Newbie's New Fusion 40 Build :)

heath

Distinguished Member
in picture # 1, what would it look like if you move the top rock over and made like a shelf and then you could have an area for the fish to swim around it..

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Number 3 as well... but I'd take the biggest rock and break in two... have 3 on bottom and stagger the two smaller ones on the top ... it will have a more balanced look

Canadianeh

I will break off and or two stones to get more variety of sizes. I will have some extra Marco rocks at the end and I will put them up for sale.

OK. So the rocks have been in RODI water for 48 hours and Phosphate level is O or too low to read. I used the Idip and it is really easy to use. I tested twice and both times show the same result. I am still waiting for my salt and Aquaforest glue to arrive to aquascape my tank so I will continue to soak the rocks and maybe test it again in few days.

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Not sure that testing tge rock sitting in plain rodi water is going to matter too much... this is just my opinion so if the more experienced members weigh in please correct me. You need to cycle the rock in your tank anyway and u will be testing that water. I don't believe you will be doing anything to speed up your process of that's what you're trying to do

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Not sure that testing tge rock sitting in plain rodi water is going to matter too much... this is just my opinion so if the more experienced members weigh in please correct me. You need to cycle the rock in your tank anyway and u will be testing that water. I don't believe you will be doing anything to speed up your process of that's what you're trying to do
He's doing it to see if there is any po4 trapped in the rock itself

Sony Xperia Z3

Canadianeh

He's doing it to see if there is any po4 trapped in the rock itself

Sony Xperia Z3

This is what I am doing Nathan. I am not in a hurry and not doing it to speed up the process.

My plan is after I got some glues, break off some rocks into smaller sizes, and complete my aquascape, I will soak it again in RODI water for a couple of days to see if there is any phosphate from the broken off pieces. Let me know Eric if this is overkill :)

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Ahhhh I c... I misunderstood what your doing .... thanks Eric for the correction... looking forward to seeing your build canadian

Canadianeh

Is it necessary to clean your brand new equipments suchas tank, skimmer, in tank medias, and etc before you use them? If it is, how do you clean them?

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Is it necessary to clean your brand new equipments suchas tank, skimmer, in tank medias, and etc before you use them? If it is, how do you clean them?
In my opinion I would clean them with a very diluted vinegar rinse. Just to make sure any chemical residues etc are removed .

Canadianeh

Some aquscaping ideas
Option #1
20161023_154049_zpsszhnq5la.jpg

Option#2
20161023_154109_zpsl9zvyp1x.jpg

Option#3
20161023_161551_zpsbd6fssgl.jpg

Option#4
20161023_161856_zpsqn1bc7ku.jpg

Option#5
20161023_165713_zps2zydb1uf.jpg

Option#6
20161023_171155_zpsivaxdets.jpg

Canadianeh

I personally like #6 as well. I did all of those with the "help" LOL of my 5 years old son. He was so proud of it he even asked me to take picture of him in front of each model. He is one of my reasons to started saltwater tank :)

I don't have Brute bin or large enough bin to mix saltwater all at once. If I mix them in a 5 gallons bucket x 7, do I need to use heater at all? If not, will it kill my live sand?
My plan is to fill up my tank in following order:
  1. Lay down the rocks
  2. Lay down the live sand
  3. Pour 7 buckets of saltwater mix in the course of 7 days. I have to leave it in overnight for each bucket that I make.
Will this method be an issue, or kill my live sand? the heater in the tank will not be turned on until the tank is fill up.

Dingets

Temp should have no effect on your cycle. However some people run heaters and lights throughout the cycle so that the system isn't "shocked" when you introduce livestock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canadianeh

Temp should have no effect on your cycle. However some people run heaters and lights throughout the cycle so that the system isn't "shocked" when you introduce livestock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sorry. I think I didn't make myself clear enough. I will be using a heater during cycle of course.

I was asking if heater is necessary during the filling up the tank with saltwater process. As I mentioned that it will take me about 7 days (or less) to fill up the tank as I will be using one 5 gallon bucket to mix and leave it overnight. So one bucket per day. Only once the tank is filled up with saltwater, I will then turn on the heater and wait until it reaches the correct temperature before I start the cycle.

Canadianeh

There is a problem.

Tunze DOC 9004 skimmer does not fit in any other chambers other than the ones where the in tank media basket goes in. Some reefer online put the 9004 in one of these media chamber and just use one intank media basket.

If I follow this, will there be a problem?

Canadianeh

Guess no one has any advice for me but...

Water in. Waiting for the cloud to go away. do i need to run powerhead and return pump at this time?
20161027_171311_zps8dalaegb.jpg