The Dream 120 Reef

Seasquirt

Too bad about the Purple, i was gonna get one but they can pretty aggresive, then i bought the small fish, it'll be awhile before i put Tangs in the tank and even then it'll be less aggresive ones. I've gotta get a clean up crew, not much though, Nazzarious, hermits and a brittle star, he will definitly get that un eaten food, great addition to any tank.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
@Seasquirt
Post this else where LOL

Honestly I’d up your flow a bit and turkey baste your rocks if your worried , let the sock try to collect and pull out , it’s probably from the lights and is kind of in avoidable if you had live rock with coralline algae this most likely wouldn’t happen , I also think there’s some chemicals you could use but I’m in the same boat , but mines not getting growth like yours reminds me more of turf ! Hope it helps !

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Wee update

got my diy led/ t5 fixture made , just need to put the hooks in the ceiling and wire up the t5s then will have proper light / closer to corals ! Lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 113

Luke.

Distinguished Member
I like it, where is the fish?

probably scared shitless from the lights after not having proper ones for 5+ months lmao

I think I’ll be adding a “hood skirt” out of some 1/2” maple plywood and stain it to match stand

Last edited:

Seasquirt

Yes i like it as well, finishing it off will really be nice, getting a nice grained wood for the sides and a stain whether you go light or dark will really pop, I'd probably go a dark stain, trying to find a nice quality wood might be difficult, don't worry about the back piece no one will see that. Pine will be good there. Very nice project, makes me think. Ive got 2 Ai Sol blues. Ive got 5 Led pendants iver my tank, i could get away with four and even two T5HO 80 watt from Reef Supplies.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
I’d use 1/2” maple plywood and stain it “expresso” or whatever the stand is stained , the stand is maple so I figured I’d try to stick with that , the top would be a skirt front and sides no back or top for better air flow / light spill don’t matter to me (unless it’s in my eyes)

Seasquirt

I was thinking that you'd just encase the fixture in wood and leave the top open, i wouldn't close that tank in. It's a beautiful set up as is,
Ya u closed mine in cause the tank is a 125 stick tank with ugly black trim on it.
If i had that tank i wouldn't close it in. Let it breath, show it off.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Gotta do what you gotta do ...

3 day black out to hit the diatoms where it hurts !
Been battling this for 6 weeks , (didn’t help I had nitrates and phosphates at 0 LNS is not what I want / what I’m going for , I currently now have it around 4-5 ppm and still 0 phos

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 100

Jason Bell

Gotta do what you gotta do ...

3 day black out to hit the diatoms where it hurts !
Been battling this for 6 weeks , (didn’t help I had nitrates and phosphates at 0 LNS is not what I want / what I’m going for , I currently now have it around 4-5 ppm and still 0 phos
Ouch, with all my tank mates and food, I don't have to worry about 0 anything. At least you have the patience to continue the battle, good luck, soon it will be grand.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Yeah see 2 damsels 3 pjs and 1 Midas is a scratch on the surface for bio load .. so once’s this is over with I’ll be looking to get the rest of the fish at once , because my damsel will pick off fish if I were to add 1-3 at a time .

Jason Bell

Yeah see 2 damsels 3 pjs and 1 Midas is a scratch on the surface for bio load .. so once’s this is over with I’ll be looking to get the rest of the fish at once , because my damsel will pick off fish if I were to add 1-3 at a time .
Sump jail for that guy. I only have issues with one, he doesn't bug fish, just bites me. For some reason I felt bad as I moved his area around, so picked up a few more pieces of live rock today to make him a new cave.

Painter Steve

Donor
Pick up a tang. Would be a good start for your bio load. You'll also be ahead of the game if you get one in now in case of algae issues. Home without any algae the tang will see it as it grows and keep it clean.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
I’m trying to figure out what to stock in here lol I’d like 2 tangs but wondering if I should just stick to one ?

Jason Bell

I’m trying to figure out what to stock in here lol I’d like 2 tangs but wondering if I should just stick to one ?
A couple for sure, my little Chevron picks all day and none of the others bother him. Then find a Kole or something different. Funny, not one of mine will eat Nori, I've tried every version I could order and nothing. That Vitalis stuff must have something going as they go nuts for that ring.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
I really like the white tailed bristle tooth and maybe a purple tang would be a nice pair or yellow tang

Seasquirt

You could get one tang and a Foxface, they love the algae as well, A Yellow is a great addition, they are very pretty, will eat algae all day, only thing with them is they won’t share their tank with another tang unless the Yellow is added last.