Reefers 135g Sps Dominated Reef.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Its only a 5'light so it will be a half foot shorter on eachside, but no biggie, ill.try chalice or something off to the sides. Cant wait to get this rockin. Just gotta figure out my plumbing get my return hooked up and fill er up!!
pumps waiting for yea! if you have any questions about plumbing to just ask, ive done my fair share lol

sunnykita

Super Active Member
I think those are 90's I gave you Riley, you add them to the end of the stand/straight pipe coming down from the tank. You may need a small piece of straight pipe to connect them. Try it dry without adhesive to find the right fit into the sump. You might want to ask how far down into the sump you should have the pipe go too.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Thenstand pipe is for inside the overflow i believe
Correct... I believe Brandon was saying to install one 90 at the top of the pipe, followed by another 90 that will then point down. So you'll be making almost like a candy cane kind of shape. You'll need to use the tiniest piece of pipe to connect the 90s together.

The reason for this shape is that the water pressure build in this upside down U, and once it gets strong enough to push water up one side and down the other, it creates a siphon - which is silent. Essentially the exact same design as the full siphon pipe in a beananimal overflow.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Correct... I believe Brandon was saying to install one 90 at the top of the pipe, followed by another 90 that will then point down. So you'll be making almost like a candy cane kind of shape. You'll need to use the tiniest piece of pipe to connect the 90s together.

The reason for this shape is that the water pressure build in this upside down U, and once it gets strong enough to push water up one side and down the other, it creates a siphon - which is silent. Essentially the exact same design as the full siphon pipe in a beananimal overflow.
How high should the stand pipe be?

curiousphil

Super Active Member
That is where personal opinion comes into play... I would say high enough that the sound of water falling into the overflow is almost nullified. So that will be different on every tank. Assemble the 90s together and figure out how tall that bit will be, then hold it in the overflow so that the bottom is just an inch or so below your overflow teeth, then measure the gap from the bottom of the 90s to the bottom of your overflow box. Thats approximately how tall your stand pipe will need to be.

Last edited:

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
also something to note, dont glue the stand pipe into the bulkhead, a dry fit will do just fine as rarely is there enough pressure to cause it to leak
i do this to all my drains, its so much easier to take apart and adjust etc etc.

riley, how did you do with cutting the bottom of the stand out?

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Next thing i have to do is run a new electrical line to my room, so my tank is on its own breaker, then get this light hung. Well before the light i have to make sure this is where i want the tank lol. Where can i get a stand pipe, and all the plumbing pieces i need. The pieces i have here are to big.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
also something to note, dont glue the stand pipe into the bulkhead, a dry fit will do just fine as rarely is there enough pressure to cause it to leak
i do this to all my drains, its so much easier to take apart and adjust etc etc.

riley, how did you do with cutting the bottom of the stand out?
ill have to deal with a tight fit in the fuge. How big of a bulk head will.i need for that 35 g brandon?

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Also i cant seem to get anything to thread on to this bulkhead.. this is what im using and was told thats how the previous person had it set up. Any idea of what im doing wrong, ive tried spinning both ways as well.