The Nexus Reef

sunnykita

Super Active Member
amazing Adam ! any thoughts on how I can go bare bottom and section a spot for my wrasses with some base for them? I'm really liking the look of the bare bottom tanks I see more and more !

nexusnight

Thanks all, I did indeed build the tank, I'm really happy with how things have come together. Now to put the final touches on the stand...
Bare bottom is the way to go IMO. Love how clean it looks. It's super easy to siphon the detritus and debris that settles,

Sunnykita u could do a container with sand for ur wrasses if u really wanted, I think they would kick sand out all the time though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Thanks all, I did indeed build the tank, I'm really happy with how things have come together. Now to put the final touches on the stand...
Bare bottom is the way to go IMO. Love how clean it looks. It's super easy to siphon the detritus and debris that settles,

Sunnykita u could do a container with sand for ur wrasses if u really wanted, I think they would kick sand out all the time though.

Tank looks awesome!! And i agree about barebottom, also has some good that comes with it when growing sps. Also believe me when i say the wrasses will kick sand out. Mine did, theres litterally no sand left in the container. Just piled up now in dead spots... lol so much for a sandless bottom haha.

nexusnight

Yah half the reason I went bb was cause I want to grow sps this time round. The larger bomie is going to be mainly sps, or I hope at least lol. Also have say really glad I painted the bottom pain white. Reflects a ton of light!:)

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Tank looks awesome!! And i agree about barebottom, also has some good that comes with it when growing sps. Also believe me when i say the wrasses will kick sand out. Mine did, theres litterally no sand left in the container. Just piled up now in dead spots... lol so much for a sandless bottom haha.
Mine tend to hide more in the rockwork than anything, I don't think I've ever seen them actually in or coming out of the bed of the tank. I may be able to go bare bottom ! I have a pair of greenbird wrasses, male and female

sunnykita

Super Active Member
U could go bare, ;)..... Like u say they hide more in the rocks, I've found the larger the wrasse the less they go in the sand, at least in aquarium life anyway

these guys are a good size, you can see them if you stop in to Sealife, they're in the back of the store being boarded. I think it will make keeping the tank cleaner much easier with no base. What type of paint did you use for the bottom glass on your tank Adam?

nexusnight

I'll have to check em out! I used the rust oleum brand flat white. It's the stuff that bonds to everything lol, just make sure you let it cure for a good day first. As I'm sure u know paint on glass never bonds great. Also wipe down the glass with acetone. Helps with adhesion and gets an grease ect off.