Poseidons 120g Acrylic Reef

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Interested since I'm building a fixture now.... There is so much focus on adding uv to LED fixtures but aquarium T5HO's put out virtually zero measurable in that range of the spectrum and halides are specifically filtered to eliminate virtually all uv output as well. If T5's grow coral like crazy with no uv why would I feel I need it with LED? (My China box is "full spectrum" and has a few uv emitters and works nicely with the SPS I have in there but I don't keep it Tidy-bowl blue all the time either.

Honestly I was thinking that the t5 supplements in my future light would mostly be adding a little bit of red throughout the tank and generally filling the longer wavelengths.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Well its been almost a month since dosing the CP, and my yellow tang and 2 clowns and blenny look spectacular, not a single visible spot on the yellow since Oct 6 (1 day after treatment they disappeared.)
Im also under the impression that now the CP will almost be completely used up so i will start to run my skimmer as well as carbon and do a water change this week as well.

Once thats all done I will try some corals, (some inexpensive zoas and gsp should be sufficient) and go from there!

mark my words, any and ALL new fish will be undergoing quarantine with CP. lol

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
I didnt start the carbon or do a water change yet due to... well life haha.
But i did grab a small zoa frag off a local reefer yesterday and through it in to see how it goes.
Opened up and looking great last night,
i do intend to run some carbon and do a small water change right shortly though.

Still no signs of ich or anything on the fish, and algae is starting to grow again in the display. (CP knocks the socks off of algae)

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
I added a couple zoas, some snails a leather or two to really test this out.
Starting to get algae and cyano growing, ( cp kills that instantly) so I'm concluding the levels of cp are extremely Low or gone.

Did my first water change on this tank (30g)
Nitrates are below 5> ( always have been)
Fish are very healthy and happy.

Not in a huge rush, just going to see how this stuff does and slowly start adding new things. Nothing expensive at this point in time just slowly build up trust in the system.
7f31cc9ed4d8f5474549954fc7e6114b.jpg
56c32058e7c14d0990cebf8880870173.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kman

Super Active Member
Looking nice. :)

Good idea not to rush. It is well worth the wait to properly cycle. If you go slow you cut down on the majority of algae issues. Most algae issue are caused by the reefer themselves. So go slow and enjoy what you have. Soon enough your tank will be packed and thriving. Going slow cuts down on livestock loss as well keeping things cheaper and being more environmentally conscious. Win win I say.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Looking nice. :)

Good idea not to rush. It is well worth the wait to properly cycle. If you go slow you cut down on the majority of algae issues. Most algae issue are caused by the reefer themselves. So go slow and enjoy what you have. Soon enough your tank will be packed and thriving. Going slow cuts down on livestock loss as well keeping things cheaper and being more environmentally conscious. Win win I say.
im going very slowly, tank is full of algea :D
tang loves it haha.

Kman

Super Active Member
It is great for jump starting the food web. When starting from scratch that is how i like to do it. Pack it with macro algae and when it is time to add more corals just remove it.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Corals are doing great! So are my 3 fish, lol
Going to try get a few more corals, couple of fire shrimp and maybe a mandarine ( good lord there are pods everywhere)
Also want to find a Halloween urchin and maybe nem, but still wouldn't mind waiting a bit for last one.
Some pics . Algae is doing very well too ;)

3f19fbf7acc14f9bdb607c2d4ec3009c.jpg
1032395f3ac02d25ed1356caa4a26825.jpg
2d1be4caaa2d7b44c75184e0f0d2eaec.jpg
cd3142e968d0c476638081403d04afd0.jpg

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
Looking good, remember to Glue everything down, then Glue it again otherwise he's gonna be wearing the coral, my Halloween basically took a 6"round Hollywood stunner chalice and turned it into 2"x2" now he's all sparkled in chalice pieces in someone else's tank,lmao

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Tanks doing great!
Hair algae is present but a series of water changes and gfo reactor online has seem to curb the growth.
Also have turned a few rocks upside down which lets the algae slowly starve to death and has very minimal impact.
Few new additions and corals due to some accidental 'scavenging '

3bc4fababd7416dd1fc0441b97f91097.jpg
2eb88ec87280f32f2bf97a21e6ba742a.jpg
48a110fa661632f8ef01d82b8546c040.jpg

Last edited:

nevek67

If you want a coral banded I'll give you mine for free..just come up for a beer and help me catch it and its all yours...he's an asshole!

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
If you want a coral banded I'll give you mine for free..just come up for a beer and help me catch it and its all yours...he's an asshole!

Haha that always sucks
One angel limit per feed tank is my philosophy though so no go for me

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
8bc04ff3fcc8aa7414b349c9d78d197c.jpg

Side view of my living room from my kitchen

The fish now living with me are:

Yellow tang
Blue throat trigger
2 black snowflake clowns
Flame angel
Lawnmower blenny
Cleaner wrasse ( eats flake :D )
Fat mandarin
Yellow tail damsel

I'm 'done' stocking fish for now. Will keep my eyes open for that special one but not aggressively seeking out specimens