Nicks 220g Big Boy Build

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Oh and BTW have you noticed that the guys with the huge ego's don't last very long in this hobby no matter how many dollars they spend trying to buy success.
By far the best statement I've read on this forum. And so true.
All the hobbyists who have been in it for a long time can relate. We've seen so many people drop out of this hobby because they thought just throwing money at a problem will fix it. Man were they wrong. This holds true to most things in life. Learn from others and don't let your ego get the better of you. Take advice from experience

Sony Xperia Z3

Nick James

The DT pre drilling

86E49642-4902-47F9-957A-6BA6600A14F5_zpsifajuhew.jpg

The sump..

7D3D07BD-0B9E-421A-AEBB-CEEEEC70ABF0_zpsw5dssluh.jpg

The wall where the DT will go. I will build the stand and trim it the same as the wainscotting so that it has a built in look. I may install a fan to suck moisture into the room behind.

773E9F4D-48E5-46FD-97EC-4CE3460A00EB_zpsv5ghzqgs.jpg

The "fish corner" for my sump, QT, mixing station, laundry tub. There is a vent pipe and water source above and the drain stack to the right.

C0DFB09A-0126-4ACA-8390-CBEDBDF0AA1F_zpsq0ewa0u9.jpg

Nick James

.. and I should elaborate about sucking moisture from the canopy above the DT to the room behind. I would like to install a bathroom van hooked to a humidity sensor in that area above the sump corner that will vent outside.

shamous113

.. and I should elaborate about sucking moisture from the canopy above the DT to the room behind. I would like to install a bathroom van hooked to a humidity sensor in that area above the sump corner that will vent outside.
That will work but how will you deal with the makeup air? best case would be to run it thru a HRV, worst case you will find all the drafts in your house.

Nick James

That will work but how will you deal with the makeup air? best case would be to run it thru a HRV, worst case you will find all the drafts in your house.

I have one which is actually installed about 20 feet away in the furnace room. I thought of unhooking the flex pipe which would cause it to draw air from the basement but, seeing these fans installed in bathrooms without issue made me think it would be ok to install it in the basement. I am no HVAC expert however. My brother is, I'll have to ask him I guess..

Nick James

I loved my SWC. Took a bit to tune, but worked great. I have one on my seahorse tank right now as well.

I know very little about the hardware involved but from reading I was pleasantly surprised to find I can replace/upgrade the pump without issue. Do you know what pump is on yours? This has the sicce psk 2500.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I am running the 120 on my seahorse tank. I just remembered that this is a 220 build. This should work, but may want to go a little bigger.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Nick James

I am running the 120 on my seahorse tank. I just remembered that this is a 220 build. This should work, but may want to go a little bigger.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

I am hoping it will work ;) I believe I should be fine for a medium bioload. I'll have a decent size fuge and an ATS running as well as Siporax (probably in a reactor), carbon and gfo in reactors as well. That is how I am setting it up anyways. I'll have to make adjustments and potentially upgrade if it doesn't seem to be sufficient long term.

And not sure if you noticed but this is the SWC 180, not 120

Nick James

What was your biocube experience...

It is still up and running. I found it to be small, but it was good to get my toes wet again. In a small tank with a small body of water I felt you had to keep on top of it and even then, GHA and other problems pop up. I will keep it going until this tank gets situated and aged enough for sps and my leopard wrasse. After that, we will see.

Nick James

Here is where I am at in my rockscaping practice runs.. I have a bucket of smaller rocks that I can epoxy into place and I thought I would stick a few pieces to my tree structure on the right. That will get covered in zoas.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.