Nicks 220g Big Boy Build

Nick James

I picked up my 48" overflow from JT at fragfest as well as a waveline dc10000 from Chaz. Once I get my rodi and laundry tub/ water station built I'll be cooking with gas!

So many little things I need to do, so little time... I need to put something on the back glass (flexi dip maybe), baffles in the sump and plumb the overflow!

Nick James

I got the laundry tub plumbed up in the "fish room" (don't tell my wife it's the fish room). I also got my stand levelled up and placed in its final resting spot. The overflow is in place and, I have my rock in the tank. I had used in water weld to keep some of the larger pieces how I wanted them so I could easily put them back how they were. The water weld did t weld so good.. and I had to try to rebuild it. I am not sure about the little island. I feel like I need one large show peice rock to stand alone by itself. I'll use some more epoxy to make the structure more stable and fit some small pieces in certain spots to make the rock work "flow" a little better.

agHG6Fa.jpg

6beOFrw.jpg

Last edited:

Nick James

Looks very nice.

Only thing you may want to think about is putting a layer of eggcrate between the rock and the glass. Your rock looks pretty flat at the base, but the eggcrate will help distribute the weight if there are any "points" on the rock.

I had debated putting starboard or a peice of acrylic down for the same purpose but ultimately I decided not to bother. Most of the rock is very porous and light weight. A lot of it is muriatic acid washed pukani.

Plus I already epoxied 80% of my rock together

Last edited:

Nick James

I got my sump into place and have to accept the fact it's too tall for under the stand. It fits, but barely. Not enough room to work or even change my filter sock.

@James Mackinnon and the guys at JAM Aquatics have a perfect tank for me and are going to help me out. Hoping I have that in by the end of the week.

Nick James

FtQ0AxS.jpg

I will be running this siporax reactor off of my return manifold. Hoping to pick up the replacement sump this weekend..

Nick James

HTcGcwo.jpg

Dry fit together.. any thoughts?

From left to right: spare for future addition, phosban 550 siporax reactor, phosban 150 for carbon, pipe to refugium.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Well you didn't spare any expenses for sure. Most people use ball valves, but gates work great too. I like the unions that you used. I did the same on my return pump. I glued the union to the hard plumbing, but I left the part that connects to my pump not glued, I used a liquid gasket. It can hold the pressure, but if I need the pump replaced it is super easy to remove the pump thanks to the union and then just put the union on another pump.

Nick James

Well you didn't spare any expenses for sure. Most people use ball valves, but gates work great too. I like the unions that you used. I did the same on my return pump. I glued the union to the hard plumbing, but I left the part that connects to my pump not glued, I used a liquid gasket. It can hold the pressure, but if I need the pump replaced it is super easy to remove the pump thanks to the union and then just put the union on another pump.

Thanks torx. For the connection to my pump I have an 1 1/4" threaded x 1 1/2" slip fitting. I was going to use plumbers tape for this connection then have a small peice of pvc glued between this fitting and a union so that I can quickly take off line for maintenance. I'll have this section dry fit as soon as the new sump is in its final spot.

Nick James

Looks good. If you need siporax let me know I have some in stock at the moment

Thanks Dave, I bought mine off you already. I have the sponge in the wrong spot in the pic. That reactor is full!

I may need some more eventually for the coral QT tank.

Nick James

Well.. I got the plumbing done, ran the return on low for a bit, got my skimmer er running, siporax reactor online.. then.. noticed a small drip at the end cap of the manifold.. and a small drip where the flex pvc is glued into the tee for the manifold.. for *#¥% sakes..

So I sawed off the cap and will clean and reglue a plug into the end. I really don't want to cut out the tee but looks like the safest bet.. or I can go against the advice of plumbers and hope pvc cement at the seam will penetrate enough to fill the leak... the leak is at the top of the tee and gravity would hopefully help..

Last edited: