Kevin's 200g Mix Reef

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Fantastic, I'm sure you'll have it all under control. Just trying to pickup some knowledge from the master.

Kman

Super Active Member
What I recommend when switching from MH, T5 or just trading in for new LED is set your final levels for color and UV. Then adjust the intensity slowly weekly by 3% to 5% or so. Watch for signs of distress in sps or LPS like bleaching or lightning up in color. If you have soft coral watch for shriveling up or burn spots. For the first week start at 40% to 50% intensity and see what happens. Depending on the lighting you are coming from and your experience level you might be able to go as high as 60% intensity. If you are new stick to the lower intensity till you build experience with led.

Figure out your hot spots under your lights and watch these spots the most for any negative changes. Always check the tank a few times a day for any distress. If you see any quick lightning of color in your corals it is normally because it is to high of an intensity. If it is slowly over the weeks it is normally to low a level. Be very careful of your tank maintenance during this time. A quick change in water clarity from a water change or a media change like carbon can and will push the corals past the breaking point if your setting are close to the maximum light saturation tolerance of the coral.

In other words quick and led = dead and dying corals VS slow and LED = happy colorful corals that grow. Nothing with LED should be changed fast. If you stick to this rule you will have corals that can adjust vs not adjust to LED.

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
So far I haven't been able to connect it to the Reef link and play with the color yet. I just plug and run it low until I can figure out how to connect everything together. Meanwhile here is a pic of the two unit over my 60x30x24)tank on low. There are some dark spots so definitely need a third unit, I want to sell some more corals so if you lookinnnn....;) let me know lol
IMG_20151004_213942_edit.jpg

Definitely love to see the shimmer back in the tank!

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Looking sweet man. Let me know when you ready for that third ;) and maybe some hanging units :)

I hooked that homemade blue led bar tonight on my tank, and I want more blue led now :)

Going to have to build something to attach to sides of t5 fixture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
Your tank is absolutely stunning Kevin!!!!, just wondering...is that my frag pack in the front:):):)either or my hats off to you good sir, very nice tank to sit and stare at :p

Kman

Super Active Member
The shimmer from LED and MH is the best. It actually amplifies light by up to 300% inside the shimmer and punches light deeper into coral tissue. The shimmer helps in pigmant production so your corals color up as well as calcification rates go up.

Your tank is going to love those LED. You tank is looking good.

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
Looks sweet!

I've got your frags under Cree LEDs and they're lovin' it! The colors in your tank are going to be crazy! :cool:
Thank Rob, glad to hear the corals are doing great
Looking sweet man. Let me know when you ready for that third ;) and maybe some hanging units :)

I hooked that homemade blue led bar tonight on my tank, and I want more blue led now :)

Going to have to build something to attach to sides of t5 fixture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have seen some tank with t5 along with two reefbrite bar on the side...looking good;)
Your tank is absolutely stunning Kevin!!!!, just wondering...is that my frag pack in the front:):):)either or my hats off to you good sir, very nice tank to sit and stare at :p
Thank Sean, your coral are on the frag rack low in front:D
The shimmer from LED and MH is the best. It actually amplifies light by up to 300% inside the shimmer and punches light deeper into coral tissue. The shimmer helps in pigmant production so your corals color up as well as calcification rates go up.

Your tank is going to love those LED. You tank is looking good.
Thank Kevin, it nice to have you around. I definitely will hit you on some pointer about setting ect. On the led

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
As for hanging it, I would like to weld something like this together. Looking for suggestions on what type of metal to use. Something light weight, strong and rush proof. I want something build of my own as I don't like the rail that they have to offer, as it limited to size of how small of a package it can fit in
IMG_20151005_105732_edit.jpg
Just a quick sketch :eek:

Strobe

As for hanging it, I would like to weld something like this together. Looking for suggestions on what type of metal to use. Something light weight, strong and rush proof. I want something build of my own as I don't like the rail that they have to offer, as it limited to size of how small of a package it can fit in
View attachment 4832
Just a quick sketch :eek:

In my opinion you can't beat aluminum extrusion, I painted mine black and it looks very sharp. The brand I purchased is called minitec and got it from a supplier in Cambridge. The nice part is that you don't have to weld and you can always modify it later on. The only downside is that it isn't cheap.

46613d02bc91f0a186d1e0fc0314e889.jpg

Last edited:

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Mr. Tran does not have to worry about money! He just bought two of them and is getting a third!

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
In my opinion you can't beat aluminum extrusion, I painted mine black and it looks very sharp. The brand I purchased is called minitec and got it from a supplier in Cambridge. The nice part is that you don't have to weld and you can always modify it later on. The only downside is that it isn't cheap.

46613d02bc91f0a186d1e0fc0314e889.jpg

Hey that look nice, kinda look like it floating in the air. Can you pm me there address and contact, will go and have a look
Mr. Tran does not have to worry about money! He just bought two of them and is getting a third!
Oh god, you will see me posting more stuff up for sale lol. The best part is the wife didn't know how much they cost, she ask me twice and I didn't tell her. I got angry and she let it slide. She must assume it a small unit and the price are small too :D

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
I haven't able to connect the Reef link yet, but I am able to dl the app to my wife I phone and ohhhh my my. Sickening, now I know why how some of this coral look so freaking nice in some pictures. Under uv or royal blue, the corals just look amazing.

I tried to upload a video but I doesn't work lol so you just have to take my word for it;)

Kman

Super Active Member
When you get LED dialed in nothing makes them pop like they do. With all the settings you can choose from it let's you customize your tank quite nicely. Down side they are not as easy to use as T5 or MH as your can't just plug them in and they work. Well worth the learning curve I think. Glad you are liking them.

Are you able to connect to the reef link? Or just have not had the time?