Coral Show Off Thread

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I have to admit... Darryl is sort of the guy to watch.  He has what I almost consider "overstocked", yet he doesn't suffer the losses that I see in a lot of "overstocked" tanks.  I think (I may be wrong) that he is careful in mixing and matching regions when it comes to corals, ie: he doesn't put a gulf coral next to a fiji or australian.  I'm not sure but if anyone was that careful it would be him. 

Overstocking of fish is also a big nono for me, too hard to keep corals looking good when they're overloaded with nutrients, they all go dark brown.

To be honest, I don't think your setup is to blame, it's the maturity of the tank (and the owner)  :popcorn:.  It really takes a good lot of time for a system to balance itself out and settle in.  There's war going on in there, and when one faction wins, it might just kill off something your corals were using for food, or a pest suddenly explodes unchecked, etc.  Once your tank is stable, and you have a really really constant schedule of water changes and dosing, then things sort of just start doing well on their own (well and you also get a feel for where you can put certain coral in your tank and have it do well).

My biggest earlier mistake was bulbs...I always left them too long and the spectrum would be weak and wonky for months.  LED fixed that, as I likely would still be slack.  Hence my love of the LED.  :)

curiousphil

Super Active Member
It seems that in all of the build threads I read, things don't start to do much of anything until 6 months, and no serious growth until after the 1 year mark.  I have a green cap that I got from Tyler back in May and it's only just starting to encrust really good now.  This journey into reefkeeping has been a lesson in patience for me - also one of trial and error, and learning through mistakes!

I spent a good 6 months of research into types of corals, coral biology (how nutrient levels, different spectrums of light, and flow patterns affect them), tank mechanics, and water chemistry before beginning my tank build.  Thought I knew everything I needed to know.  But knowing is different than doing!!  After months of battling algae, high nutrients, and temperature swings - causing the loss of about 6 frags - my tank finally seems to be stabilizing somewhat.  Colours are staying on the new additions I added two weekends ago, and improving on my older ones... things are encrusting, and I am now just sitting back and doing my regular maintenance.  Hoping that in another 6 months things will start to fill out.

Slow and steady wins the race, as they say.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Once your there and your tank matures and u figure out what your doing u can skip the patience and throw your money at large colonies instead of waiting for small frags to grow out like the rest of us..

C

copperkills

My JF Jacko Lepto growing nicely under my psychadelic LEDs.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
i dont think i've ever posted a photo in this thread.. heres 3 cyphastrea corals i have that i really like

214.JPG

035.JPG

037.JPG

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
copperkills link said:
My JF Jacko Lepto growing nicely under my psychadelic LEDs.

Very nice Copper!! The Jacko is super super cool!!! We never see much lepto in the hobby, yet alone a piece like this!! The other bonus is that it seems to be a very hardy coral that is very fast growing. I would say that it is likely the coral I've seen have the largest price drop in the span of just a small time (1-2 years). So good and bad I guess but definitely shows how growth (rarity) affects the price of a coral more so than actual "awesomeness" appearance of said coral..... I mean I still love the look of a nice dragon soul Favia or sunset monti.....couple of my faves actually and they are super cheap now:)

C

copperkills

Duke link said:
i dont think i've ever posted a photo in this thread.. heres 3 cyphastrea corals i have that i really like

214.JPG

035.JPG

037.JPG

Ohhh...likes me the look of that branching piece...i bet it glows nicely under blues!!!

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
theyangman link said:
This thread took a real detour off a cliff a few pages back.... lol

Yea it kinda did lol.... But hey its TFT.... So who cares!! Lol
Tony, this hobby is truly rewarding but requires extreme patience.... Not to point the finger at you but people like you lol (impatient that is haha) is my guess why there are so many unnecessary products out there.... No money or anything for that matter will buy patience and the care your corals need. I strongly suggest reading every article published by randy Holmes-Farley....not just to you but everyone. If you don't understand it, read it again or research further until you do :) In the beginning stages, testing testing testing is very important as I tell everyone, "you cannot tell parameters by looking at your water" lol
It sounds like you are on the right track so just keep up the hard work and you will be good to grow so enough.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Uh Oh.....I see some posts deleted.  I just want everyone to know (mostly Tony) that I was just kidd'n around. 

