Speedy And Invisible Killer

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Anything is possible at this point! Let's pretend my heater was giving off stray voltage. If i unplugged it, would the voltage dissipate right away? Electricity has never clicked with me, so excuse my stupid questions :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
current kills not voltage, is your stuff plugged into a gfci, do you have or know someone who has a voltmeter, have you tested for ammonia.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
So here's why i hate api tests. Two ammonia tests run at the same time...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425346401.355524.jpg

saltyair

My suspect would be low oxygen the prime could be the issue. Is your tank fallow now?
Stray voltage could also be an issue - do you get a shock or tingling when you put your hands in the water? Check the heater.
So sorry for your losses, how long has the tank been up? And how long did you have the fish?
One other thing - did you add a new fish lately ? Mysterious disease ?

Try to give all the info you can.
Ph? Anything new?

Maybe someone close can get things up and going again

sunnykita

Super Active Member
can you add an air stone for extra oxygen? may not help, but won't hurt. To be on the safe side I'd remove that hood, if you had no deaths before applying the coating, it could be releasing something into the air or is it a completely closed hood? Accumulating gases? Not enough air exchange? Closed hoods are notorious for gas build up. That's why my tank is open. I'm just saying what comes in to my mind so feel free to ignore what I've written. Can you do a partial water change? I'm so sorry to hear of so many losses, hope you figure out what the problem is.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
can you add an air stone for extra oxygen? may not help, but won't hurt. To be on the safe side I'd remove that hood, if you had no deaths before applying the coating, it could be releasing something into the air or is it a completely closed hood? Accumulating gases? Not enough air exchange? Closed hoods are notorious for gas build up. That's why my tank is open. I'm just saying what comes in to my mind so feel free to ignore what I've written. Can you do a partial water change? I'm so sorry to hear of so many losses, hope you figure out what the problem is.
I did add an airstone to sump on friday, since i need it for nitraguard bomb anyway. I've never heard of hoods creating a gas exchange issue. Hope that's not the problem. I won't ignore any input/suggestions, as I'm stumped!

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Dec. 2017. Think I'm going to switch to hanna checkers. Too bad they never made a nitrate checker :(

they have a nitrate hanna checker jeff lmao

The coating is food grade once cured and solvent free :) not to mention the bigdrip in my sump did nothing lol..... seems likee gas exchange or voltage are the 2 to be looking at jeff

heath

Distinguished Member
most canopy's have open backs so I doubt it would be a gas build up.. how are things this morning? fingers crossed that there are no more losses..

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
My canopy isn't open back. Built it myself, so could open it up if it turns out to be an issue. Unplugged my heater last night. Surprisingly, temp only dropped 2 degrees to 78. What's left (eel, bird wrasse, puffer, and sailfin) seem fine, but I know that means nothing.