Speedy And Invisible Killer

SamB

Super Active Member
I lost a few fish last year by what appeared to be a silent killer
Fish seemed normal and eating but in the morning I woke to find them on the bottom of the tank
Foxface, neon goby, PBT, etc all died day after day - it was a horrible experience
Corals were all good but fish died day after day : (
I too was looking at nitrates, stray voltage etc.
Turns out that it was Marine velvet - very tough to cure and difficult to diagnose but look first for cloudy eyes and build up of slime on the fish skin / scales
Do some research - check on reef central forum for good postings
God forbid this is what you have because this disease is like the Angel of Death - silent but deadly

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I lost a few fish last year by what appeared to be a silent killer
Fish seemed normal and eating but in the morning I woke to find them on the bottom of the tank
Foxface, neon goby, PBT, etc all died day after day - it was a horrible experience
Corals were all good but fish died day after day : (
I too was looking at nitrates, stray voltage etc.
Turns out that it was Marine velvet - very tough to cure and difficult to diagnose but look first for cloudy eyes and build up of slime on the fish skin / scales
Do some research - check on reef central forum for good postings
God forbid this is what you have because this disease is like the Angel of Death - silent but deadly
Definitely hope it's not that! Did you have to tear down/rebuild, or were you able to eradicate it? Please don't start an "ich-like" debate people! You know who you are ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
My suspect would be low oxygen the prime could be the issue. Is your tank fallow now?
Stray voltage could also be an issue - do you get a shock or tingling when you put your hands in the water? Check the heater.
So sorry for your losses, how long has the tank been up? And how long did you have the fish?
One other thing - did you add a new fish lately ? Mysterious disease ?

Try to give all the info you can.
Ph? Anything new?

Maybe someone close can get things up and going again

Working on a timeline to provide a better picture of what 's happening...

Last edited:

Sewerat

Super Active Member
Jeff do a major water change 50%+. Keep some of the original water to continue testing and such but remember dilution is the solution to pollution. Save the remaining fish while you figure it out.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
IMO don't worry about spending large on nitrate testing... It is really the least toxic and least important...getting a super precise number for it is mostly irrelevant.
I can say for certain i will not be spending $200 for it. Just envisioning a world where i never have to look at a colour chart again! Nitrate seems to be the only thing that hanna didn't make a checker for.

SamB

Super Active Member
Heath is right that if you haven't added anything new for at least 30 days, you can most likely rule out these kind of diseases
In my case, I was too slow to figure out what was killing my fish and they all died before I could QT them.
I let the tank sit empty with just corals for 30 days and then I started to add more fish (sloooowly)

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
My mushrooms, which a few days ago looked like this:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425478938.000530.jpg

have all but completely disintegrated. Does that help narrow down what's going on?

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Have you had a chance to check for stray voltage / current?

You know the heater isn't the only thing that could put stray voltage in your tank. Anything electrical could do it. Old power heads. Faulty new power heads. Faulty return pump. Skimmer pumps.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk 2

I've had a faulty powerhead and always got a tingle in tank and no livestock seemed hurt other than kinda skittish you must have wild amperage going into tank. also if a powerhead or fan cracked it can leak toxic oils into water.If your equipment is not gfi protected I would run an heavy extension cord to a gfi and see if it trips also try to unplug anything you can that is in the water and see if that helps. is the skimmer acting any different ( pulling clearer or muckier skimate out. Another option might be municipal water there has been frozen city pipes and work being done to prevent freezing and repairs might be something in water supply. just trying to help and narrow it down is all...

heath

Distinguished Member
good thinking barebottomcouple, Is there a store close to you that you can take a sample of your water in for testing, or maybe the health unit.. are you using tap water, wondering if there is run off from somewhere..I have never heard of stray voltage affecting corals..I would be looking at plutons now..

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Have you had a chance to check for stray voltage / current?

You know the heater isn't the only thing that could put stray voltage in your tank. Anything electrical could do it. Old power heads. Faulty new power heads. Faulty return pump. Skimmer pumps.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk 2
Haha I'm well aware the heater is not the only possible culprit for voltage :) Don't want to shut down skimmer or return pump, but i could unplug powerhead and see what happens.
I've had a faulty powerhead and always got a tingle in tank and no livestock seemed hurt other than kinda skittish you must have wild amperage going into tank. also if a powerhead or fan cracked it can leak toxic oils into water.If your equipment is not gfi protected I would run an heavy extension cord to a gfi and see if it trips also try to unplug anything you can that is in the water and see if that helps. is the skimmer acting any different ( pulling clearer or muckier skimate out. Another option might be municipal water there has been frozen city pipes and work being done to prevent freezing and repairs might be something in water supply. just trying to help and narrow it down is all...
Running extension to gfi is a great idea! The current outlet is not gfi, but i will be switching that out to eliminate possible voltage issues in the future.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
good thinking barebottomcouple, Is there a store close to you that you can take a sample of your water in for testing, or maybe the health unit.. are you using tap water, wondering if there is run off from somewhere..I have never heard of stray voltage affecting corals..I would be looking at plutons now..
Been using rodi since beginning of january. Brantford water is awful at the best of times!

heath

Distinguished Member
do you have another tank that you can transfer them to until you get it sorted out? The ground probes are not that expensive ( compared to some of the other equipment). Have you tested the water directly from the ro unit, maybe its screwing up, just a thought. this is crazy...