Staff member
Website Admin
Re: 48 LED DIY REEF LIGHT x 2

Think we have some on site :-X

But not in large amounts

P

phi delt reefer

Re: 48 LED DIY REEF LIGHT x 2

Not the shit for deicing.  Lab grade shit like BRS. Start searching. Heard Dow is in ur neighbourhood

xxmurrxx

Re: Neopimps DIY LED Reef Lights Build - 96 LED

With your Apex do you have to have the VMD module?
Was wondering about this, might be doing a LED fixture for my cube, I have the Apex Jr.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin

The Apex comes with 2 ports on it that are the regular LAN cable plugs.  Each plug carries 2 0-10V controls.

I do not think that the JR has those plugs built it.  You will have to get a VDM in order to dim your leds.

Z

Zakk

Doing up the dimmer plugs for the apex are on my 'to-do' list.  I use a dimmer unit I bought for my LED's but it's not really very useful, the apex can do a whole lot more, but you need to do a custom plug.  If I figure it out I'll post some pics.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin

There is no custom plug.. just get an old network cable and cut it in half.... Can use a multimeter or the pin out that is in the manual or the in the "Non  Official Apex Guide" that is kicking around to figure out which wires are being used by the apex. Just Google It.  :)

An yes you will need to purchase that Variable Voltage unit to dim your LED with the Junior.

Z

Zakk

Neopimp link said:
There is no custom plug.. just get an old network cable and cut it in half.... Can use a multimeter or the pin out that is in the manual or the in the \"Non  Official Apex Guide\" that is kicking around to figure out which wires are being used by the apex. Just Google It.  :)

An yes you will need to purchase that Variable Voltage unit to dim your LED with the Junior.

This is what I meant  ;D 

I was going to grab some plug 'blanks' so that I could make it look at neat and professional, but maybe just hacking a cable and using some heat shrink tubing will work too...

Blob-79

Super Active Member

professional looking is overrated....just look at neos led fixture.. :eek:

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin

:) Psh

I have had this 100ft Lan cable kicking around for years... Finally i get to use it and I cut it in half... now I have two variable speed cables. :)

Blob-79

Super Active Member

lol ya i guess you do need close to a 50' run to get to your tank from the sump eh :p

Z

Zakk

Wiring this up tonight, see if it will work.  One plug I'm going to need for vortech pumps, so one plug will have to run all the LED's.  I plan to do the white/blue mixes on one 10v feed, and the actinic on the other.  We'll see if this works and doesn't send fire and nasty pain all over me. 

Please dial 9 and then 1 on your phones.  If you hear ungodly screaming, then dial 1 again.  Tell them to send fire-rescue, sasha grey and maybe some beer.  Thanks!

P

phi delt reefer

sasha grey no longer does public anal... she now reads to school children... jeez Zakk, read a paparazzi blog once in a while.

Z

Zakk

phi delt reefer link said:
sasha grey no longer does public anal... she now reads to school children... jeez Zakk, read a paparazzi blog once in a while.

I have some school children here, I wanted her to read to them in case I was on fire, it would settle them down.  She does anal? 

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin

You should be able to dim all the drivers from one of the ports.  DEpending on which drivers you have anyways.  Just need to make sure you get the color mixtures right if are dimming the entire thing from one port.  If you have the Meanwell Dimmables you can adjust the max current with the screw on the inside of the unit to get the color you want between the blues and whites.  With that set you can dimm from that point to 0 with the apex.

:)

Z

Zakk

Neopimp link said:
You should be able to dim all the drivers from one of the ports.  DEpending on which drivers you have anyways.  Just need to make sure you get the color mixtures right if are dimming the entire thing from one port.  If you have the Meanwell Dimmables you can adjust the max current with the screw on the inside of the unit to get the color you want between the blues and whites.  With that set you can dimm from that point to 0 with the apex.

:)

I didn't at all like the results when I set the blues and whites to separate dimmers, so each 12 LED mix has its own driver, so that each 'panel' looks uniform.  It did take a bit of tweaking, but I think I had to dial back the drivers anyway, the blues can't take as much juice as the whites, so everything got scaled bacl.  SO, it should run off 1 port.

Issue has been soldering that teeeeeny network cable to something big enough to work with  :p

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin

That way if you dont liek your color then you are having to swap out leds instead of just dimming one color down?

Z

Zakk

Neopimp link said:
That way if you dont liek your color then you are having to swap out leds instead of just dimming one color down?

Yes, but that only takes about 5 minutes.  Also, I put 24 royal blues on separate drivers as actinic supplementation.  To me, I think I prefer around 15,000K lighting, so once I had that, I was good.  The dimmer is just for sunrise sunset cycles now.

AdamS

Do you have an update with your DIY LED fixture?

What is the longevity of your LEDs been like? Do you notice any depreciation in output?

Have any/many LED chips failed? What about the drivers?

How has growth been over the last year, when compared to previous years?

Just curious,
Adam