LONDON FRAG FEST 2013 - JUNE 1, 2013

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Re: LONDON FRAG FEST 2013 - OFFICIAL THREAD

ricklalonde link said:
Hey Salty can you stick me beside Dave (Bigshow) table 5 A/B. I probably wont need a full table either. If it comes down to it, I would be more than happy to share.

Done.

I'm really trying to keep the doubling up to a minimum, only because then we could have 36 tanks, lights, heaters and pumps running.  Unless they have a 220 box for band use (with 120 outlets), we may be pushing the limits, who knows.  They didn't have a spec sheet, they just thought 'it should be fine' :)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin

I agree the GFCI boxes are a good call.  Maybe the 'fest could buy 6 of them so that we're covered and everyone is nice and safe, and they can run powerbars from there.  Reefhero can you give me a price and see if I can budget them in?

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin

I also changed the layout of the center tables, I don't think we're going to have any ice sculpture centerpiece, so might as well make them vendor tables.  If anyone wants to switch let me know.  It's actually filling up fast and we haven't heard from anyone outside our little group :)

Very likely we could squeeze in a couple of extra tables, but I really want everyone to sell everything they bring, the less vendors, the less likely people pack stuff up and take it home.  My priority is a good selling day for my vendors, and a fun worthwhile outing for our buyers.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca

Salty Cracker link said:
I also changed the layout of the center tables, I don't think we're going to have any ice sculpture centerpiece, so might as well make them vendor tables.  If anyone wants to switch let me know.  It's actually filling up fast and we haven't heard from anyone outside our little group :)

Very likely we could squeeze in a couple of extra tables, but I really want everyone to sell everything they bring, the less vendors, the less likely people pack stuff up and take it home.  My priority is a good selling day for my vendors, and a fun worthwhile outing for our buyers.

I know it's early, but are you gonna post a "Whatcha Bringing Thread?" This will ensure some solid pre-sales so that guys aren't hacking up their colonies and packing frags just to bring them back home...

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin

teebone110 link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=4499.msg42346#msg42346 date=1361854586]

I know it's early, but are you gonna post a "Whatcha Bringing Thread?" This will ensure some solid pre-sales so that guys aren't hacking up their colonies and packing frags just to bring them back home...
[/quote]

I'm really on the fence....  An email I received today off my kijiji add today said "is it going to be one of those meets where everything is sold or reserved and you only get the crap that's left over?"  So I'm kinda torn on it.  I mean, it's not really a 'sale' if everything is pre-sold, you know?  I think that it might be a fair policy (and I of course can't enforce it), that if you pre-sell something, that you have to bring a second one for open market sale...is that fair?

P

phi delt reefer

hopefully the more commercial operations will have a large selection that is not pre-sold. I guess the issue is what are the numbers like in terms of attendance.

Glenn - maybe you should have it so its $5 for tickets in advance, $7.50 at the door? This way people know theres ATLEAST X number of people coming. I know its a logistical nightmare but you need a break from all those pleasant dreams  :p

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin

phi delt reefer link said:
hopefully the more commercial operations will have a large selection that is not pre-sold. I guess the issue is what are the numbers like in terms of attendance.

Glenn - maybe you should have it so its $5 for tickets in advance, $7.50 at the door? This way people know theres ATLEAST X number of people coming. I know its a logistical nightmare but you need a break from all those pleasant dreams  :p

Not a bad idea really.  I may do this.  maybe 8 at the door, I don't need a billion quarters lol.

AdamS

I like round numbers, and i doubt people will prepay to save 2 or 3 dollars.

Also as much as presales suck, they will happen. If someone presells everything, why even buy a table? Just put it in bags and hand it out in the parking lot. I think you cant do anything to stop presales, but dont do anything to facilitate it either. And ask kindly that the vendors and forum members respect this.

Lets be honest, vendors have no worries about going home with a lot of nice pieces, if anything it will be gsp and xenia thats left over, and who is gonna pre buy that?

