RapidLED Group Buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Salty Cracker link said:
I always offer, but if anyone wants to come by before they order, and see a working setup, they are more than welcome.  Free adult cat with every visit!

:?

xxmurrxx

Ill probably be in, I contacted rapid led and they told me separate orders can be included in the group buy but will have to pay your own shipping separate. Which I would be more comfortable doing.

Aprox order 500 $

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
xxmurrxx link said:
Ill probably be in, I contacted rapid led and they told me separate orders can be included in the group buy but will have to pay your own shipping separate. Which I would be more comfortable doing.

Aprox order 500 $

soooo untrusting! :)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
xxmurrxx link said:
Call me crazy :)
And nothing against him at all I just don't personally know him.

It'll be easy to spot him if he takes off, his house will have $2000 worth of CREE LED's in it, you could spot it from google maps lol.

AdamS

xxmurrxx, no problem, the drive from London to Windsor is boring anyways.  ;D

It seems interest is pretty good. I will email RapidLED this afternoon to work out some more details.

Adam

parksy

Super Active Member
Mark at Coral Reef shop is saying I would need 12 par38 bulbs to run my frag table, so I'm out lol.

Thanks

AdamS

Get a DIY fixture?? I would believe that is much better than a par38 anyways. And if you get the solderless, its just a matter of plugging everything in.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
AdamS link said:
Get a DIY fixture?? I would believe that is much better than a par38 anyways. And if you get the solderless, its just a matter of plugging everything in.

Love my Rapid DIY solderless build. Just wish I got the other drivers.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
AdamS link said:

yup, im only going par 38 bulbs for an anemone only tank.. if it was for a frag setup id be going diy also.. i didnt look at prices but i would think 120 LEDS would cover a frag table pretty good.

AdamS

Check out the package they have for a 75g tank, and then email Rapid, I am sure they would help.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
parksy link said:
Mark at Coral Reef shop is saying I would need 12 par38 bulbs to run my frag table, so I'm out lol.

Thanks

Maybe mark doesn't know what he's talking about...or possibly (and more likely) there are different grades of "PAR 38" bulbs, and he's familiar with the $2 Chinese knockoff ones?? 

12 of them for a frag tank just seems like overkill...and expensive :)

davesolo29

Super Active Member
12 really isnt unrealistic.
cant remember which ones i was looking at that said they were only good for about a sq ft of coverage.  so, a 4ftx4ft tank would be 16 sq ft.
remember... they are talking about maximum potential.  i have seen many people use one or two of them over a 2ft cube.  so that would be 4 or 8 of them over a 4x4 tank.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Well there's 12 LEDs in each par bulb, so 144 LEDs on an 8" (I assume he didn't really mean it was 8 feet deep) frag tank is insane.  I only have 108 or so on a 2' deep 125 tank, so 144 would just bleach the living hell out of everything.  That's why I say he might not be familiar with these bulbs :)

davesolo29

Super Active Member
i realize its only an 8" tank... but its still 4x4 footprint or something like that.  so still 16sq ft of coverage is required.

because the tank is shallow, it would require the lighting to be raised higher, which will broaden the light coverage, but at the same time, the added height away from the tank would lessen the par value.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
davesolo29 link said:
i realize its only an 8\" tank... but its still 4x4 footprint or something like that.  so still 16sq ft of coverage is required.

because the tank is shallow, it would require the lighting to be raised higher, which will broaden the light coverage, but at the same time, the added height away from the tank would lessen the par value.

Hmm, I still think that's overkill, probably 48" heatsink strips would be better, maybe 90 bulbs with 80 deg optics.  even with drivers it would likely be close to half the price of the par bulbs (a lot more work though).

I'd like to see 144 bulbs on a frag tank though, man if the frags could stand it they would be spectacular.  The problem is if they were acclimated to that much light, they wouldn't stand a chance in a regular tank :)

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=davesolo29 link=topic=4071.msg36571#msg36571 date=1358457377]
i realize its only an 8\" tank... but its still 4x4 footprint or something like that.  so still 16sq ft of coverage is required.

Hmm, I still think that's overkill, probably 48" heatsink strips would be better, maybe 90 bulbs with 80 deg optics.  even with drivers it would likely be close to half the price of the par bulbs (a lot more work though).

I'd like to see 144 bulbs on a frag tank though, man if the frags could stand it they would be spectacular.  The problem is if they were acclimated to that much light, they wouldn't stand a chance in a regular tank :)
[/quote]

yup you gotta think its only 8" deep.. light doesnt dissapate nearly as much through thin air like water. i would go with 6 bulbs tops and keep them 30" above the water. personally crees are over rated imo the 120 led kit from aquastyle online is a much better deal.

AdamS

So here is the details from RapidLED

If the order is over $2,000 we can offer a 10% discount, if it's over $3,000 we can offer a 12% discount, and if it's over $5,000 we can offer a 15% discount.  Like I mentioned it's not a problem to ship separately, we would just have to charge for each address that we're shipping to (rates will depend on how heavy each package is).

I am somewhat confident we can achieve $2000+ over the next week, $3000+ seems like a stretch. 10% is not great, but better than full price. Can we achieve $2000+?

Im good for about $450, also I will be going to pick stuff up in Michigan, so shipping is FREE!

Status
Not open for further replies.