tleast you dont have to get up and feed it every couple hours like a child :)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Yeah, today was interesting.  The last owner obviously didn't do any useful training.  This dog was already turning alpha.  Jumping up, nipping, growling, mouthing, and fighting submission.  It was a stressful day for both of us, as it's an unknown dog, so I wasn't sure if I was going to get a face full of gnashing teeth.  However, it looks like he understands that I'm the alpha.  We'll see if he pushes the issue tomorrow.  He growled and bit at me when I took his food away, and that led to quite the confrontation, but eff you dog, I give food, I can take it away, you had better learn.  I now have him going on his back after every disagreement, so I think we're good. 

That said I think he's going to be a really awesome dog.  Not dumb, that's for sure.  The little one seems totally depressed so I'll have to keep an eye on her, she goes in to get fixed on the 30th, can't risk a pile of puppies running around. 

curiousphil

Super Active Member
You're kind of a short dude (no offense whatsoever), if the dog gets out of control jumping, is it big enough that it could overpower you? (ie knock you over?)  Shepards can get quite large, I know I have issues with our sometimes if I am trying to get her to go where she does not want to.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
5'9 makes me a monster in Mexico and the phillipines, you bastard.

That said, I work out, I keep my strength up and I work with these dogs so that they understand that any kind of aggression towards me will be dealt swift correction.  He just bit my finger for pulling his food away and he -hopefully- learned that it is not acceptable behaviour.  So he goes without breakfast for that, and was put on his back by his throat for a few minutes with very angry sounds coming out of me. ("happy voice...angry voice...you want happy voice yes?") and I'll keep it up as long as it takes.  He'll be an angry hungry dog until he clues in.  I figure it's best to do it now when he's ~60lbs instead of when he's 100lb+.  He'll be fine, he just doesn't understand his place yet.  I probably should wear gloves doing this, but then he may just get in his head it's not okay to bite gloves, and this has to be a flesh thing.  Ouch. 

Dogs just want to know their position in the pack, this one doesn't get that I'm the one that gets the food for them.  A dog, no matter how big, won't go against the alpha as long as he's fed, warm, happy etc. Also things like tug-of-war are important (that you never lose!).  When he's strong enough to beat me at that, I'll win once and never do it again.  :)

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Hahahah " I work out"
pyvabyvy.jpg

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
theyangman link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=7066.msg73629#msg73629 date=1387303599]
by like a month or so.  Crafty messican. 

Heh, \"asian beef\".  that was funny. 

Let's have lunch again bro. I'm hungry.
[/quote]

you guys go on dates now????

theyangman

Distinguished Member
Poseidon link said:
[quote author=theyangman link=topic=7066.msg73631#msg73631 date=1387304102]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Maybe. You jealous?

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
The waitress came up and said "the special today is asian beef".  So I asked her "is it just regular beef but you're trying to make a sale?"  or something like that.  It was funny.

My lunch date docket is pretty full probably until after xmas.  I haven't even done shopping yet.

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Poseidon link said:
[quote author=theyangman link=topic=7066.msg73631#msg73631 date=1387304102]

[/quote]

[/quote]you don't? I thought glen was the lunch whore on the forum.