Darryl_V

Super Active Member

how about no presales for people with tables.  Anyone who wants to sell and swap with out a table can have at er.

Other thing I wanted to mention is the electrical.  I would probably be best to find out how many 120v 15amp or 20amp ccts we would have access too.    Maybe an idea of where the receptacles are too so we know how many GFI's we need and how much extension cord.  I guess what Im saying is its probably a good idea to do some pre planning on the electical side cause it would suck to find out we cant do what we want with it because we didnt plan.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member

just PLAN on bring stuff home. If you dont have to, then awesome, but if you have to its not the end of the world.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin

Darryl_V link said:
how about no presales for people with tables.  Anyone who wants to sell and swap with out a table can have at er.

Other thing I wanted to mention is the electrical.  I would probably be best to find out how many 120v 15amp or 20amp ccts we would have access too.    Maybe an idea of where the receptacles are too so we know how many GFI's we need and how much extension cord.  I guess what Im saying is its probably a good idea to do some pre planning on the electical side cause it would suck to find out we cant do what we want with it because we didnt plan.

Yep, I'll be getting in there to measure and check out the electrical.  The building runs 2 kitchens and 2 bars, so I'm assuming they have decent power distribution, and they have bands and bands were brutal on electrical (I know) :)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin

AdamS link said:

Also as much as presales suck, they will happen. If someone presells everything, why even buy a table? Just put it in bags and hand it out in the parking lot. I think you cant do anything to stop presales, but dont do anything to facilitate it either. And ask kindly that the vendors and forum members respect this.

Lets be honest, vendors have no worries about going home with a lot of nice pieces, if anything it will be gsp and xenia thats left over, and who is gonna pre buy that?

Nobody will pre-buy GSP, but I'll bet it sells better to the regular joe off the street than a $500 acro ;) 

I sort of agree that this is definitely also a swap, and pre sale stuff would be best out in the picnic area.  What we really want to do it attract new people to the hobby, I mean the more people are buying/selling coral, and the more people are on this forum, the better for all of us.  I wouldn't have 90% of the nice pieces I have if I hadn't met you guys, and just think of the treasures out there to be found.  I want to make sure we don't get a lot of the "don't bother going next year, everything was pre-sold" feedback.  I want "the selection was unreal!!"  :)

Besides, why sell to us, we're all cheapskates. 

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate

AdamS link said:

speaking of vendors.. i think some vendors need to hop on board here soon.. its great to see such a good turnout from the hobbiest side of it.. but wheres the support from the local London fish stores, i see Big Als is on board.. but what about the other 2 ? and maybe the toronto stores? maybe that guy from quebec with the nice website?..  If you want the "Selection was unreal!!" feedback your looking for i don't think a bunch of tables filled with coral from local hobbiests is going to cut it.. you need vendors and stores with an unreal selection to get that.

ricklalonde

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca

Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=teebone110 link=topic=4499.msg42359#msg42359 date=1361863151]
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=4499.msg42346#msg42346 date=1361854586]

[/quote]

I'm really on the fence....  An email I received today off my kijiji add today said "is it going to be one of those meets where everything is sold or reserved and you only get the crap that's left over?"  So I'm kinda torn on it.  I mean, it's not really a 'sale' if everything is pre-sold, you know?  I think that it might be a fair policy (and I of course can't enforce it), that if you pre-sell something, that you have to bring a second one for open market sale...is that fair?
[/quote]

My 2 cents on pre-sales...

Every swap I've ever been to or read about has had pre-sales. Its a great way to get people amped about the event. Guys start drooling over the frags that are going to be available and people on the fence are convinced that its definitely going to be worth their while to attend. In fact, this is why I decided to go to my first swap.

