The Dream 120 Reef

Luke.

Distinguished Member
I'm using a Spectrapure 90 gpd at 80psi, I get just over 4g/h but would like to swap that out and the 180 unit. I'm sourcing a couple vertical 115g tanks, one for salt and one for RO.

Daannggg , going all out! What size is your set up?

Jason Bell

Daannggg , going all out! What size is your set up?
Same as yours, 120g display, 15g tank both tied in to a 100g sump. I'm just trying to make things a little easier for myself, get down to how I really want it, then will add the Apex with Trident and whatever other things that will help me.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Up and running and started the cycle ! Just doing pellets for now then will add Brightwell start xlm,

Few things to tweak like the skimmer and ato other then that it’ll be a hood in 2-3 months and add the lights , then fish and corals :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 198

Jason Bell

I did what you did Luke, started right away with bio pellets and a couple bottles of bio Spira. Now several months later the pellets are gone, just use carbon, Fauna bio balls and some GFO.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
@Jason Bell still on the cycle , about 4 1/2 weeks along now , will probably get a fish within 2 weeks just getting the qt area ready and when I’m ready for my 1st water change I’ll use that for the qt tank , Got my refuge light set up and then it’s just the hood which I need done within 5 weeks ,
Got @TORX making me a feeder tube and holder for my euro brace and some mp controller holders .

Jason Bell

Excellent! I need a couple holders as well, 3 would do the trick as things are getting to be a wire nightmare. Need one also for the Octo controller.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Update
Seen big als kitchener had purple tangs for 129.99 , and couldn’t resist , Definitely my fav tang

under the stairs a have a 20g long set up for a qt he will be in there for 2 weeks , while I watch him.

Attachments

• B6001211-E2B4-411D-AF2C-B432E97F0CFC.jpeg
    B6001211-E2B4-411D-AF2C-B432E97F0CFC.jpeg
    1,019.5 KB · Views: 146
  • CF9321BC-BBB6-48B2-B51B-42659A5A7103.jpeg
    CF9321BC-BBB6-48B2-B51B-42659A5A7103.jpeg
    632 KB · Views: 155

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Love it, would like to add one but my yellow tang and black tang are a**holes.

hahha , I would like to add another tang as soon as he goes in the 120 g and let the 2 fight it out then I’ll add my little guys . Worst case I do a 24hr black out , idc because it’s a new tank with no corals so nothing to lose ,

thoughts on this ? again didn’t think/ overly plan on buying a tang out the gate as first fish

Jason Bell

Mine chased each other for about 2 weeks, by that nothing overly aggressive, more posturing. The yellow tang I bought as a baby, about 1.5" now is over 6", I've had him for over 2 years, was always the lone tang. Back in March I added the black tang and he is just food crazy, too fast for the yellow as well. My regal angel is the big guy and more like the security for everyone in the tank, will calm the damsels down and anyone else that gets out of line.

I've personally never had an issue with any of my fish, but I do research plenty of what others have had success with. I would like to add more fish, but I know right now tank can't have any more and all my guys have their own space.

When I get the larger tank, I will plan well in advance for what I want. I take great pride in saying this guy I've cared for over 7 years, this guy 6 years etc.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
1 week with the tang in the qt as of tomorrow , and have seen a spot or 2 pop up , but has gone in a day he’s been eating
Mysis
Algae sheets
Flakes
And pellets (only soaked in some garlic )
I’m pretty sure next weekend if there’s no other signs I’ll put him in the 120 and look ASAP for a 3-4” powder brown

Matt1997

1 week with the tang in the qt as of tomorrow , and have seen a spot or 2 pop up , but has gone in a day he’s been eating
Mysis
Algae sheets
Flakes
And pellets (only soaked in some garlic )
I’m pretty sure next weekend if there’s no other signs I’ll put him in the 120 and look ASAP for a 3-4” powder brown
I have a 3/4” brown

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Well small update
Tanks going well , been doing 25g water changes daily because nitrates were around 50ppm from the cycle feeding a empty tank food twice a day for about 3-4 weeks definitely takes a while to get back down , but currently sitting around 15ppm max ,

unfortunately the purple tang didn’t make it , did very good in qt for 3 weeks but the jump to the new tank , he got extremely stressed and passed within days ,

currant fish atm are
3 pj cardinals
3 blue yellow tail damsels

still not going to do any inverts , the acid bath has been awesome for my rocks , as long as I keep ph down I should keep algae under control , I have 0 algae in the rocks and it’s been months and couldn’t be happier !

I’m also running a Kessil a160 for light to look at the fish 12hrs on and just enough intensity to turn the light on . Going to keep gunning for a low nitrates .

today will be working in the rodi (I’m burning though di in 3 weeks .. I desperately need to add a flush before the di. That’ll be today’s job . :)

Seasquirt

Just read this thread, adding Tang first in my opinion is a no no but not ny tank. You've had some uos and downs. Making your own rock, boy you've got patience. I think you're a lot like me, building the system is the fun part and seems like burning through cash isnt an issue. Good luck Luke, tagging along for sure.