Great day goes to worst day

BigReefer

Super Active Member
So sorry to hear about this...  I ran into issues using this collar on my boxer, I ended up getting rid of it after a week.

Wishing you well
Darryl

curiousphil

Super Active Member
So sorry to hear about this Glen :(.  Losing pets is so hard.  I had an experience like this a few years back, at my exes parents' house.  They had two dogs and this exact thing happened to them.  Thankfully we were all home when it happened, but it still took about an hour to get the dogs loose from each other and they were both very very distressed, we thought we were going to lose the one who started making a mess all over herself as she flailed.  These types collars are quite dangerous.  We ultimately got them loose by managing to get scissors under the collar to cut it.

If you need a special collar to help control your dog, I might recommend the Halti collar.  Have always used it with my own labs, and it's awkward enough that you definitely won't leave it on after returning from a walk.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Oh Glen I am so sorry to hear this, how heartbreaking for you and your family. I hope your female recovers from the trauma and injuries, I'm at a loss for words. I know how it hurts to lose a pet and this scenario makes it that much worse. Take care of yourself man

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
curiousphil link said:
So sorry to hear about this Glen :(.  Losing pets is so hard.  I had an experience like this a few years back, at my exes parents' house.  They had two dogs and this exact thing happened to them.  Thankfully we were all home when it happened, but it still took about an hour to get the dogs loose from each other and they were both very very distressed, we thought we were going to lose the one who started making a mess all over herself as she flailed.  These types collars are quite dangerous.  We ultimately got them loose by managing to get scissors under the collar to cut it.

If you need a special collar to help control your dog, I might recommend the Halti collar.  Have always used it with my own labs, and it's awkward enough that you definitely won't leave it on after returning from a walk.

Yeah I got them apart by using tin snips on the collar (scissors were too sharp with the little one bashing about).

I tried the halti and the gentle leader and one other one with my previous shepherd, and none of them deterred her, I finally ended up getting a police K9 trainer over and he straight up put her in the spiked collar, and she -loved- that thing (because I never left it on and it always meant a WALK).  I'll go back to that if this one really starts to pull on the lead, and when she's bigger.  From now on though, I think I'll just de-collar when then come in the door.  Her mouth is a bit better (still looks ghastly), but she's messed up, slinking around on her belly and looking scared at everything. 

AdamS

It pains me when bad things happen to good people. I may have shed a tear or two when I read this, I wish I didn't know what it was like to lose a friend. Your determination in finding the best solution to the collar problem is evidence enough for me that this is in no way your fault. Better times ahead!

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I took the puppy into the place I bought the collar, not to give them shit, but to show the people there firsthand what had happened while the puppy still looked all gashed up.  It was sort of funny, one woman came up and went "oooh nice puppy" and then pulled her hand back when she saw the gooey mess of the jaw.  We had quite the audience in there today, 6 people and 2 other dogs. 

I just said that he should tell people to be sure to take off the matingale collars after a walk.  I still think they're good collars, but not on 24/7.  I may go back to my old standby....the wide thick leather collar.  They don't give but they would be buggardly tough to twist. 

harleymike

Super Active Member
Salty
Contact the store manager. Tell him your story. Also contact the manufacturer and tell them the story.
Maybe they can put a warning out on the collar, and secondly, you are entitled too compensation.
I had issues with a feeder for one of my horses. The horse almost died.
I ended up getting paid for my time and price of horse. Even though it lived. But more importantly, the feeder was re-designed.
Good luck

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
harleymike link said:
Salty
Contact the store manager. Tell him your story. Also contact the manufacturer and tell them the story.
Maybe they can put a warning out on the collar, and secondly, you are entitled too compensation.
I had issues with a feeder for one of my horses. The horse almost died.
I ended up getting paid for my time and price of horse. Even though it lived. But more importantly, the feeder was re-designed.
Good luck

true, you loved that dog and its something that should easily be avoided...

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
i've used the same collar shown above for 6 years and havent once removed it from my Malamute, it has his tags on it and everything.. today i took it off, ill only be using it for walks now i guess. better to be safe than sorry.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Duke link said:
i've used the same collar shown above for 6 years and havent once removed it from my Malamute, it has his tags on it and everything.. today i took it off, ill only be using it for walks now i guess. better to be safe than sorry.

