My First Build ever...and need some direction

Marz

Frig! Ok, there may be things that I cannot do :) I definitely want to figure out items 1-3, but I did not have plans to add corals for awhile. Plus the better half wants to see things swimming.

I shouldn't have read this now, but had to. If anyone else has read this article what are their thoughts?

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
i cant say i agree with that list either... fish are hardy *exceptions of course*, and corals, especially sps are very finicky and prone to death lol
ive always told ppl, add a couple of nice fish after your cycle, THEN wait for several months to add corals.

Jewel

I'm not sure I agree with it, I have read do not add Coral until you see Coraline Algea growing. I wouldn't say I adhered to this rule but I think it's accurate.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
I believe the point of the article was basically that adding fish early creates a bioload that a new tank can not yet support, leading to a rise in nutrients very early in the tank's life.  Yes fish are hardy and can survive but it could start a long line of nutrient problems.

That being said, lots of people add fish first, I did it myself in my tank, and things seem to work out.  But I just may try the above method when I upgrade my system.

Marz

Yes it was interesting. I have also been reading about Dr. Tim's one and only. Necessary to add fish when using it, unless using pure ammonia. Depending on how my "new hobby" goes, I may try this with a smaller tank, but for now I will concentrate on getting this one up.

Marz

So, what's up for the weekend? (Kids are sick and wife is working so can't plan too much)

Prepare basement as my home water is getting done - UV, Softener (replaced) and RO as well as moving iron filter to a new location.
Pickup missing part for my tank sump pump and find better heater - Road Trip
Work on the aquascaping for the tank (Marco Rock) - can I rinse the rock and seaflor down with my well water then use RO/DI water as the last rinse?
Empty tank and get everything setup (substrate and rock) - will probably fill next weekend.
Get the cabinet organized so that it doesn't turn into a complete mess.

Also, I think I will take your (Jewels) advice as I have priced out power bars, timers, etc, so will be looking for a reef controller - makes sense.

Jewel

You should ask on here, I know there's a couple of guys who may have Reef Keepers that have upgraded to Apex. The Reef Keeper is just as good,

Marz

Latest Update...

Well the tank and I survived the leak test, so I have drained it and will be cleaning it this weekend with RO/DI and vinegar. I have added the skimmer, ATO, and heater to get a handle on how everything fits. My filtration for my 3 part filter will be filter floss, the yellow sponge that comes with the tank, purigen and Chemi elite. My goal is to have water in the tank over the weekend as well.
I have spent a fair chunk of time getting what "the family" is happy with in terms of aquascaping. I have included some pictures and am looking for feedback. I am planning on a SSB around 1.5" - 2" max. Thoughts?

Jewel

Looks pretty good But, I wouldn't put the PVC under the Rock, Once your sand goes in, It'll hold the rocks in place, JMO  I've never seen that before.

Jewel

It'll be an area that'll collect detritus and like I said place your Rock on the glass and put the sand in around it, It'll be stable. Some people put the Rock on the sand and then when fish or snails burrow in the sand it will make it un stable. It's tough to get the Rock exactly how you like it. Remember all those holes and depressions in the Rock is where you'll place your Coral, So those places you want them to be pointed up. Try in with out the PVC Just the sand and Rock and see how stable it is.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
I've seen people use PVC in a different way that's quite nice, cut short pieces and set them up vertically.  This allows you to keep the rock up and out of the sand so it gets good flow but also cuts down on where detritus can build up.

Marz

What if I were to drill many small holes in the PVC piping - would this reduce the chances of detritus? This way I can get the overhangs, etc that I am looking for. I have been reading a bunch of stuff on this and have seen a number of methods; pillars holding the rock, stands with multi-levels of PVC, etc. Just would like to be able to have the rock raised.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
ppl use acrylic rod ..yu can drill in the rock amd push the rod thru holes amd stack rock yu cam make it all up out of the tank and then set it inside the tank and move and take peices out as yu find yur best look acrylic rod is solid not hollow so no stuff builds up inside