Salty's "new" 125

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I'll bring a few sizes, you can pick the size. I do have plugs and lots of glue. Let me know size of glue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Thanks to uni for the heaters, incredible that I am barely able to get it to 79deg even with 4 heaters in there. I don't think heat will any longer be an issue with the tank in summer, but I really think I'm going to have to hook up the hot water heat system.

So far so good, I definitely have to start planning a hood/base, as I'm sure an enclosed base would help a lot with heat retention. I am also going to start to building in the hood, get some good light mounts ready to go.

Attachments

• water.jpg
    water.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 78

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
First frags are in, just watching them for a few days then starting to move over other stuff.

Drains are all still leaking like a sonofabitch, but fortunately 3 of the 4 drop directly into the sump below so not a huge deal (except that I didn't order a leaky overflow system and it's going to have to be addressed at some point).

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I am glad you got your tank going. I am thoroughly surprised that knowing who you are, they made such a poor product.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
I don't at all think it was intentional, but instead that's the extent of his abilities. Knows fish/corals really well, knows tanks...notsomuch.

Still, I don't have the general animosity I have towards other retailers because I know the ill-intent isn't there. I'm not going to praise them, but I'm also not looking to go on a rampage.

Still, it's damn annoying. That's a lot of time and $$ into something that is definitely sub par.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
First corals are in. I've never been a huge fan of duncans, but inevitably it's what gets the oooohs and aaaahhhhs from visitors. So hopefully they make it, they've always been fairly hardy. I'm going to move softies and frags over slowly and go from there. At some point lighting/hardware and livestock will have to move. We'll see how many bastard aiptasia make it.
first.jpg

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Duncans opened up (not full, but I think they're fine), and a couple of frags look happy, so might move a few more over today. I bring a cup of DSB from the old tank every day too and seed it into the substrate. Eventually I likely will bring all the sand over from the old tank, I just wish I could replicate the bacteria that must be in the lowest portion, but that will likely all be killed off if exposed to too much oxygen. At some point I'm bringing over the pellet reactor and seeing if I can fuel an algae bloom that way and get it out of the way. Tank can't look pristine forever.
IMG_1687.JPG
IMG_1688.JPG

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Seams are all good. No stress at all, so "no clamps" is definitely the way to go. If I had one more shot at it I could do it 99% flawless. I got a couple of air bubbles in there (tiiiny) because I gooped the silicone on, instead of running a smooth bead but cutting the nozzle bigger. BUT I am quite confident this one won't burst. It's going to have a frame on the bottom and back anyway, the only spots that were serious worry points were the two front edges because there is no way to brace them.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I'm still on the lookout for some acrylic cement. I can dry out the overflows and re-glue from the inside with a looong needle if I can find some, the overflows are all still dripping and that's definitely not good for the long term, but it's running silent which is great. 2x1" drains and 2x 1" dry backups. Also, I don't have any clear pipe, which caused the algae buildup last time.... Feeling optimistic.