Sargassum Trigger

reef keeper

Super Active Member
I think the fee is coffee ;). And money lol.

One phone call was all it took lol. Actually found a place you can order the fish you want. No more " I guess that one".

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Oh lol. Reef boutique in Toronto. I thought I wrote that lol
So you go to reef boutique and don't ask anyone what they want! Then you keep it a secret and don't tell us about all the cool fish and coral he has in stock?

I bet you didn't even stop at canadacorals ;) Jk

reef keeper

Super Active Member
I didn't go yet lol. Going after I get my new truck woohoo!

There are a few plankton eating triggers that generally won't wreck a tank. Include blue throats. Pink tail. Sargassum. Crosshatch.

Triggers rule.

And I don't have much space in my frag tank for a trip to Canada corals!

Jewel

I thought triggers and reefs dont mix??
Generally they don't, The Niger is and a few others but they require other boisterous fish if not they will create havoc. Great personalities though.

Best to put them in a FOWLR and Puffers and Aggressive Tangs like the Clown Tang, and Blonde Naso. now that would be fun to watch.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Congrats on your find! Where are you going to keep it until your new tank is ready?
Make sure you have a lid over its new home. They are known jumpers and I know of a few who have jumped to their demise.

On another note, I'm sad to tell you that your blue throat jumped out of my tank :(
The worst part about it was that I have my tank covered with BRS screens and a canopy, but I removed one side of the screen while changing a nori clip for my tangs and forgot to place it back. Literally left uncovered overnight and found him dried up on the floor the next morning. It always seems they find the smallest opening and go for it. I am still bummed over it.

The good news is that "yellow belly" is thriving and doing extremely well.

reef keeper

Super Active Member
I'm a little bit teared up about blue blue.

I will have a canopy on the new tank with a back wall so hopefully that keeps him in lol.

He will be in that frag/qt until my tank is set up.

And nasd tangs aren't aggressive at all. They are just cool as hell. I'll be getting another of those absolutely.

Also looking at an Achilles once the tank is more established. I like how they change their colours. Blue eyes means get the hell out of my way lmao

Jewel

You're right they aren't aggressive but they'll hold their own with Triggers, they can get quite large in a big tank, I've got a buddy in Milton that has 2 in a 500 gallon tank and they rule.

heath

Distinguished Member
Generally they don't, The Niger is and a few others but they require other boisterous fish if not they will create havoc. Great personalities though.

Best to put them in a FOWLR and Puffers and Aggressive Tangs like the Clown Tang, and Blonde Naso. now that would be fun to watch.
Jim, I'm not sure where you have heard that. I had a niger and Picasso together in the tank (until the niger jumped out) I do have some corals in the tank waiting for the 75 gal to be up and running and frankly neither fish bothered anything.. I am in the process of finding another niger. They aregreat fish, tons of personality.. Like puplfiction said them make great pets..

Jewel

The maximum size is 12 inches in a 180 gl tank but very few make it to that size, I never said a Niger was an aggressive fish what I said was they are better suited as all Triggers are for a FOWLR, A Naso Tang can achieve a length of 18 inches given the proper conditions, Many are not. A Clown Tang is a very striking fish but should be kept in tha latter as well. I suppose anyone can purchase a 3 inch Trigger or Tang and put it in their 55 Gl tank but keep it long term and have it thrive to their maximum potential is another story. The Blue Throat will attain approx. 8-9 inches much better suited for a Reef,

I've had a Blonde Naso, Niger, in a 150 and got along fine but they weren't in the foot long size. I'm not really into big fish mainly because our little glass boxes can't sustain their growth, My list of inhabitants not to kill in my tank keeps getting longer and longer.