ultimate.jpg

Some LPS
P5265554.jpg

P5265550.jpg

P5265541.jpg

And a group shot...
P5265530.jpg

phatpaco

I have heard sooo much about your tank from Rick and just recently from Rob (cash-mili has amazing colours!!)  I decided to have a look....After looking at just the first picture of your tank, I have decided to sell everything off and quit the hobby...Maybe I can collect rocks or something....WOW man!!!!! I am so depressed now...LOL

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Um......thanks I guess.  haha.  My first tank wasn't a complete success and never looked like this.  This is years of dedication, experience and passion for the hobby.

Here are some more new pics....

P5265529.jpg

P5265528.jpg

P5265505.jpg

P5265499.jpg

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Darryl:

Everything looks so wonderful.  I'm green with envy but also inspired that maybe someday my tank may look like this.  Can't wait to meet you someday. :)

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
thanks guys....

Derek...no that is a red/pink hyincathus....a solid plating acro.  Plates more than the red planet but colour combo is similar.  It could be the RR red planet! ;)

The ORA red planet is brighter though IME.

spyd

Super Active Member
Went over to Darryl's last night. Star struck as all ways!! His tank is honestly the BEST reef tank around that I have seen to date. Seriously, well done man. Your SPS seem to just thrive like crazy in your setup!!! Thanks again for those frags. Oh and post a pic of that Space Invaders you picked up! That thing is SICK!!!

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
teebone110 link said:
where did you find that?? 8)
On a trip down south..... 8)  Google it and you will probably find a few vendors selling it. 

Just a single photo....lacking time to take and post as many pictures as I want lately.  Maybe I will have a photo blast in the near future.

P8216063.jpg

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
jroovers link said:
very nice  :D
thanks man....who would have thought this would turn into what it has....I just remember my old 55g before I dragged you into this mess.

Salty Cracker link said:
If by 'share' you mean frag...that's awesome.  ;)
Sure.  I will put you in line for the beginning of 2014.  :p  Money up front of course.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Hey guys...someone on RC was asking about my reef keeping methods and I thought I would repost here encase someone gets something out of it.

Darryl,

When you do get time can you go over in great detail how you care for this tank?

I see a lot of people that ask about this piece of equipment and that piece of equipment as if these things make nice tanks by adding them.

I am currently struggling with my tank and have been for a long time. I run some really nice equipment. There is obviously some type of mistake being made and I think it lies in the \"elbow grease\".

Proper maintenance is not often discussed and I think it is severely overlooked.
Hey CeeGee.  Sorry for not doing this earlier but here is method which I feel is pretty well based on elbow grease and the KISS theory, like I mentioned.

-20% water change bi-weekly
-Strong skimming
-Strong and Random flow (I have 2xtunze 6100 and a wavebox which I love)
-Strong light with lots of blue spectrum (I run 2x400w XM20k, 2xVHO superactinic and 20 x 3w cree royal blue LED, I will probably replace the VHO with either T5HO or more LED in the future)
-Feed a variety and a substantial amount of food (I use PE mysis,NLS pellet, NORI, RN tiger pods, OMEGA flake etc)
-Have the means to export the organic waste before it turns to NO3 and PO4 (skimmer) and deal with NO3 and PO4 when they occur (GFO, and personally I like and use bio-pellets).  Bio-pellets may not be necessary but with out them I surely would need to feed less and/or provide more water changes and/or more GFO and/or a larger skimmer to get that nutrient balance I'm after.
-Stable chemistry and major element replenishment (Personally I choose to do DIY 2 part on dosers).  Also remember that Alk is the most important element to watch.  Alk will get utilized twice as fast as calcium (our balanced 2 part makes up for this) yet has less than half the amount in seawater.  It also effects pH.

The only thing I dose other than ALK, CA and MG is I use coral snow once a week when I blow the rocks off and stir the top portion of sand.  I feel it helps keep cyano in check.

Careful and experienced observation is super important as well.  Coral placement and watching the corals to see reactions and slowly making changes.  IE. corals are dull and brown....look at your nutrient levels being too high or your lighting too weak.  Coral pale....look at your nutrient levels being to low (ie too clean not feeding enough) and/or your lighting being too strong or photoperiod too long.  Also look to see if your temperature is fairly consistent (mine floats 3 degrees and maybe 4 no problem but never over 81).  Also if your colors are good but you experience rounded tips and slow growth, take a look at your flow.  And always be on the look out for pests.

HTH

And for kicks, my buddy jroovers came over and took some amazing photo's and macros for me.  He's a great photography so thanks goes to him.  He also has an amazing reef too if you want to check it out.  http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2175051

anyway here is a couple shots he took for me....a nice macro of the caroliniana
DarrylsTOTMPhotos-55.jpg

and my palmers millepora
DarrylsTOTMPhotos-38.jpg