Coral Show Off Thread

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Glen,

Great looking stuff!!! Your buds are looking excellent under led.
I can't wait to see that PM grow out under the LEDs..... :)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Reef Hero link said:
Glen,

Great looking stuff!!! Your buds are looking excellent under led.
I can't wait to see that PM grow out under the LEDs..... :)

We'll see, he's sort of just siting there, but colour is good.  It might be one of those that has to settle in before he does anything, who knows. 

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I don't think the PM has been a fast grower for anyone...... Even looking at threads on other forums....it seems to be slow and this is likely what keeps the price high.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Reef Hero link said:
I don't think the PM has been a fast grower for anyone...... Even looking at threads on other forums....it seems to be slow and this is likely what keeps the price high.

Oh hey, not complaining! :)  Just saying it's not doing much at the mo.  I find each coral has to do its own thing.  Some of the ones that like to lay down a huge base first, sometimes are the finest pieces.  I have a red (convexa?) that did so little for almost a year that I almost gave it the boot, but now it's starting to show tips, thing is, it's not really red lol. 

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Not being a jerk... and I've been through it when I was a ripe newb...but do you find a lot of your colour drops right out of your sps and you end up with brown or beige coral?

Just wondering, it really did take me about a year (and $$$) to get my acros to colour up.  In fact, it took me 15 years to get acros to colour up lol. 

theyangman

Distinguished Member
I find it can be hit or miss. Yes I have had my share of casualties, of either browning out or dying completely. However I do have many corals that have kept their colors and are as vibrant as when I picked them up from their respective tanks.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4

theyangman

Distinguished Member
I wonder what the trick is? I feel that my system lacks nothing versus any of the other systems on here that are thriving and doing well. I spared zero expense finding the right equipment and I have not really half assed anything when it comes to the tank. I can only really chalk it up to stability and good routine. Which is now only really being implemented but I have seen great progress in my parameters and I hope that the corals all come around and I too will be able to boast some of the best stuff around!

jroovers

Super Active Member
theyangman link said:
I wonder what the trick is? I feel that my system lacks nothing versus any of the other systems on here that are thriving and doing well. I spared zero expense finding the right equipment and I have not really half assed anything when it comes to the tank. I can only really chalk it up to stability and good routine. Which is now only really being implemented but I have seen great progress in my parameters and I hope that the corals all come around and I too will be able to boast some of the best stuff around!

Your phosphate levels without a doubt explain some of your casualties.  Patience is a virtue, especially with SPS.  You can keep throwing money in your tank, but it isn't an alternative for learning through doing... with time it will all come together but there will be bumps in the road. 

theyangman

Distinguished Member
0.08 is that bad? Well sure, they have only recently reached this level in my tank but having a holding pattern of anything around 0.03 I heard is ok.

theyangman

Distinguished Member
I have slowed down a lot on buying any livestock for the tank. I buy one or two things here or there as tank conditions are improving but I really do wish I had held off on some of my larger purchases that I made early.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
theyangman link said:
0.08 is that bad? Well sure, they have only recently reached this level in my tank but having a holding pattern of anything around 0.03 I heard is ok.

you want 0.0000000000

theyangman

Distinguished Member
Poseidon link said:
[quote author=theyangman link=topic=4331.msg61622#msg61622 date=1379945429]

you want 0.0000000000
[/quote]

Well the phosphates have been dropping over the past month pretty consistently. I hope to be the 0.00 club soon enough.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
theyangman link said:
[quote author=Poseidon link=topic=4331.msg61626#msg61626 date=1379945880]
[quote author=theyangman link=topic=4331.msg61622#msg61622 date=1379945429]

you want 0.0000000000
[/quote]

Well the phosphates have been dropping over the past month pretty consistently. I hope to be the 0.00 club soon enough.
[/quote]

thats great, then you have to wait for a couple weeks/months so everything is 100% stable and then you will see some growth and colour :)

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
theyangman link said:
Ha ha ha, I'm kidding, and yeah, I could use all the help in the world to get my shit going in the right direction. lol.

U just need patience.. Go read Darryls reef central tank of the month article.. He puts it out there in blatantly simple terms.. There's no tricks or secrets, nutrient management is the key to having success.. After that cal/alk/mag  levels and stability are next.. Lighting imo is the least important these days with so many good choices around.

theyangman

Distinguished Member
Patience... what a yucky word. In most aspects of my life I have always substituted money for patience and it has worked out ok for me. Yet in this hobby there seems to be no way around it.