Speedy And Invisible Killer

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
In the last two weeks, i have lost a bunch of fish. Obviously, something is seriously f'ed up in my tank. The problem is there is absolutely no indication anything is wrong with them. They look fine in the morning, but are dead or unsaveable by the time i get home 10 hours later. The exception being my foxface, who was slowly swimming around this morning, and is now dead. I've never seen him out and about before the lights come on, so figured something was up. Anyone ever had so many fish die so unexpectedly? No spots or any visual cues. Ammonia and nitrites are nil, and my nitrates are sky high as of last thursday. Been dosing Prime daily since friday night. Looking for possible cause at this point. Obviously large water changes will be occuring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Sorry for your loss
fish can tolerate high nitrates, sounds like no oxygen or chemical contamination some how.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Sorry for your loss
fish can tolerate high nitrates, sounds like no oxygen or chemical contamination some how.
That's what i thought (re nitrates), but have no idea what else it could be. Can think of nothing else that may have got into water.
Sorry to hear.

Have you checked for stray voltage in your system?
I have no way to check for voltage.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Solvents. paint fumes. Using any kind of cleaning chemicals near the tank?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk HD
I did paint half the inside of my canopy with the coating from scubasteve. Was definitely cured before i put it on tank (was off for over 48 hours). Steve mentioned he dripped some in his sump by mistake with no ill effects, so doubt it has anything to do with it.

Sewerat

Super Active Member
What's the temperate of the tank? Can you put your hand in tank without feeling a little shock? Sump? What do you clean skimmer equip with?

heath

Distinguished Member
I have a probe for stray voltage, this is interesting, just talking with Mig a couple of days ago about stray voltage..I have done some research and the winter does pose a great increase in stray voltage...

heath

Distinguished Member
I am not sure if it will read on a meter, I think (if I can remember) that power surges have something to do with it to..As far as I know you will not feel it if your hand is in the tank. Pets&Ponds has the probes for a reasonable price, check it out..
A couple of years ago in Toronto, dogs were being electrocuted on sidewalks, it was stray voltage from the metal grades on sidewalks.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Seems to be varying opinions on how to test for voltage, as well as the effectiveness of grounding probes on net.

heath

Distinguished Member
I agree, I think it depends on your environment, do you get shocks when walking across the carpet and touch a door knob or someone. you can ask the same question to 10 ppl and I'll bet you will get at least 8 different answers..

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Eel looks to be labouring. Bird wrasse is in his cave, which is very unusual for this time. Puffer is hovering just above sand, not swimming around like usual. Sailfin carrying on like normal. I have a bad feeling...