Ian's Im Sr60 Family Tank Build ( Formerly Known As The Peninsula In Wall Build Lol)

reefdiver

Website Affiliate
Website
www.sustainablemarinecanada.ca
Is that on the sand bed? 16 inch depth? How low does it drop if you cut the t5s for curiosities sake?

No it’s a range at 6”-12” below the surface
Mounted 8” off the water

If you cut the T5s I’d changed drastically
You’d get high 100s to low 200s in very select areas. It then drops off dramatically towards the edges
This gives you a much more even coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reefdiver

Website Affiliate
Website
7c249973ea8b3fe761564c7384b51cce.jpg

4fded486ff0c90a4e0d061d25a716106.jpg

Kid free this weekend so installing the last couple pieces of the

Autoaqua AWC unit and my Vertex Libra Doser :)

reefdiver

Website Affiliate
Website
Installed one of these on my family tank at the house. Pretty pleased with it so far. Easy to use and so far doing a good job. Water changes at home sometimes don’t happen as often as they should. This little item will fix that. #sustainablemarinecanada #lfstores #saltwateraquarium
526e2e059d73d2bd8cda606c84705fbf.jpg

Tonight I start the Doser up. Running the Triton Core7.
No skimmer, I have created fuge compartments in the back section. Controlling my nutrients with water changes and a fuge is the goal

reefdiver

Website Affiliate
Website
Vertex Libra Doser calibrated and programmed.

Triton Core7 mixed and in place

AWC and ATO working.

Now to start daily testing and tweaking to get parameters in line. :)

How my life has changed lol
Years ago I’d have been DJing clubs in Grand Bend this weekend, now this is my excitement lol mixed with feeding bottles to toddlers who won’t sleep lol

reefdiver

Website Affiliate
Website
So I did my initial tests today to get things in line. Will take a few days. Used NYOS test kits. Going to double check with my idip.

Phosphate 0.075
Nitrate. 5
Alk. 6
Calcium. 400
Mag. 1350

About what I expected day 1.

What I am pleased about it the refugium it’s working well. I tested right after Niagara coral show. Nitrates were 30. Put the cheato in and lights on. For the test. No water changes.
Mid April. Nitrates down to 13.
Now they are at 5.

(Just turned on the AWC 2 days ago. It’s doing daily changes of about .5 gal which will equate to 10% of water volume a week.)

This in conjunction with the auto water changes looks like it will be effective nutrient export in the all in one tank.
I still have room to expand the refugium too if needed.
No skimmer on this system.

System thus far:
Innovative Marine SR60 all in one
2 AI prime HDs
Aquatic life hybrid t5 fixture
Maxspect gyre ( May change our to Nero 5s)
Autoaqua AWC / ATO unit
Vertex Libra doser
2 Innovative Marine cheato max led lights

Will be adding a carbon reactor

reefdiver

Website Affiliate
Website
So, good lesson.
When test results don’t make sense, retest. It could be a test kit issue, it could be user error.

The Alk didn’t make sense to me since there is next to no coral in the tank right now.

After retesting a few times with my iDip to confirm, my suspicions were correct. There was an error somewhere with my home kits.
Alk is actually 7.9
Calcium is 390
Mag is 1059
Nitrate 8
Po4 is .4

Remember hobby grade test kits aren’t built for extreme accuracy. It just gets you in a range. If something seems wrong. Check it out before you go throwing all kinds of things at a tank.

Case in point, had a customer who was fighting phosphate. Swears it was coming back at 140 for months. People were telling her all kinds of things she had to do. No algae, regular large water changes were being done.
They brought water in and we tested it.
Was 13
When testing defies logic. Check the test, your methodology etc
( stay away from API test kits imo)

Other issue I have is my home refractometer must need calibration as my salinity came back low.

I’m sharing all this because my home tank hasn’t had the care the shop tanks have due to a busy lifestyle. Now that I’m getting to it, these are the things to keep an eye on in your own tanks. The salinity being off is likely skewing my test results as well

Winks

Website Affiliate
I've been using the iDip for about 2 1/2 years now. Once you get by the methods of testing ( in my case user error) then it has never failed me. I've tested it against known calibration fluids, other testing kits and gut feeling. It has always been there for me.

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
With the NYOS alk kit I did notice that when the solution went orange after a certain number of drops it isn't actually fully orange yet, if held up to bright light and add another drop you will see green form back in the solution, then shake and disappears it may even take one more drop for no more green swirls to appear, that's when I call the number when no more green appears

Tim A

I've been using the iDip for about 2 1/2 years now. Once you get by the methods of testing ( in my case user error) then it has never failed me. I've tested it against known calibration fluids, other testing kits and gut feeling. It has always been there for me.
For Mg. What test are you doing? THU-UH or -UHII

reefdiver

Website Affiliate
Website
With the NYOS alk kit I did notice that when the solution went orange after a certain number of drops it isn't actually fully orange yet, if held up to bright light and add another drop you will see green form back in the solution, then shake and disappears it may even take one more drop for no more green swirls to appear, that's when I call the number when no more green appears

I noticed that too. That’s why I say, gotta take test kits with a grain of salt