Nice JOL Ty.  And Ben.....really comparing the rarity of the JOL with sunset montipora.  For one my JOL doesnt grow that fast....I mean for an LPS its not bad but its no were near the rate of growth of montipora.  Secondly there is like what 3 people in Canada I know with this piece.  Pretty rare around here and still fairly rare in the US as well.  Price is still $300 per frag on jasonfox and Cherry corals is $100 for 1/2"sq.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Darryl_V link said:
Uh Oh.....I see some posts deleted.  I just want everyone to know (mostly Tony) that I was just kidd'n around. 

Nice JOL Ty.  And Ben.....really comparing the rarity of the JOL with sunset montipora.  For one my JOL doesnt grow that fast....I mean for an LPS its not bad but its no were near the rate of growth of montipora.  Secondly there is like what 3 people in Canada I know with this piece.  Pretty rare around here and still fairly rare in the US as well.  Price is still $300 per frag on jasonfox and Cherry corals is $100 for 1/2\"sq.

Sorry I should clarify as I ramble on sometimes in my own little world.... I was not comparing the JOL to monti.... What I meant to say about the Favia and monti is that with all the other pricier and rarer ones I still really like the dragon soul and sunset apart from the others. The JOL is still rare, agreed.... Especially here in our area. Really, it seems that any lepto is rare here.....
BTW, did you happen to catch the last jfox live sale and see the prices on his newest leptos.....jeepers! :)

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Darryl_V link said:

This thread is a coral show off thread, not who has the most penis envy thread, so yes,  I trimmed it down to coral related posts.

PS...that does not mean start an envy thread either.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 4

C

copperkills

Darryl_V link said:

Nice JOL Ty.  And Ben.....really comparing the rarity of the JOL with sunset montipora.  For one my JOL doesnt grow that fast....I mean for an LPS its not bad but its no were near the rate of growth of montipora.  Secondly there is like what 3 people in Canada I know with this piece.  Pretty rare around here and still fairly rare in the US as well.  Price is still $300 per frag on jasonfox and Cherry corals is $100 for 1/2\"sq.

When I got my frag it hadnt fully encrusted the top of the plug,  that was roughly 4 months ago.  Its fully encrusted now and extends about 1/4" beyond.  I have recently began feeding it and it has popped out about 4 new eyes.    This is an interesting piece,  as the entire skirt(new growth) extends when happy and shrinks up when disturbed.  My fav piece for sure!  And downright bright  seeing only 10par!!!

spyd

Super Active Member
I see a trade in the future!!!! ;)

copperkills link said:
[quote author=Darryl_V link=topic=4331.msg61753#msg61753 date=1379989798]

When I got my frag it hadnt fully encrusted the top of the plug,  that was roughly 4 months ago.  Its fully encrusted now and extends about 1/4" beyond.  I have recently began feeding it and it has popped out about 4 new eyes.    This is an interesting piece,  as the entire skirt(new growth) extends when happy and shrinks up when disturbed.  My fav piece for sure!  And downright bright  seeing only 10par!!!
[/quote]

theyangman

Distinguished Member
Darryl_V link said:

Apology not accepted. Forgiveness can only be granted through frags....

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
theyangman link said:
[quote author=Darryl_V link=topic=4331.msg61753#msg61753 date=1379989798]

Apology not accepted. Forgiveness can only be granted through frags....
[/quote]Good thing I didnt apologize than...... I just said I was kidd'n  ;)

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
jroovers link said:
[quote author=Duke link=topic=4331.msg61733#msg61733 date=1379983673]

214.JPG

Really like this photo, very nice
[/quote]

+1 beauty shot Duke and gorgeous piece...that one is on my must have list!