Darryl_V's 200G SPS reef......

B

Bill@IA

Darryl_V link said:
Hey guys...someone on RC was asking about my reef keeping methods and I thought I would repost here encase someone gets something out of it.

CeeGee;20757868 said:
Darryl,

When you do get time can you go over in great detail how you care for this tank?

I see a lot of people that ask about this piece of equipment and that piece of equipment as if these things make nice tanks by adding them.

I am currently struggling with my tank and have been for a long time. I run some really nice equipment. There is obviously some type of mistake being made and I think it lies in the \"elbow grease\".

Proper maintenance is not often discussed and I think it is severely overlooked.
Hey CeeGee.  Sorry for not doing this earlier but here is method which I feel is pretty well based on elbow grease and the KISS theory, like I mentioned.

-20% water change bi-weekly
-Strong skimming
-Strong and Random flow (I have 2xtunze 6100 and a wavebox which I love)
-Strong light with lots of blue spectrum (I run 2x400w XM20k, 2xVHO superactinic and 20 x 3w cree royal blue LED, I will probably replace the VHO with either T5HO or more LED in the future)
-Feed a variety and a substantial amount of food (I use PE mysis,NLS pellet, NORI, RN tiger pods, OMEGA flake etc)
-Have the means to export the organic waste before it turns to NO3 and PO4 (skimmer) and deal with NO3 and PO4 when they occur (GFO, and personally I like and use bio-pellets).  Bio-pellets may not be necessary but with out them I surely would need to feed less and/or provide more water changes and/or more GFO and/or a larger skimmer to get that nutrient balance I'm after.
-Stable chemistry and major element replenishment (Personally I choose to do DIY 2 part on dosers).  Also remember that Alk is the most important element to watch.  Alk will get utilized twice as fast as calcium (our balanced 2 part makes up for this) yet has less than half the amount in seawater.  It also effects pH.

The only thing I dose other than ALK, CA and MG is I use coral snow once a week when I blow the rocks off and stir the top portion of sand.  I feel it helps keep cyano in check.

Careful and experienced observation is super important as well.  Coral placement and watching the corals to see reactions and slowly making changes.  IE. corals are dull and brown....look at your nutrient levels being too high or your lighting too weak.  Coral pale....look at your nutrient levels being to low (ie too clean not feeding enough) and/or your lighting being too strong or photoperiod too long.  Also look to see if your temperature is fairly consistent (mine floats 3 degrees and maybe 4 no problem but never over 81).  Also if your colors are good but you experience rounded tips and slow growth, take a look at your flow.  And always be on the look out for pests.

HTH

And for kicks, my buddy jroovers came over and took some amazing photo's and macros for me.  He's a great photography so thanks goes to him.  He also has an amazing reef too if you want to check it out.  http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2175051

anyway here is a couple shots he took for me....a nice macro of the caroliniana
DarrylsTOTMPhotos-55.jpg

and my palmers millepora
DarrylsTOTMPhotos-38.jpg

Thank you for the dedication to your fellow reef hobbyists. Much appreciated.

The 20% Bi-Weekly water change surprised me. Considering how good your water parameters are day in and day out. That kind of elbow grease really shows how dedicated you are.  ........and how important it must really be.

:)

jroovers

Super Active Member
Darryl, your tank is looking fantastic as always.  After getting home from seeing your tank, I didn't fall into a deep depression when looking at my own tank as I normally do after viewing yours... so hopefully that means I'm on the right track!  On a related note, it is easy to make photos look good with A+ subject matter to work with. ;D

In regards to that Palmer's Blue, I have cloned frags of this exact coral up for grabs still.  It, along with all of Darryl's corals, is a beauty. 

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
teebone110 link said:
You should be honoured as the first thefragtank.ca TOTM!

When will reefcentral be featuring your tank? As far as I'm concerned, there isn't any that are better.

Like his ego needs any more stroking :)

B

Bill@IA

teebone110 link said:
When will reefcentral be featuring your tank? As far as I'm concerned, there isn't any that are better.

November is as good a month as any.

:)

jroovers

Super Active Member
davesolo29 link said:
I thought his tank was already on ReefCentral.  I know it was in an article somewhere at the very least.

Darryl has a tank thread in the SPS forum... but hasn't been a RC TOTM yet... that is an honour I think few around these parts have achieved.  He had one of his photos used in reefkeeping magazine as well I believe.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I also assumed it would have been TOTM by now too, there's a lot that make the front page that are WAY weaker than his.  Hell, way weaker than a few of the tanks around here.

jroovers

Super Active Member
Looks like they finally changed their "Tank Of The Quarter" and there is a new November TOTM.  Here's hoping for December...

Thmh

Website Affiliate
Truely amazing tank, i was lucky enough to get to see it in person.....he helped me picked up my jaw off the ground.