Yeah mine had the tags on, and if I had to think back I was a bit lazy about removing it sometimes.  I really thought it was a good collar.  In a million years I wouldn't have imagined that a 50lb dog could twist it so bad that it would kill a 120lb muscle machine.  It never would have occured to me.

The collars do have warnings about not leaving them on.  It's a 'known issue' with these collars, as I think I said I found reference to it happening at dog parks, and on dogs trying to jump a fence etc.  They just freak out when they're caught on something. 

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Well hopefully the sellers of this collar or even the company make people more aware of just how serious that warning is....
They should be telling pet owners that the collar needs to be removed immediately and never in any circumstance left on because it has caused injury and death in many reported incidents. I would consider it to be more of a danger than a warning....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Reef Hero link said:
Well hopefully the sellers of this collar or even the company make people more aware of just how serious that warning is....
They should be telling pet owners that the collar needs to be removed immediately and never in any circumstance left on because it has caused injury and death in many reported incidents. I would consider it to be more of a danger than a warning....

Yeah they won't do that.  Kind of bad sales pitch to say "this item may very well kill your pet".  There is no warning whatsover on them, but again, the only thing at risk is an animal, and animals don't go to court.  If this was a people collar it would have warnings galore. 

My breeder put out the word to her whole network, which involves other breeders and many other shepherd owners, there was a lot of "sharing of the warning on facebook.  I like to think I would take notice if say a brother of Gunther died due to a collar like the one I had on him.  So anything I can do to help other dog owners, it makes me feel a bit better.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=Reef Hero link=topic=7066.msg71904#msg71904 date=1386364897]

Yeah they won't do that.  Kind of bad sales pitch to say "this item may very well kill your pet".  There is no warning whatsover on them, but again, the only thing at risk is an animal, and animals don't go to court.  If this was a people collar it would have warnings galore.
[/quote]

Seems like a case for Pat Foran.
I know that they would be getting more than an earfull from me that is for sure.....and my wife, well I might feel sorry for them after she got done with them.
To many of us they are more than just animals so they definitely would not want to pull that card with me..... I mean could you imagine if perhaps this dog was a service dog for your child and it got strangled to death by a poorly made collar that is known to do this....that "animal" is is a "best friend" to your child who needed him greatly....Idk but it just wouldn't sit well with me at all.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Reef Hero link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=7066.msg71911#msg71911 date=1386365977]

[/quote]

I know that they would be getting more than an earfull from me that is for sure.....and my wife, well I might feel sorry for them after she got done with them.
To many of us they are more than just animals so they definitely would not want to pull that card with me..... I mean could you imagine if perhaps this dog was a service dog for your child and it got strangled to death by a poorly made collar that is known to do this....that "animal" is is a "best friend" to your child who needed him greatly....Idk but it just wouldn't sit well with me at all.

[/quote]

some animals are worth more than some human beings IMO

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Poseidon link said:
[quote author=Reef Hero link=topic=7066.msg71914#msg71914 date=1386366309]
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=7066.msg71911#msg71911 date=1386365977]

[/quote]

[/quote]

some animals are worth more than some human beings IMO
[/quote]

Lol. A certain pearl jam song comes to mind.....

B

branw

I am so sad to hear about your dog :( A similar thing happened to me last year, ( I was home and thank god the kids were at school) I have a 12 year old yellow lab retriever and a silver lab that was about 8 months old. They were playing in the back yard in the snow and I was scooping and all of a sudden this yelping. They were trying to break apart and I saw the puppies collar was twisted in the older ones mouth and they kept struggling to get apart so I held them both down because I was at first concerned about he older dogs canines and then i realized that it was twisted so tight and was strangling her. Some how after I struggled I was finally able to get enough slack cause the puppy was starting to black out and I got them loose….scariest day ever and luckily a happy ending. I will not let them play with collars on.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
....and just like that I have a new 'puppy'.

A woman was diagnosed with MS and found she couldn't care for a half-brother of my dog....long convoluted story short I have a new dog, and he's a handful.  He's supposedly obedience trained but trained for what I have no idea.  He's huge too.  6 months old and he's bigger than my 8 month old female, but he's petrified of her.  So that's something to get over.  I'll just keep them separated and keep walking them as a 'pack' until they get along.  She just wants to play, but maybe he knows her play can be lethal.