Speedy And Invisible Killer

bart84

I just checked my Tds. 640 at kitchen sink and 15 at the end of my ro facet. Which is good for me and I run a rented cullagen unit. It only has three stages. Sediment, carbon and ro.

Skim

Hi Jeff, as I have caught this 11 pages up I am trying to catch up. I don't know if you solved the problem or not please let me know so I can drill some questions at you. Ha ha

Skim

man I don't know but that acid scares me to death ... reef rock is so porous and absorbent....that's why we use it. and muriatic acid will eat your rock away.. just my opinion ... I think vinegar or peroxide is a safer more natural way to go... sorry just the thought of caustic acid leaching into my rock... how do you know its all out..

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
inhaling those fumes will turn your lungs into swiss cheeze seems most bleach it and prime it.... probably the safest route is peroxide
man I don't know but that acid scares me to death ... reef rock is so porous and absorbent....that's why we use it. and muriatic acid will eat your rock away.. just my opinion ... I think vinegar or peroxide is a safer more natural way to go... sorry just the thought of caustic acid leaching into my rock... how do you know its all out..
That's why i'm asking :) The biggest and best pieces i have i bought as dry rock. Don't know its history, but got about 150lbs for $85! That's why I was thinking bring out the big guns with muriatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kman

Super Active Member
Seems to be the problem started shortly after i started using rodi. So i want to use my rodi (it is taking out all phosphates), plus prime. If levels fall in line, then i can presume the rodi unit is the problem. If things are still dickered, then the sand is holding something. Does that make sense? It does in my head! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had substrate issues causing nutrient problem. I created a rubble zone thinking it would be cool. But my yellow eye and goby kept spitting crushed coral onto it. So in time the crushed coral settled under the layer of rubble and compacted. The top layer looked fine till one day I poked my fingers in a felt it. I have that section out and my nutrient problem went away. So I sand is a good spot to look once you get the source water figured out.

Kman

Super Active Member
muriaticacid used improperly will kill things for sure if it is not used properly. Unless you have someone that can show you the proper way to use it I would not. It has a special process that should be followed.

Kman

Super Active Member
The nice thing about bleach is you can remove it by using prime. If I have to clean something I use bleach.

I myself don't use peroxide. Back in the day when UV filters were popular people used peroxide through the UV reactor to make it act like Ozone. When it went across the UV it reacts to the UV rays and changes chemically and has the same effect as ozone for purafyi.g water. Not that people use UV that often anymore, I just got into the habit of not using peroxide.

Sewerat

Super Active Member
If my chemistry class memory is still functioning Muratic acid and vinegar are both the same acid both are hydrochloric acid but at lower concentrations. I'll go google to be sure. Muratic acid is used in the pool industry to lower your ph in your pool. At the same time soda ash is used to raise it, but that's another story.

That said I'd just use vinegar then water dunk for a few days then use good old UV Rays from the sun to dry and kill anything else off

I was wrong. Vinegar is acetic acid based. Muratic is hydrochloric based.

Last edited:

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I have done this with muriatic acid as have many others, it dissolves the surface layer off the rock which cleans the calcified stuff off thus opening the pores, the rock neutralizes the acid and if you want you can use baking soda to neutralize it further. Once it is thoroughly rinsed the acid is gone, as for the bleach, it evaporates so once the rock is dry it is gone as well. I you do it outside on a gravel driveway or the grass in a large tub and don't go out of your way to inhale the fumes it's not that bad, wear some rubber gloves and goggles.
Vinegar is too slow and inefficient.
The rock needs to be cooked after because it will be dead.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
I personally use vinegar or peroxide. Vinegar most times because of cost.

Muriatic acid work much faster than Vinegar, but is more dangerous to use. I personally wouldn't use it unless I can do so outside in a very ventilated area and if I needed the process to happen very quickly.

If you're not familiar with using mruatic acid. Stick with the vinegar. Use a higher concentration of vinegar and let it soak for a few days. Will have almost the same effect as muriatic, but slower and much less dangerous! Plus the fumes won't knock you on your ass!

Last edited:

Kman

Super Active Member
I myself if it is a new tank cycle the rocks in the tank. Look for sponges and dead matter and take them off. If it was an established reef tank then a separate tank to cycle is best. If it is a large amount of rock most definitely this way. No need for nuking the rock in a new setup. Been doing it that way since I started.

Jewel

I just read this entire thread, Where the hell was I when this was going on? Jeff I'm so sorry for your crash and I think cleaning it up and starting over is a great idea, Most times I've found it's easier and way less expensive. I've got to agree with Eric about the sand. I've found that old sand holds Phosphate and you can't rinse it out. Yes it gets expensive buying new sand but. You never have to worry about that old sand screwing things up later, Just my 2 cents. Seems like cleaning your rock with Acid or Vinagar or what ever is extream I would just let it die outside in the cold in bin for the rest of the winter or spring, Then scrub it really good and then put it in a Plastic drum with Salt water, Heat and a pump and do water changes until it was good enough to be Re Seeded. Or power wash it with a strong power washer even take it to the DIY car wash and spray the heck out of it. Again just my 2 cents.

reef keeper

Super Active Member
I'm trying to get my hands on a couple stock tanks. I'll be cooking a ton of old rock for my upgrade. You will have zero phosphates once it's all done