I can guarantee that between just the guys who have already signed up to sell frags that there will be way more than enough killer pieces of coral to go around, even after some of the coral is pre-sold. The notion of it being unfair I don't get. It's not like only certain people will be allowed to per-purchase the pre-sale items.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
LONDON FRAG FEST 2013 - OFFICIAL THREAD

I think posting what you have before is definitely is smart. You never really know what people are after until you ask. Pre sale or not, the good stuff will go first so be there in good time if you want something fancy. I plan on taking my profits if any as I go and going to other tables. For me it's not about making $$, it's all back to making money so I can go to another table and find a gem.

P

phi delt reefer

guys who are renting tables should be maximizing their space.

bring colorful healthy frags and they will sell. If you choose to sell 1/2" frags of brown digi's for $50 then expect to take a lot back home.

This is a flea-market in terms of pricing. unless you have some premium stuff with solid lineage, dont charge stupid prices. 

Presales should be a good indicator in terms of pricing and what stuff is in demand.  Look through the old forsale threads to get a grasp on what sells and at what price.

ricklalonde

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca

Duke link said:
[quote author=AdamS link=topic=4499.msg42422#msg42422 date=1361895975]

speaking of vendors.. i think some vendors need to hop on board here soon.. its great to see such a good turnout from the hobbiest side of it.. but wheres the support from the local London fish stores, i see Big Als is on board.. but what about the other 2 ? and maybe the toronto stores? maybe that guy from quebec with the nice website?..  If you want the "Selection was unreal!!" feedback your looking for i don't think a bunch of tables filled with coral from local hobbiests is going to cut it.. you need vendors and stores with an unreal selection to get that.
[/quote]

The event has only been posted for a little over a week and we still have T-3 months before the event. As word gets out, frag pictures get posted, the momentum will build and sponsors will jump on board. They would be silly not to.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin

How about a good compromise... that pre-sold items aren't displayed on the tables?  Would that work? 

What about a minimum price for frags?  We're all aware of the price-wars that erupt around here where someone has a $10 frag and suddenly there is a $9 frag.  Or just leave it to good old 'what the market will bear'?  I'm just throwing ideas out there now, I really just want a fun time for all.  I'm likely with Jerry... anything I make will likely go to someone else with killer pieces :)

Poseidon

Distinguished Member

ya for sure, my goal is to walk away well within the negatives and have tons of sweet frags :)

im all for a whatca bringing thread, so others can see what others are bringing

and we should agree on something with prices, i know if i ask 4$ a head for candy cane, someone will ask 3$ etc etc...
i really dont wanna have any fights or anything,

just a thought of course :)

Reef Hero

Super Active Member

I think we should just concentrate on the actual setup at tables and make sure everything is going to be ok....especially electrical wise.....I am available salty to come check out our situation sometime if you like......I can make up gfci whips.....not sure on price but if I can't get the gfci recepts then it will probably just be the cost of one of those.....so maybe 10 to 15 each.....I have already accumulated most of the required material minus the actual gfci recepts....
I really think we should leave the presales up to the buyer and seller....does anyone else really have to get involved? I do think it would be nice to have a thread showing some stuff people will be selling but just don't list any prices and say come get it at the fragfest.....presold pieces can easily be kept aside and only for sale stuff should be on display IMO.
We definitely need to get more stores in on this!!!
As far as prices go......I don't really think we need to all get together and decide on prices.....people have always sold stuff at diff rates....this is nothing new. In fact, the province of Ontario now considers that to be a form of price fixing....... At lansing swap I seen Rastas from 50 to 250 and JF JOL Lepto from 65 to 250.... This is nothing new and people should be allowed to sell for whatever price they like..... If the price is too high and buyers feel they can get just as nice of piece somewhere else then they will.....you have to remember that just bcuz all sellers have the "same" frags does not mean that they all look the same or are in as good of health, or same lineage, etc....
I think we are looking at too many minor details here and need to focus and just providing what is needed for the vendors, but yet leaving it at a certain point where the vendor has to take responsibility from there....