180 gallon build.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
reeferkeeper420 link said:
The tanks not leaking, i dont see how +50$ in silicone is gonna make this tank more stable? Im more worried its rimless when it wasnt suppose to be. Sorry for venting but this is just getting to much.. i jist dropped all this money on rock, planning on filling it up next weekend and starting to cycle. And now im back square 1. And basically out a bunch of money. First the sump got cracked and now the tank. A whole new set up by the sounds of things.
The silicone deteriorates from the outside in, ounce the seam is exposed then the seam begins to deteriorate, it's a very thin amount of silicone in the seam and when it goes it's a failure, an all over the floor, everything might be dead failure.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
But i feel like we keep getting away from the actual problem.. thats theres no more brace. I dont want to even consoder trying to strip and resilicone if the tank itself wont be structurally sound, regardless of new silicone. Do u know what i mean?

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
If it is 3/4" glass, it probably didn't have a brace just a plastic rim to protect the edge of the glass.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Its definately 3/4 thick.. i dont know what to do..it took me nearly a halg hour for the two front seals and there was barely anything there.i cant reach the bottom.of the tank let alone the back bttom corners and so on.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
You need the tank on the floor in the middle of the room so you can get around it, find somebody to give you a hand.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Its drilled in the bottom corners with the bulkheads sticking out. They wont come out. It took 4of us to get it where it is. There is literally no where for that to be done.

benzzz

I know if I was closer I would be all over helping you out. Love challenges like that. Take your time. sometimes the silicone will come off good with changing blades often.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
You could support the tank on some pieces of wood on the floor, it's going to be very difficult if you can't get around the tank, but still doable.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
The only thing I can suggest is to take your time and work at it over a few days, try to find someone to help, as far as taping the corners to get a nice line for the silicone you only have to do the verticals, the bottom doesn't have to look perfect, definately have some help when siliconing because you have to work fast because it skims fast and you can't get that really nice finish if it is skimmed.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
just climb right in it on the stand.. you wont crack it.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
wait.. at least i dont think you will.. right guys?

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
If i knew it needed fixing i would have never bought it obviously. And of course it is. I didnt buy the fucking tank as a fixit project. And thats all its been aince i bought it from the  stand to the sump to the skimmer and now the tank. How am i suppose to react? Happy go lucky, that i have to now spend a cpl days stripping down the tank and re siliconing for it to hopefully not split on me since ive now re done all the silicone and hope ive done it right. This isnt a little 55gallon tank, or i wouldnt give a shit and would have it filled already. I dont need 1000$'s in floor damage and livestock loss. So yeah im a little skepticle and not happy about having to strip the tank down.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
dude everything in this hobby requires fixing, DIY'ing, fabbing up, modifying.. etc etc especially when buying used.. sometimes even when buying new stuff.. if its pissing you off just sell it on kijiji, take a bit of a loss and keep looking for another tank.. if your going to find gratification and a sense of accomplishment from taking that shitty tank and turning it into a kick ass tank then buck up and take the time to get the silicone job done and do the right job the first time and know yourself that you did it right. Then when you fill it up and the water clears up for the first time and your lights are illuminating the crap out of your rocks you can stand back and look at it knowing what a good job you did. either way you go has its ups and downs and they aren't right or wrong and both will get you a sweet tank, but do you want to spend more money and do less work or save money and work harder i guess is what it boils down to.

benzzz

I would have to agree with Duke. Many of us that have been in the hobby 10 + years have seen our share of mess ups accidents and small projects that turned into what you are facing. I spent one time all day and into 4 am finishing a guys acrylic tank and sump just for him to show up at 8 am to tell me he wanted a couple things changed..... sucks man. I hope you drink coffee or smoke cause I would take a break and do a bit at a time. lol.  Works for me.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
heres the deal... nobody here can tell you what to do.  nobody here knows if your tank will hold water long term.  nobody here knows if your tank will hold water at all.  you posted the question about the integrity of your tank and we are all telling you what WE would do to give ourselves peace of mind.
You can go ahead and fill it the way it is, OR, since you are obviously questioning the tank yourself, you must think it requires work or you never would have posted the questions here.  I would take the advice... put in a few hours of elbow grease and make it something that you feel confident about.